• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Windshield Gasket Leaking

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I have found all the leaks and there is a new one [YAY!] and it's the only one I figure I'd ask around for the best way to solve the problem.

Hadn't noticed it until yesterday when we had a wonderful sideways thunderstorm AND I was driving on the highway. But it's there and I've seen the separation since I bought her, but this is the first time I've noted that it was physically leaking.

Looks like I've got a slow, but steady leak in front windshield gasket at the passenger bottom corner.

So, uh, how should I fix this?
1. Shadetree Style - Get some weatherproof roof sealant/caulk and attempt to fill/mold? Of course after removing the trim...
2. The right and expensive new gasket?

I mean, PO def used some caulk around the edges of the it already; so it's not like I'd be lipsticking a pig. She's already got a base layer of powder.

Pics are below. The one with my hand wouldn't take well, but there's also a small, vertical separation there too. Smaller than the outer, horizontal one; but still present.

Attachments

• IMG_1075.jpg
    IMG_1075.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_1077.jpg
    IMG_1077.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_1080.jpg
    IMG_1080.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_1081.jpg
    IMG_1081.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_1082.jpg
    IMG_1082.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 64

Timstrk

You can do two things. Park in the garage or best, get the new gasket. Mine did that and temp fixes are just that. Best of luck.

Tony Mele

Well ain't that funny. Mine leaks in exactly the same place. When it's raining sideways. I went with the shade tree approach for now. Some clear silicone. This winter when she's parked I'll do the bigger job. Not sure if my temporary fix has worked but I'll know the next time it starts pouring rain and I see if that drip-drip-drip starts again!

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
That gasket is pretty toast, silicon with a new gasket
It it doesn’t really rain here so what do I know

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
Ford used window calking half way down the side of the glass and a big blob of sealer in each corner. The pulled out trim isnt the problem with leakage unless its acting like a funnel. Its just pushed in slots in the rubber. If you pull the window out cut out the old gasket on the inside. Trying to get the old seal over the ledge you risk breaking the glass due to the hard aged rubber.

No Hay

Bronco Guru
Mine had been attempted to be sealed with silicone sometime in it's past, and it leaked. I had a new gasket and windshield from TBP installed and it didn't leak again. From the windshield anyway ;D

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
No need for silicone. st replace the gasket and while the windshield is out have a local glass shop cut you a new windshield. It should be $60-100 for a windshield but you'll see better.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
I guess I should have checked the cost of a gasket first!
$40 at Toms for a slotted?
Ok, that's far less than I was anticipating.

Need to call around and see what a new windshield is locally and if the glass guys install at a discount. Sometimes it's nice to not have to worry about doing it right, plus the last time I did a rear view mirror, it didn't turn out to stellar... :p

Master Chief

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did I miss something here? Why replace the glass? Is it broken or difficult to see through? Unless you want tinted glass, save some money.

Just do what Rusty mentioned, cut the old seal from the inside and push the glass out the front. Find a flat work surface and remove the remaining seal. I laid mine on a piece of plywood across two saw horses to clean the edges up and push on the new seal. Once you have the seal on the glass, run a long strand of 1/4" rope in the groove, starting and ending at the same corner. Place the window back in place with the rope ends on the inside of the cab and have someone hold it in place and to assist with the install.

Start pulling the rope gently to allow the seal into fall into place. Use glass cleaner or soapy water to lubricate the rope and seal to prevent tearing the rubber. I did not use the bedding compound mentioned by Surfer-B but will if there is a next time. I also avoid driving on rainy days.

The entire process should take about an hour.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When I put the window in I use plastic coated #14 stranded wire and a little dish soap on the rubber. the combination of the plastic coated wire and dish soap allows everything to slide in place. Wrap the wire starting at the bottom of the window gasket, wrap across the bottom up the side, across the top, down the side and back across the bottom.
Slap some liquid dish soap on the rubber edge going into the window frame. Then push the bottom of the window into the frame and push the window down into the frame. If you have some help great. They need to push the window down towards the bottom of the frame as you pull the cord out and work the rubber over the lower part of the window frame. You need to push the glass and rubber window down into the frame pretty firmly after you get the window seal over the lower lip and around the corner. now work up the sides of the window frame work about 4 inches or so on each side swapping side to side. as you get closer to the top make sure the window stays down into the lower part of the window frame as you get towards the top corner work each corner in. And then finish the top. You don't need force to push the window in so if you have an out side helper don't have them pushing the window in. The pull cord will work the window in if the window is all the way down into the window frame. Pulling down on the window you do from the top edge of the window and not by pushing on the face of the glass down towards the bottom.

OP
OP
JaxLax

JaxLax

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Jacksonville, FL
Just thinking out loud (as I do)

for the sealant, when and how do you apply it?
In my head, it should be inside of the lip so that it can be at the point between the frame and the seal, but that's where the rope goes too (right?).

So they're both in there and as I pull it, the sealant could theoretically be yanked out with the rope?

Do you go back and use it after installation and lift the flaps and push in a small bead?

Should you put it on the frame and hope the rope doesn't yank it?

Let me know where the flaw in my plan/head lies. Or I've got it right and it is just a messy job.

Thanks for the input guys!

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
What sealant? If you install a new gasket there is no need to use sealant.

I suggested a new windshield simply because it's a great opportunity to install new, not a 50 year old pitted and scratched piece of glass. Nothing wrong with reusing glass, but I always prefer to replace a windshield.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
When Ford put the window sealant they put it in the corner where the out side of the window gasket meets the inner outside of the steel window frame Just a small bead maybe 1/8 inch or so. The Gasket rubber flange that you pull over the frame is much wider than this. They put this sealer on the sides and bottom of the gasket. On my truck they did not put the bedding compound across the top of the window gasket. I do not know why but they didn't. Ford never built any 2 broncos the same and maybe there calking tube was empty. After the window was installed they pulled back the inside corner of the gasket and gooped it there too. You will not be able to inject sealant behind the window gasket after the window is installed because your metal trim wont let you. And by the way your metal trim has to be in the gasket before you install the window into the window frame.