• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lizard skin reviews?

drroy

I’m Doing a Frame off Resto, building a body with %90 new panels. Will probably end up using lizard skin sound and thermal insulation on the inside floors and firewall, then cover in bedliner. There is a decent amount of discussion about using it on the web, not a terrible amount of feedback, though it is generally good. Anyone here use it?

Looking to prioritize heat and noise reduction. I have long tube headers and had hot floors for the little bit I did drive this truck before starting the Resto. And that was with carpet. I plan to wrap the headers.

OP
OP
D

drroy

Well aware of what wrap does to headers. The long tube headers I have are in solid structural shape but have rust and pits. They are going into a finished engine bay in which every part has been cleaned, refinished, repainted, replaced ect. Any exposed metal on the headers will be blasted and coated in header paint, the rest will be wrapped, at cost of about $30. Eventually when they need to be replaced I will spring for new ceramic coated, for now I will save the money and enjoy the heat reduction.

Jamie Chriss

I did. The heat portion is grainy, like silica sand. This is what I did: I gave it a good sand, sprayed two good coats of epoxy paint, seam sealed everything, another coat of primer mostly on the seam sealed areas, laid down two good coats of sound deadner, including inside the doors, then laid down two coats of heat protection, front firewall, trans tunnel and platform.
Then.. I think you need to cover it with something, it is very flat, I primed it and painted it to match my body, but I think some nice black paint would look very nice.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Lizard Skin makes a shiny black topcoat that looks nice once you spray a lot of it on.

OP
OP
D

drroy

I did. The heat portion is grainy, like silica sand. This is what I did: I gave it a good sand, sprayed two good coats of epoxy paint, seam sealed everything, another coat of primer mostly on the seam sealed areas, laid down two good coats of sound deadner, including inside the doors, then laid down two coats of heat protection, front firewall, trans tunnel and platform.
Then.. I think you need to cover it with something, it is very flat, I primed it and painted it to match my body, but I think some nice black paint would look very nice.

How much did that take of each product? I see they sell 1 and 2 gallon kits.

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
I didn't read the link on wrapping headers, but after MISF nearly lost a car to an oil leak that sprayed on wrapped headers I will never wrap any exhaust. I will use SST or aluminum to make heat shields, but no wrapping.

blue78

Loc.
Annapolis Area
I used the thermal and the top coat and I love it so far. I only have a few test miles on mine but it seems to help quite a bit. I also did my half cab top interior but I have yet to put that on and see how much it helps. I know witout it the interior feels like an oven, so I am thinking any littel bit is going to help.

With the top coat it actually looks great against my Lunar Green engine bay, nice contrast. Good Luck!

Kyle

JRED

Great product. I used just the heat shield. No heat from floor

Rocko1012

was lizard skin applied over epoxy primer? Anyone put a raptor liner over lizard skin? What Process did you use.

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Rocko there is a thread somewhere on CB in which that process was explored. I did the process you lined out. Epoxy primer, both heat and sound LS then bed liner. Any bed liner will work.

OP
OP
D

drroy

9YIwugZ.jpg

wWXCUrw.jpg

GslP7cJ.jpg

Just to update this thread. I applied ppg epoxy primer to my scuffed panels Scuffed the epoxy when it was not applied writhing recoat window of 3-5 days, then sound deadener, then heat shield. I bought a 4 gallon kit, 2 gal sound,2 gal heat shield. It was enough to do both sides of entire body, firewall, whole floor, rear wheel wells, with a heavier coat on those areas where heat penitration would be an issue in the front on cab.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for the update. Was it a pretty messy process, or no? Did you do it there in your garage, and if so, did you spread some protective stuff around the area?

Thanks

Paul

OP
OP
D

drroy

The underside was bit messy, I would have done myself a favor if I put down some plastic under the body before spraying. Topside was pretty clean process, even if I had finished paint on exterior , not sure I would have needed much more masking than what is in pics

markw

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Paul, in my experience it's a pretty messy job. But like everything the more you do it the better prepared you are and it becomes less messy each time. Just lots of masking and clean up.