• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

QUIET down the strrroker... tried DynoMax, MagnaFlo and thinking of...

nvrstuk

Contributor
Just a Bronco driver for over 50 yrs!
Be nice to not have to YELL when cruising anywhere and not even thinking about conversations on any kind of an incline....

I know this is extremely subjective so I'm not asking if you like the sound or tone or if the SS is shiny ;). however, has anybody quieted down 500+ horsepower so when you're driving with essentially no top on --you can carry on a conversation?

Like I mentioned in the post title, I've run Dynomax 14 inch long mufflers, Magnaflow 14 inchers and they are essentially the same noise level. Zero drone with either ...

I'm looking at the Borla XSPro or Flowmaster Delta Super 50 (used to be called SUV). The Borla and the Flowmaster both have a larger case size than the others and then the Super 50 Flowmaster is another 20% larger than the Borla or the more typical Delta flow 50 series Flowmaster... I .hope that would help with exterior volume and it's supposed to have very mild drone---I can't stand drone noise! :(

Has anybody quieted essentially, a big block in a bronco down to levels where you can have a conversation inside?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
borlas are great mufflers, they have a great tone but i have necer had 500 hp in front of them though. if you use tnose types of mufflers that are not straight through but more of an angled exit that helps lower the noise too

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I did t know that Walker has DynoMax and Thrush brands under their name also...

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
I have a thrush ultra turbo, their quietest turbo style muffler, and it made a significant difference in the noise level, but I only have 400hp:p. Case is 14" long. I was running the 30" long round magnaflow, was fine until a grade or 70+mph, the thrush was cheap, $40, and made a major cut in volume.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
Anyone running the Walkers?

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Sounds like a couple of the previous posters were speaking from experience.
I have a question about routing though. Where are your pipes exiting, and how are they mounted along the way?
If they're exiting in front of the rear tires, forget quiet. You can still get them "quieter" but may never be quite happy with them.

If yours are exiting out the back however, you should be good.
I'm interested to hear what you end up with too, and how you like it. My '71 is super quiet with twin generic "turbos" which are likely from Walker. It's duals, but both running down the passenger side.
The '68 has a super sweet Flowmaster sound, but it's a bit on the loud side for my tastes too. However, I'm not going to change anything until I've done some sound insulation. Right now it's an echo chamber. With full amplification!

Good luck.

Paul

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Anyone running the Walkers?

I had a small stroker in a Ranger many years ago. Fought the obnoxious exhaust. Trying to make it as much of a sleeper as possible. Finally got the Quietflow. They are pretty much Walker's stock replacement line of mufflers. The drone was gone. It was also quiet(ish). You could actually pick out sounds from the roller rockers and intake noise.

Current project is very stock. Has a cherry bomb. That is coming off and a Walker going in it's place.

I found the dimension sheet on the Walker site (takes a bit of looking around to find it). Find the biggest muffler that will fit in the space and has the right inlets and outlets that will work for you. Go to RockAuto and put the Walker number in the generic search. That will let you pull up applications that the muffler fits. In my case it was for a V8 Durango. I just ordered the muffler from Rock Auto. It was also cheap enough that if it didn't work, just toss it.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I've never tried these but have heard and read positive feedback regarding sound and they supposedly handle big HP numbers. They certainly should for the price
DJs74

The FlowMaster Super HP's you posted are 3 mufflers louder than the Delta Super 50 series on their "loudness" scale chart. :)

I like a little exhaust tone presence... but when people hear you coming from literally 500 hundred yards away and all your doing is slowing down from 45 mph on a County road then it's time to quiet down...

No way is my exhaust exiting before the wheels! :) Might as well have it piped into the cab! lol I totally understand what your saying Paul...get the pipe as far away as possible.

I'll try to find a pic of where I'm going to put them...pipe will be on top of the frame rail from the header to under the seat where the muffler will sit completely above the frame and between it and my rock skis. Exit route will follow frame rail, divert gently around my body mount that has been moved back appr 8" and literally squeeze between the ORI strut mount and body and exit out the back in the same spot I've used for over 20 yrs now.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
First two shiny muffler pics show where I'm going to mount it...close anyway.

Pic of dirty Magnaflow s that I am currently running is what I was hoping to use since it would be less prep to battle heat under the seat floor area and would allow a cramped but usable H pipe (maybe)... the lower 4 link bars would be the mufflers skid plate since it would hang down appr. 1" below the frame rail... still pretty safe spot... SS and then powder coat it black and it would disappear...kind of...

I will be running heat shields all along the pipe, between the headers and the firewall, and two layers of heat shield above the mufflers spaced appr 3/4" apart.

Attachments

• IMG_7889.jpg
    IMG_7889.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_7887.jpg
    IMG_7887.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 181
  • IMG_0539.jpg
    IMG_0539.jpg
    84.1 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

DJs74

Bronco Guru
The FlowMaster Super HP's you posted are 3 mufflers louder than the Delta Super 50 series on their "loudness" scale chart. :)
QUOTE]

Ahh, I didn't realize that, sorry. I think I heard the HP's once on a video clip where a guy was doing a muffler comparison but have never actually heard them in person... that I was aware of anyway.

DJs74

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
That's OK, I appreciate the input!

pcf_mark

Bronco Guru
Also if you have the room use two mufflers per side. I used cheap Summit mufflers ($40!) that ended up being Walker Dynomax it was very civil on a stock engine with headers and 2 1/2" exhaust. Sounded good when you got on it but chill around town part throttle.

Godwick

Loc.
Santa Barbara, CA
I run a 2-into-1 setup with a resonator and walker quiet flow on my 351w. I installed an exhaust cutout switch and have been having fun with that for the past 6 months or so. Some things I've noticed:
1) SO happy I went the route I did. The truck buttons up to sound like a truck. It's not silent, but it's quieter than many other trucks on the road.
2) I've played with the exhaust dumps a lot and I can feel no power difference with the dumps open or closed, which leads me to believe that the walker is quite flow-happy all the same.
3) While the cutouts are nice, whether partially cracked or fully open, they get loud very quickly - there isn't a smooth cline of sexy throttle sound, just little loud, then LOUD. I mention this because I can understand the desire for a softer rumble at times that other exhausts offer. However, having a true dual setup and open aired bronco like we have, I CAN say that having the ability to shut her up is nice.
Good luck and let us know what you wind up with and how it sounds.

OP
OP
nvrstuk

nvrstuk

Contributor
I appreciate the input - I did look at cut outs but I'll bet I would only run them open for about a minute a year ! ;)

I was thinking or wondering if anybody knew if resonators might cut out a little bit of the drone? I'm putting two heat shields down above the muffler to help not only with heat but to block some of that rumbling drown sound out also...unless I go walker which sounds like stock exhaust??