• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Odd Sound After Starting

ezbngreen

Loc.
Seattle, WA
Hey guys- I'm stumped on this one.

Have a EFI, 5.0L mustang engine that makes a strange sound for a couple seconds after starting. It's happened since Moab last year. Sounds similar to if you took an aluminum can, filled it with sand and started shaking really fast. Not a grinding sound or a hiss, but just a high pitched noise.

Replaced the starter, ignition and rebuilt the motor since Moab, but the sound still exists.

Any ideas?

spap

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Probably about 20 years On my first bronco with a C4. I did have the gear on the flex plate become slightly loose and it would make that sound right after start up. Drove me nuts because it was hard to track down and you don't expect that gear to be loose. Kinda like a high pitched scraping if I rememeber right
But I don't know if you have an automatic or not .

ransil

Bronco Guru
does it have a hi torq mini started installed?
is it wired correctly?

sanndmann3

Bronco Guru
My starter would hang for about 5 seconds until I looked at the wiring and made some changes... no more hang! :)

OP
OP
E

ezbngreen

Loc.
Seattle, WA
My Bronco has an AOD.

I thought it was the starter and replaced it. It's gotta be the flex plate, right? It's high pitch like you described. Where in SoCal do you live. I'm in Arcadia.

John