• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

$250 door inserts vs. $380 door inserts

70_Steve

Old Guy
I don't know..... but I'd pay $380 for those. .
What were we talking about?

Looked through his feedback. Looks like most, and the three EB insert customers, were happy with the fit of his product. When I get around to buying inserts, I will probably buy from him.

OP
OP
moe d

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
ding ding ding.. thanks for the heads up. I PM'd a guy that bought them a few months ago and we'll see how he likes them now.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
I just paid for a set of flares and door inserts from Mike Standley at Bronco Design. Thanks to EB66to77 (also known as Matt), who is picking them up on his way back down from PA, I will have them this weekend. I will let you guys know how they look. Flares were $185 and full inserts were $160 a set. His site is broncodesign.com, but he sent me a pdf brochure that he says is up to date with other pieces. Let me know if you want the brochure and I can email it to you.

OP
OP
moe d

moe d

Loc.
chicago, il
http://www.broncodesign.com/

i just talked to the guy and it's true.. 160.00 plus shipping AND he is getting a mold together to incorporate a fiberglass HINGED insert to the door inserts to make it a sealed door like the soft top doors but in fiberglass.

Annapolis76EB

Loc.
Annapolis, MD
I don't have my hands on the flares yet, but EB66to77 picked them and the inserts up just a few minutes ago and says they are top notch. I will let him give the details, but he said these are extremely high quality, very thick and look amazing. Also, he confirmed that Mike is a really good guy who owns EBs and makes glass parts just for our vehicles.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I got Tom's 1 piece and was not impressed. I love Tom's but this was definitely the most headache filled product I encountered with them. They didnt fit very well and had to be pulled apart and mounted which made them bow in the middle. I spoke with them and they gave me some money back for my trouble since it was the weekend and I started modifying them as I wanted them mounted. I have heard the WH ones are a better mold. Let us know how the broncodesigns.com ones fit. I am interested to hear about the doors he is working on as well.

BroncoDesign

Loc.
USA
Hi guys-
Just got in from the shop laying up a set of flares. I want to set the record straight one time only so people know what from what. The WH inserts are direct copies for a set of my parts I made almost ten years ago when I made the first patterns and molds. I know who made the splashed molds and I was told he sold them to WH. I don't think they knew that the molds were splashed when they bought them from him. I designed the one piece/finished two sides inserts using a set of NOS inserts and developed the inner portion of the mold from scratch. I sell them for $160 with better gelcoat and twice the thickness because its fair for me and fair for the customer even though I could probably get more. I am a one man shop. I do quality AND price, but not speed. I cannot say whether Poncho developed his own molds from scratch or not. Annapolis76Eb can verify the quality when he sees them.
Rgds, Mike Standley BroncoDesign

iwlbcnu

Bronco Guru
So are you the same guy that worked with Drew on these molds? I swear i remember a similar post last year.

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
. The WH inserts are direct copies for a set of my parts I made almost ten years ago when I made the first patterns and molds. I know who made the splashed molds and I was told he sold them to WH.
Rgds, Mike Standley BroncoDesign[/QUOTE]

Hey, Mike those molds came thru here before WH got them.
Steve Schmittgens
314-966-6692

Attachments

• DOORINSERTS1stRUN 001.jpg
    DOORINSERTS1stRUN 001.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 105
  • DOORINSERTS1stRUN 002.jpg
    DOORINSERTS1stRUN 002.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DOORINSERTS1stRUN 003.jpg
    DOORINSERTS1stRUN 003.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 81
  • DOORINSERTS1stRUN 004.jpg
    DOORINSERTS1stRUN 004.jpg
    115.3 KB · Views: 76

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
I just got a set of inserts from Bronco Design. I only have a stock two piece to compare it to but I know that anything short of a direct rock strike, these things will hold up.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I just got a set of inserts from Bronco Design. I only have a stock two piece to compare it to but I know that anything short of a direct rock strike, these things will hold up.

How bout some pics?

70_Steve

Old Guy
How bout some pics?
Here are some pics and text from a PDF brochure Broncodesign sent me. Mike, I hope you don't mind...

THE ORIGINAL ONE-PIECE ROADSTER INSERTS
10 years ago I bought a barn full of Broncos and parts from a guy. Among the parts was an original set of factory roadster inserts. I never liked the Ford solution for finishing the open insides with the metal plates and a hand full of screws. I decided to develop new patterns and molds closely following the original that made a three sided part and cleaned up the appearance. I also reduced the number of screws holding it in because now it held itself on.
The result was an insert that slid down over the door posts and was secured at the upper and lower corners by only four screws. I also encapsulated fender washers to keep the screws from pulling through since fiberglass holes tend to wear and become over sized with time. My inserts are from HAND LAID glass. NO CLOPPER GUNS. I control the thickness and overlap the cloth so the tread area is over ¼ inch thick tapering to 1/8 inch at the edges.

I sold a few sets locally with one set going to a guy who was how should we say “ethically challenged”. He made molds from my parts and sold them to a west coast company who probably didn't know it was my creation. They copied my installation instructions word for word. Now some guy who makes parts in Mexico and sells them from San Diego on EBAY has copied them too. Oh well. Since mine are from the original molds, not copies of copies of copies, they're still the original size (fiberglass shrinks as it cures). My overhead is so low, I can undersell them until they realize its not worth it. Theirs sells for $325-360 . Mine are twice as heavy, made from premium resin, high quality sandable grey gelcoat for you to prep/paint and sell for only $160 (for now).
Copyright 2009 BroncoDesign

Attachments

• insert1.JPG
    insert1.JPG
    19.4 KB · Views: 111
  • insert2.JPG
    insert2.JPG
    18.1 KB · Views: 110
  • insert3.JPG
    insert3.JPG
    8.1 KB · Views: 93
  • insert4.JPG
    insert4.JPG
    11.1 KB · Views: 100
  • insert5.JPG
    insert5.JPG
    8.7 KB · Views: 89

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Those look real good! I like the encapsulated areas where the screws go. Looks like the tread plate is reinforced as well.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Looks like the tread plate is reinforced as well.
From the BroncoDesign web site:

"I have the original molds making first quality parts that are triple reinforced in the tread area. They are gelcoated and PRIMED, ready for paint."

eb66to77

Bronc'Ownly
Loc.
NOVA
Yeah, I checked out his shop yesterday. Mike ran me through. The inserts are beefy as hell. We'll see how they hold up down the road.