• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

White soft tops

Boss Hugg

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was reading on a vendors site the other day and they recommended against white soft tops. I'm sure it's because they stain easily. I'm wondering tho, if a good coating of scotch guard protectant like you'd spray on seats would help? I really don't want a tan or black top....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If you really like the white, I would just get one. Yes, I think the treatment would help, and so would just keeping it from getting dirty (as if!) as much as you can.
But the most important thing is just accepting the fact that they're going to look a little dingey after some time.

Will it be garaged when not in use? Or outdoors? Inside can add some additional LBD (life before dingey%) ) but if you're just running your Bronco around and treating it like a normal vehicle and don't have the time to spend constantly keeping track of dirt, it's likely it's going to just get a little scraggly looking eventually.

Not that they can't be great looking for quite awhile under the right conditions. But they don't always either.

Good luck. Maybe if it's not a big shock to your bank account, you could just get a new one every ten years or so. Not joking about that either. Once it's beyond your idea of clean and good looking, another $600 bucks might be worth the investment.
Not the normal "periodic maintenance" perhaps. But no more expensive than a lot of stuff we throw at our Broncos after 10 years.

Hopefully someone that's owned one of the current crop for a few years can add their experiences with it. Both old style and the newer "Diamond White" stuff from Rampage.
Maybe the old Bestop white tops were made from a lesser grade of vinyl and the new ones from Rampage are not subject to the same issues.
But I'm sure that would not have changed things 100%. But hey, a little improvement is better than none.

Paul

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I had a white Kayline on mine when I bought it in '89. I think it got the most unsightly wear and abuse when I took it off and put the bikini top on. I would either fold it up and tuck it somewhere or keep it bundled with the hoops. The metal rubbing on the vinyl tended to leave smudges. Can't say how old the top was when I bought the Bronco but it was not fresh by any means. The white top was a lot cooler in the summer too.

Pops68

Contributor
Bronco Rookie
Loc.
Bazetta Township
I have a light gray Rampage I got from Jeff's 5 or so years ago. Still shows dirt, but I am sure less than a white one would.

I bought Bestop's 3 part cleaner/protectant system - for my daughter's Wrangler initially. Haven't tried it on the Bronco yet.

Pops

Last edited:

No Hay

Bronco Guru
My white Kayline back in the day was tough to keep clean, but looked good. I always thought the parchment seats were a goofy idea though. They look bad when new.

acebooncoon

Loc.
frierson/shreveport
soft top

i ordered one and it should be here today. i keep mine in the garage but if it gets a little patina i don't care because i am going to do a patina wrap of the whole thing.