• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Efi vs carb. Which one is better and why

buckenbronco

Loc.
Hanson
So what are the advantages of efi over carb? The only difference I can see is turn key start with efi. Carb has just as much power if not more. Carb has less shit to go wrong sensors and what not. Yes efi is more modern so it seems cooler. There is no huge advantage with fuel mileage. So what am I missing? So this is why I’m wondering. Do I buy the Holley computer and distributor for around $2500 or do i get an air gap intake and 750 carb for a lot less. If efi is so much better I don’t mind spending the money but I need some convincing. Thanks. And the pictures is what I have for intake and what not.

Attachments

• E6CCEB95-CE9C-4E8E-8EF2-9C0FDC4CB0B3.jpg
    E6CCEB95-CE9C-4E8E-8EF2-9C0FDC4CB0B3.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 227
  • A1D24AE3-DB3E-4231-9222-7611C501009C.jpg
    A1D24AE3-DB3E-4231-9222-7611C501009C.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 205
  • 001D3030-8A0A-4B33-A667-DA03F8EE371A.jpg
    001D3030-8A0A-4B33-A667-DA03F8EE371A.jpg
    111.2 KB · Views: 197

Nothing Special

EFI is definitely better than a carb, but that doesn't mean it's better for you (or me, I used to have a Holley ProJection, now I have a stock 2 bbl carb).

EFI starts better, deals with altitude changes better, deals with temperature changes better, gets better mileage most of the time, will produce more power if set up correctly, and will burn cleaner.

That said, carbs start well if you know what you're doing (setting them up and knowing the "dance" it takes to start your particular engine), altitude changes don't affect most people (and carbs can deal with them with jet changes if necessary), if you're lucky enough to have the factory heat risers and air filter assemblies carbs do well in cold weather (and they can be lived with if they've been "improved" with headers and an aftermarket air cleaner), a well set up carb won't give up significant mileage or power to EFI (and it can be more challenging to set up EFI for more power).

Carbs do have some advantage in simplicity, but then again, so do EFI systems. It just depends on what you are comfortable with.

Sometime I'd like to go back to EFI (but not ProJection). But in all honesty, it'll likely never make it to the top of my budgetary priority list.

jckkys

Bronco Guru
I agree there's no huge advantage to EFI. It does compensate for altitude, temperature, etc. But all my carbureted vehicles start with less cranking than the EFI types. They do need some fuel in the float bowls and a properly set up choke whether manual or automatic. I really doubt you want either an air gap intake or a 750 CFM carb. Both are designed for racing ie. high RPM full throttle and large displacement. Experience has taught me 480 CFM is more than enough for 351s and 302s need less. The OE Ford 4bbl intakes for 302s or 351s are better on truck applications or most any street DDs.

chuck1022

Contributor
Maybe i am just lucky, or I took good advice, i dont know.

I had a ton of plans for my Bronco. EFI, trans swap, body lift, slight suspension lift, Dakota dash, new steering column....the list goes on.

So i started doing my homework and talking to people. My closr friends said the same shit absolute strangers said..."keep it stock, dont mess with it".

I have a stock bronco, its only had rear fenders cut. PS,PB, 302/c4. Its my daily driver, i really thought the Fitech would be cool, but my 2bbl 2150 works like a charm. One gas pedal pump in the morning, tap the key the rest of the day. One guy at the grocery store asked me what fuel injection system i went with cause it started with a tap and had fuel smell.......i said 2150 carburetor....he couldnt believe it.

I put the stock air cleaner back on the 2150 and it even runs better! 15mpg...sometimes 16.5

So what it comes down to, carb is better for me.

All my friends that have fire breathing bad ass rigs, wish they had a simple bronco.

Now if money was no object, i would have both

bronco loco

It never ends
Loc.
Long Island New York
I always wanted a FI set up on my Bronco. A couple of years ago, when I needed a new exhaust system I decided to buy one with a set up for O2 sensors. I installed the O2 sensor with an A/F gauge I was able to tune my Holley street avenger to its peak performance. Has been running great since then. The fact that I live in Long island (flat Land) really helps.

Hazegray

I got the FITECH because it is easier to drive when offroading. Some carbs cannot handle the extreme angles and constant bashing around like FI can.

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
Really all depends on what are you going to do with your Bronco daily. If mostly street driving and light offroading, sure stick with the simple carb set up.

But it you are going to do any off roading, I mean real serious off roading EFI is the way to go for reliability.

Carburetors DO NOT LIKE extreme angles, especially nose up and down stuff, bank angle can be addressed with a few carb tricks.

As soon as I can $ wise I am going EFI.

bknbronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
North Metro, MN
depends on the carb......i hear the only carb worth having in a bronco is the stock 2150. Other carbs dont work ass well offroad sometimes.

JAFO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Beaverdam
I run a 4 bbl Holley. Electric choke. Starts up every time with little cranking. On cold days it takes a minute to warm up and smooth out, like any carb. But I grew up driving carburetor vehicles, so not new to me. I've thought about going to EFI, but think I would spend the money on A/C first. And if I go to EFI then I have to deal with troubleshooting sensors at some point. I find carburetors easier to troubleshoot, though my 96 Dodge isn't that complicated. More modern vehicles seem worse.

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
If you don't wheel much or don't take it to over 12K ft in CO and you're good at tuning carbs, keep the carb. But efi is invaluable in off-camber, steep inclines/descents and at high altitude. My stocker is running the stock carb 2100 and my trail rig is injected.

Plus the instant start up is really nice! ;D

FordBronc

Contributor
Bronco's, yea I have a couple.
Loc.
Polk County, Missouri
I haven't had any problems with my q-jet on or off road.

Well you are lucky, I had a real bad time at my local place. I though the tricks I put in my Edelbrock would work..they did not. I have heard that a Q jet is great for offroading, I had to work with that I had.

http://www.smorr.net/

I started down a level 5 trail (High Mtn pass) and stalled out and wound up coming down "dead stick". As soon as I was back on level ground it started right back up. I am fine going up the steep stuff, but nose down if dies out??

I am thinking propane or a TBI... cheap EFI.

cawright3

Loc.
Lakeland (Memphis)
I'm researching this and exploring options for a 77 build myself. I'm thinking EFI just because I'm starting with pretty much just a solid frame and can do whatever I want... but my 76 302, C4, PS, PB with the factory carb is so dang reliable and simple. Couple pumps after letting it sits for a few days or even weeks and it's a turn of the key after that the rest of the day. Everything was gone through in 2014 including the engine, transmission and suspension, but I opted to get back with the factory carb and intake which is the best decision I made for that EB.

Local Boy

Loc.
Mililani, Hawaii
I used to run Holley 750 double pumper... It flooded and stalled the motor on an extreme decline (down hill) which almost killed me and my 8 year old boy....I was able to point it toward a large boulder to get it to stop rotating sideways...which would have caused us to flip and roll down a very tall mountain... I hit that boulder head-on at a 30* angle which stopped the truck from continuing down that mountain...

At that moment, after looking at my boy and thanking the Good Lord, I knew I need to pull this POS off my truck...

Next morning I yanked it off and never looked back... Now rocking BigStuff3 PRO SEFI and loving it!!!

Having said that... others here are correct... depends what you intend to do with it...If off chamber and extreme angles may be in your future....Carbs can be hazardous to your and your loved ones health...in my humble opinion...

Aloha

OsideDave

I've had 3 carbs over the 20+ years I've owned my bronco. They've all worked great at one point but eventually acted up. The Q-jet usually one worked a few months then something went wrong, main complaint is extreme angles. I am in the process of putting on a Fi-Tech

metal1

Loc.
hidesert ,socal
mine came with a 2 brl carb that was so worn out at 100k miles. I had a holley 500 that I rejetted and ran for a year or so lots of power on the hyw but trail use was marginal just too big of a carb for my 289 ,ended up getting a chinees copy of a ford 2100 and after putting smaller main jets in it,i love it, great mileage impressive off road manners ,did I say great mileage ? so for my set up and driving I am all for a simple carb.;);)

Last edited:

5001craig

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I agree there's no huge advantage to EFI. It does compensate for altitude, temperature, etc. But all my carbureted vehicles start with less cranking than the EFI types. They do need some fuel in the float bowls and a properly set up choke whether manual or automatic. I really doubt you want either an air gap intake or a 750 CFM carb. Both are designed for racing ie. high RPM full throttle and large displacement. Experience has taught me 480 CFM is more than enough for 351s and 302s need less. The OE Ford 4bbl intakes for 302s or 351s are better on truck applications or most any street DDs.

Not sure what the OP is running for an engine but my air gap/750 carb rocks on the street. I mean rocks.

6_8l13gmotGOWxZIaX4KFebKUfvKVZ9B25x7gtNAgjOFSs2eeVp1DcLAkGpe2xpYANuNMm68uQGKWaEbqLtWiqdrfTFHMgBXOCcGh72BbpIOaiEdpW4EKyOFBumZjMrea6xUKbnC8BU5OCZ7rdJA7cexQpuARFo--HgK3svhv4RNkU5qB7Rh9gSN6F3PQUqSJCwswJ6rapZKKH52X-PsejcyQ5zUQQ7UBOVtHeiMkI_b_CkSR7sNUmsG5KKH4V9UeZVYLr4eQljXt7BY7syhbKv-IMjWLUcwrnStTjvIyc90PBCq0L4X7sG_Sz0SSQEYRfzhqC60YIoktZgj9UsiXv2smXeB6KNgPqs4dnM06urUXXM3ZXtxlD1t0Zek4Ty6AkSRDIR0BqGJHRSNh2lgHcG0lLo0o_ZUhyP2Ci1dA-0SypajC0hkyiOVa2huHkyWGBhka6M2Vzd-tbLaSNdu31FAh2iOJP3S-FxkDLlRKDuMaGw8xpRTrIYlZMZ4nlY5rSDtCt7npvcsV4OdR1pvnmffTrlwajPz7WKeABYOHim6beXN4NM0i-LZEV3K1aVQ40YDXJL5jtTPcFzX03lOFhTjzkMi-iCp0qc_E8paycg=w718-h404-no

But on a fairly steep incline (uphill for me) I can't stay in the secondary's. I've had it tuned and still have issues when in the secondary's too long. Hit the rev limiter during tuning so no problems on the street. I'm wanting to go with EFI. Probably Sniper. My Edelbrock is not known for being a great off-road carb.

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
Well you are lucky, I had a real bad time at my local place. I though the tricks I put in my Edelbrock would work..they did not. I have heard that a Q jet is great for offroading, I had to work with that I had.

http://www.smorr.net/

I started down a level 5 trail (High Mtn pass) and stalled out and wound up coming down "dead stick". As soon as I was back on level ground it started right back up. I am fine going up the steep stuff, but nose down if dies out??

I am thinking propane or a TBI... cheap EFI.

I had the carter /edelbrock initially. Great on the road. Horrible off road even with the mods. Then I swapped to the Q-jet