• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Solid axles confirmed for 2020 Bronco? Not so fast...

Dusty

Bronco Guru
http://www.autonews.com/article/201...angler;-ford-bronco-will-have-solid-axles-too

According to the article, "In an investor presentation this month, Dana revealed that it had won the driveline work for the return of the Ford Bronco in 2020, along with the Ford Ranger in 2019. Dana confirmed that both vehicles will have “front and rear axles featuring our latest AdvanTEK gear technology.”

But does that necessarily translate into "solid axles for the Bronco"? Don't be so sure. A quick search on Dana's website for the term Advantek reveals products using that name for everything from heavy truck drive axles to small, efficient center sections for independent suspension. Here's a screenshot showing several available configurations.

Attachments

• advantek.jpg
    advantek.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 279
Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
The audio from the Deutschbank conference: https://cc.talkpoint.com/deut001/011017a_as/?entity=8_UD1RX38

At the 12:50 mark they start talking about the new Bronco and Ranger, which they seem to be very excited about. But they don't give any specific information that confirms solid axles. They only say that they will be providing the drivetrain components, which could mean either solid axles or drivetrain components for independent suspension.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru

That BroncoG6 article is just a repost of the Automotive News article, with a repeat of the baseless assumptions about solid axles. I'll reiterate that all of these "news" articles, including one just posted by Road & Track magazine, are sourced from the remarks that Dana officials made at the Deutschbank investor conference. For those who haven't had a chance to listen to the actual words, all they said was that "both of these vehicles (Ranger & Bronco) will be equipped with full Dana driveline systems." That denotes NO indication of solid axles, as Dana also makes driveline systems for use with independent suspensions. ALL of the speculation of a solid front axle for the Bronco, and of comparisons to the equipment used on the Jeep Wrangler, is simply wishful thinking by the authors of these articles, with no basis in facts.

Believe me, I too want the Bronco to have solid axles. And a removable top. And retro styling. I want to sell my Wrangler and buy a new Bronco as my primary vehicle. But you have to be realistic when you look at these "news" pieces, and not let your hopes cloud reality. Look at the source, see for yourself so you can separate the facts from the bullshit. Unfortunately the reports that are going around today are just bullshit so far.

Last edited:

West Tn Dawg

BULLDOG
Loc.
Kenton
That BroncoG6 article is just a repost of the Automotive News article, with a repeat of the baseless assumptions about solid axles.

Like I said, I dunno!
Probably be a hundred different rumors before we actually see what they do.
Right now it's all somebodies guess, i suspect.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
More news outlets repeating the myth:

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/...rd-bronco-should-pack-solid-front-rear-axles/
"Dana claims that both vehicles will feature a pair of Dana solid axles." (they didn't, if you listen to the audio from the conference.)

http://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...xles-become-true-wrangler-nemesis-114896.html
These guys treat it as an absolute, done-deal. But their reference trails back to the same Deutschbank conference. Is this is what passes for journalism these days?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-cars/future-cars/news/a32394/2020-ford-bronco-solid-axles/
At least these guys only say it "might" have solid axles. But they go a bit far in their speculation, stating "We can't say for certain that this is 100-percent proof that the new Ranger and Bronco will offer a solid front axle..." (um, its not even 1% proof)

http://www.fourwheeler.com/news/1701-2020-ford-bronco-may-receive-dana-solid-axles-front-and-rear/
Four Wheeler is a bit more cautious but even they make that factual mistake when they say "Dana spokesman Jeff Cole said the company would provide front and rear axles and rear driveshafts to Ford’s upcoming pickup and sport-utility" (they never said "front and rear axles and driveshafts"--they only said "full Dana driveline systems." Characterizing it as "axles" is misleading.)

I guess the silver lining to all of this bad reporting is that hopefully Ford will see how much it stirs the pot to even have an erroneous rumor of solid axles for the new Bronco. But even if these reports stir up a bunch of talk now, I'm sure the decision on what type of drivetrain to use has already been made (and unfortunately, it is most likely IFS), leaving this current uproar simply a PR issue for Ford to overcome when they let everyone down with the truth.

sykanr0ng

Bronco Guru
So funny. %)

A rumor of a guess of an unsubstantiated hint based on a misinterpreted statement and three threads start here.

bronconut73

Bronco Guru
It won't let me down.
But I have pretty realistic expectations...

As I have said before here,
Ford could slap the bronco name on just about anything at this point and I'll prolly buy it....

ntsqd

heratic car camper
Loc.
Upper SoKA
Aw, c'mon Dusty! You of all people know that if you repeat something often enough it becomes the 'truth', even if it ain't. :)

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
I think Dusty is anti solid axle............ :) lol

Not at all. I'm actually hoping for solid axles but I know its not likely. That's why I was so stoked when I first saw that headline, pretty much stating it as FACT. Then every idiot on the Internet, including some here on classicbroncos, starts repeating it as FACT. So I was a bit peeved when I actually looked into what was said and found out these claims were just bullshit based on a comment that said nothing at all about solid axles.

I guess I'm anti intellectual laziness.