• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Jerry Cans

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Headed on a Great North Maine Woods trip over Memorial week. I have a 23 gallon tank but really should take 10 extra gallons just in case. I've seen some pretty cheap looking gas cans and some more expensive NATO cans.

What is everyone using? Feel free to post up pictures of your gas can carry rack too.

Thanks.

Rustytruck

Bronco Guru
I use military gas cans. Most of my Jeep friends have gone to portable boat tanks. Boat tanks have a squeeze bulb and hose to put in the filler neck and are designed to carry fuel. Really works good if you have a roof rack.

billd987

I ordered one of the original German spec cans (same as NATO I believe)from these guys:

https://www.jerrycan.com/

I'm very impressed with the quality. A cheap Jerry can can go bad as not all have the proper finish to deal with gasoline over the long term.

I also ordered a flexible spout from the same guys so I don't have to use the PITA CARB legal ones (only while I'm outside California, of course).;)

Last edited:
OP
OP
broncokak

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I ordered one of the original German spec cans (same as NATO I believe)from these guys:

https://www.jerrycan.com/

I'm very impressed with the quality. A cheap Jerry can can go bad as not all have the proper finish to deal with gasoline over the long term.

I also ordered a flexible spout from the same guys so I don't have to use the PITA CARB legal ones (only while I'm outside California, of course).;)

These look nice, they have something that looks like these at the local surplus store. It have the same type of cap and spout but it's more in the center of the can. $39.99 each new, I couldn't find a manufacturer name on them though.

OP
OP
broncokak

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I've got a simple rack that fits in the receiver. I'll see if I can find a pic

Hmm, just want I though of doing except I don't have a receiver on the back bumper anymore. :p

But that could be fixed pretty easy. ;D

OP
OP
broncokak

broncokak

Bronco Guru
The local surplus store has two of these but they are in rough shape and they do not have the spout for them. Almost looks like they had paint of some sort in them.

They make them in plastic too? Other than long trips they would probably be stored inside a shed.

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
found it:p

Some may recognize the shape, its a modified popular vendors cooler rack. I have 2 "Blitz" cans that fit perfectly.

Attachments

• IMG_1544.jpg
    IMG_1544.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 140

Yeller

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Rogers County Oklahoma
They hold up just fine, but have a larger foot print than a jerry style can. I've been using the same ones for years without any issues or leaking. I'm interested in the units you posted from northern as well.

OP
OP
broncokak

broncokak

Bronco Guru
They hold up just fine, but have a larger foot print than a jerry style can. I've been using the same ones for years without any issues or leaking. I'm interested in the units you posted from northern as well.

I'm starting to think the plastic can is the way to go. No just or paint to deal with. maybe have a canvas cover made to keep the sun off them while in use on the back rack...or is that over kill?

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I use the Scepter MFCs as well. I pick them up on ebay from time to time when good ones show up. Sometimes they can be hard to find as they aren't supposed to be available to the public(thanks EPA). The repair parts are available online. They are supposed to be able to take being run over by heavy vehicles without splitting. I have seen mine swollen up almost round in the back yard and no leakage or damage. They are pricey but I figure they will likely last 20+ years. The only thing I have had to do is change the rubber gasket(for Diesel) that most of them come with to Viton(for Gasoline). You can get the military spout for them and empty a full can in less than a minute. You can also make one out of a couple of PVC fittings and a piece of tubing.

I also have a couple of the NATO cans that billd987 posted but I only keep Kerosene in them. They don't get a lot of use but I have no complaints with them. They seem to be holding up fine.

OP
OP
broncokak

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I use the Scepter MFCs as well. I pick them up on ebay from time to time when good ones show up. Sometimes they can be hard to find as they aren't supposed to be available to the public(thanks EPA). The repair parts are available online. They are supposed to be able to take being run over by heavy vehicles without splitting. I have seen mine swollen up almost round in the back yard and no leakage or damage. They are pricey but I figure they will likely last 20+ years. The only thing I have had to do is change the rubber gasket(for Diesel) that most of them come with to Viton(for Gasoline). You can get the military spout for them and empty a full can in less than a minute. You can also make one out of a couple of PVC fittings and a piece of tubing.

I also have a couple of the NATO cans that billd987 posted but I only keep Kerosene in them. They don't get a lot of use but I have no complaints with them. They seem to be holding up fine.
I saw some of the MFCS on E-bay for around $50...is that about the going rate?

Sent from my SM-G900V