• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Etching vs epoxy primer questions

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
I'm getting ready to prime my roll cage in my current project and had some questions. I have been reading through some posts and am kinda confused should I etch prime the roll bar or just use epoxy primer. After spraying either of those should I use a primer sealer then final paint? While I'm here I have another question I also need to paint the interior of my fiberglass tub it is gel coated. Do I just sand the tub to help adhesion and then spray with a primer sealer. What grit paper should I use? I have never painted fiberglass so I figured I'd ask here because I've Lways gotten great help here. Thank you in advance for your help.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
You just need to make sure your primer is rated for on the label " DTM". I have a multi purpose primer that can mixed as a high build primer, just a base DTM primer, or a sealer. But DTM is a auto paint term that means Direct To Metal which your cage will be bare metal. Scuff the cage with a 400 grit and degrease. I recommend shooting your primer, wait 1 hour and shoot your paint so you don't have to sand your primer before paint. Roll cages suck to sand and clean, plus shooting the paint 1 hr after primer is sprayed gives you best adhesion.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
And yes on fiberglass, I use my DA sander and scuff it all with a 4-600 grit, degrease, then shoot the same type primer above mixed as a high build, spray a few coats, block it out, re shoot the same primer mixed as a sealer and then do paint one hour after the sealer is shot.

OP
OP

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Thank you for the answers on my questions. I did a search on the TP Global site but only found hardner for that primer. Your answer and their description makes me think there is something you mix in to make it a primer sealer? Thanks again.

OP
OP

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Thanks Rustytruck didn't realize it was as simple as adding a reducer. I know you said you didn't endorse this product. My only question would you spray your rig with it? I just want something that is a quality product and don't know anything about different paint manufacturers. Thanks again for your help.

rjrobin2002

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I have not used it either, but SEM is a good brand and it was the first multi use primer I saw on tcp global. I have used various brands and never had a problem. The key is read the product directions for what your doing, sand the base metal or fiberglass with 400 grit on a DA sander, wipe with a automotive degreaser and a tack cloth before shooting.

OP
OP

Loc.
The Bluegrass State
Guys I really appreciate all your help with my questions it looks like I have two good options. Thanks again and take care