• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Worn Manual Steering Shaft?

Redbark

I purchased new bearing and sleeves to rebuild my very sloppy manual steering column in my 68 Bronco. When I removed the shaft from the column, I found what looks to be excessive wear on the shaft, especially at the top end.

Can anyone comment on whether this wear is excessive? Should I be looking for a replacement shaft?

I intend to install power steering at some point, but I'll likely be keeping the upper portion of the manual shaft when that happens.

Attachments

• IMG_1663.jpg
    IMG_1663.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 27
  • IMG_1665.jpg
    IMG_1665.jpg
    106.4 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1666.jpg
    IMG_1666.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1667.jpg
    IMG_1667.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1668.jpg
    IMG_1668.jpg
    115.2 KB · Views: 25

Broncobowsher

Total hack
It has been several years since I had my column apart, but I recall that it is a smooth shaft. Just the splines and threads at the end to attach the wheel. That would be a wasted shaft. Run for a long time with a bad bearing.