• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

1967 side reflectors

triracer67

Contributor
My 1967 (July build) has the markings and cutout for the 68/69 side marker reflectors. Is this correct? The front and rear are identical spots, and shape. Thoughts?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
66 and 67 had no side reflectors or lights, so somebody added them, swapped panels or something over the years.

SHX669

Bronco Guru
Would a july 67 build be a '68 model year ? The '68s were on the auto lots in Sept of '67.

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
I thought July was the last month but I may be mistaken. Pic in his garage has 67' doors, and it looks like somebody had place lights low like where 68/69 reflectors should have been.

OP
OP
triracer67

triracer67

Contributor
'67 Reflectors

After speaking with original owner, he insists the holes are original 68/69 reflectors. Seems odd. Anyway, since I have 67 reflectors, where would they go on the body? I can't seem to find any 67s with side reflectors, but, all the Bronco companies sell them. Or, do I put on 68/69 reflectors. If so, someone have some for sale?

okie4570

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
NW OK
You're not going to find any 67' with reflectors, unless somebody added them, they didn't come with them. 68' and 69' didn't have holes like that for bulbs and wiring, just the reflectors. I'm not sure what original owner is thinking here. Is there wiring for bulbs in those four locations? Vendors sell 68'/69' reflector kits, which can be put on a 66 or 67 of course, but I've not seen any listed for those two specific years.

House

Minutia Militia
I would just put on the later reflectors to cover those holes...

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
If it's a July '67 build (not July of 66 in this case) then I see no reason to think that Ford would not have started the installation of the reflectors a little early. The whole run of Early Broncos is just full of little running changeovers like this.

No idea about the big holes though. My '68 does not have them, but that part of the rear fenders is not original. They sure don't look like the typical PO hole though.
Maybe it was a typical pattern followed, that was then quickly changed to reflect reality. Many things bolted to sheet metal had holes behind them back then. Things like the voltage regulators mounted to the fender skirts. The ones on the wheel wells and firewall did not have holes, but the fender skirts did. Probably about 3/4" diameter.
Heck, maybe the dealer or some PO started to put on aftermarket lights, then decided against it and covered up the holes with the then-new reflectors. Could'a happened...%)

Be good to hear from other late-'67 build owners on this.

Paul

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I know! The memo came down the pike that the new-for-'68 side markers would be reflectorized lights with turn signal function. So the body shop/fender stampers put big holes for wires and grommets right in the middle. Big enough for some 1157 bulbs to fit through!
Then someone that knew the truth saw them things coming down the line and made a stink. So future crisis averted, sweaty brows wiped, several jobs lost or "changed" location, and later fenders didn't get the holes.;)

Sounds like a typical running change by committee...%)

Paul