• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Over/under

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
Got a question. I can't remember does the cargo bed plate rest on top of the rear floor support or does it go under the rear floor support. I know it goes on top of the rear next to the tail lights. But what about the front area. Thanks in advance !

Speedrdr

Contributor
Learning Member
Loc.
Paris, MS
If I looked at my 77 correctly, it goes on top at the front as well. The PO coated the entire inside of the interior with bed liner so it was a little hard to be sure without getting a grinder ahold of it. Maybe someone that has an unmolested bed surface can correct me if I'm wrong.
Randy

OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
Floor lips

If I looked at my 77 correctly, it goes on top at the front as well. The PO coated the entire inside of the interior with bed liner so it was a little hard to be sure without getting a grinder ahold of it. Maybe someone that has an unmolested bed surface can correct me if I'm wrong.
Randy

Thanks randy. It's makes me have mixed feelings about it. Cause the floor has the lips on each side. So if it goes on top like the rear. The lips will have to be trimmed away enough to clear the support. Just wondering

Attac

Contributor
At the front it goes under the upper seat deck floor panel and just about butts up to the rear seat deck support channel
Chuck

Attac

Contributor
Here is a pic of where I think you are talking about

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    121.6 KB · Views: 43
OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
Support

Thanks chuck. So you are saying it doesn't weld to the rear floor support it welds to the floor sheet metal?

OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
Rear floor.

Yea that is the area in the pic. My floor was rusted pretty bad. And couldn't really tell where it need ls to be welded at.

Attac

Contributor
Yes it originally had spot welds about every 2"
You should be able to zoom and see all the spot weld cutter holes on the last one I replaced

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    105.3 KB · Views: 28
OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
Support

Thanks chuck. So with it just being attached to the front floor is enough? I just figured it needed more support than just spot welded to the other floor. But it seems like you done a quite of few. Thanks again

Attac

Contributor
Yes
By the time you attach to the corner fillers and the fender tubs and the front it is plenty sturdy.
Good luck

OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
Floor.

Thanks I looked at it you are correct. It looks like I may have to cut the front part of mine to make it line up with the rear holes indention in the rear. Does that sound right?

Attac

Contributor
There is usually trimming involved to make any repair panel work. Just be sure you have looked at each end really well to make sure where to trim.
Look at a few of the build threads here that have shown major floor repair to see what has been dealt with before. Jefe, Rydog are a couple that come to mind. Also Englewood cowboy does this professionally and has a good build thread to look at. I lurk very often to find an install that looks like what I am dealing with. Not any two Broncos are exactly the same. Close but not exact
Chuck

bronkenn

Contributor
Bronco Guy
Loc.
Southeast Ohio
From the factory the rear floor was welded under the front floor but when I redone mine I welded the rear floor on the top of the front floor. My thinking was the joint would be facing towards the rear and water wouldn't get forced into the joint while driving. I think either way will work. Ken

74 Bronco Billy

Contributor
Either way will work, but if you are going for original look, that under. But I am with Ken, it is one less seem running looking forward for dirt, mud, rocks, etc to get put into.
Go slow on those big sheet panels, tack carefully in many places, let it cool slowly and fully. Otherwise you will get warpage. Plenty of screws or Cleo’s or vice grips too ;D

OP
OP
brad smith

brad smith

Loc.
tupelo ,ms
Thanks

Thanks bronco billy.
Yes sir that's true. Do you put the main floor in before you put the fillers in each corner or do the fillers go in first. Thanks

Attac

Contributor
Put floor in and kleco or clamp as well as a few tack welds you can get to easy. Then fit your corners in and tack them in. You might need to work them a little to get them to fit. After your happy with everything then weld it up all around by alternating where you weld so not one place gets too much heat to distort.
There will be some gaps and holes in the front corners against the door jamb area. That's how they are designed. You use seam sealer on these spots or make little fillers.
Take your time