• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Suspension Question: Upgrading - BL or SL

ObscureMachine

Seatbelt Orifice Officer
Loc.
World Headquarters
I have a 2" BL. I was planning to get new bilstein shocks, Tom's coils, new bushings, etc.. Plus the extra cost of getting bumpers made for a 2" body lift. Cost= $625

If I ditch the BL and go with Tom's 2.5" SL, it's only $150 more.

Is it just me or does the 2nd option seem like a no-brainer?
Would I need to lengthen the driveshaft or anything major?

Thoughts?
Thanks! - Jim

needabronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Prescott/Farmington
I'd do a 1" body and a 2 5 or 3.5" SL depending on your goals? The body lift gives a little breathing room and doesn't look out of place. I believe everything should be okay with a 2.5" suspension lift, but as always, your results may vary.

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
I would do the 1” body lift also. Then go with the 2.5” suspension. The body lift sure make it easier to work on stuff. You’d be surprised what direction your build will go, once you start using it.

Mark

SteveL

Huge chevy guy
Loc.
Hawthorne ca
2 1/2" suspension shouldn't require any drop brackets or driveshaft work. 3 1/2" is on the bubble. My 72 needed a driveshaft my 66 didnt. Both have 3 1/2" suspensions. 66 needed a drop pitman. The 72 I ran a stock pitman and it was fine. Both had drop brackets on the track bar. I'm also a fan of the 1 " body lift for clearance

Timmy390

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Conway, AR
My vote is 2.5SL (with 7 degree bushings not the 4 that come with the kit) and 1"BL.

My old factory bushings were pancaked so the 1 BL was more like 1.5 to 2 once installed.

On my 2.5SL I run it all, drop pitman arm, drop T bar bracket and adjustable T bar. Also adjustable drag link.

Drive pretty nice.....I pound the streets.....

Tim

Broncobowsher

Total hack
1" body lift isn't that noticeable. But is great for adding a little extra room for things like air filters and transmissions.

A suspension lift also gives the potential for more wheel travel.