• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Tech: Affordable Collapsable Steering Shaft

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Tech: Affordable Collapsible Steering Shaft

I just wanted to share what I did for a steering shaft. I always try to use OEM parts where possible. After striking out on ideas a few times, I was almost ready to give in and buy the $200+ aftermarket steering shaft.

I decided to hit the pull-a-part one more time first. This time I ventured into Dodge territory :eek: . I stumbled across a 90's dodge pickup with a promising lower steering shaft. I coughed up my $3 and went home to see if I could make it work. It was of course too short. The cool thing about this shaft though is it has a nice small ujoint, and a double-d shaft that can be removed. The assembly also appears to be packed with rubber section for vibration dampening.

I was pretty sure I was going to have to make my own double-d shaft, but a quick search on the net turned up double-d's at summit. (no not those kind, sorry) $20 + shipping BRG-409418

I have a F-series tilt column and power steering gear. I cut the double-d to about 17". Grand total was about $35. If you choose, you could run one of these ujoints at both ends. You would need a longer Double-d. For a few more bucks you can get 36", which is what I did. BRG-409436

Anyway, I hope this can save someone a few bucks.

slipshaft1.jpg

slipshaft2.jpg

slipshaft3.jpg

slipshaft4.jpg

Last edited:

boydknudsen

Loc.
Watertown
ujoint

I am looking to build my steering shaft for my power steering conversion.
I have built a 79 F150 4x4/2x4 gearbox and was wondering if the dodge shaft you used is the same size and spline as mine. I'm not sure is it is 13/16" or 3/4".

mattt

Bronco Guru
Would you happen to remember if this shaft is from the early 90's/late 80's Dodge fullsize truck with the square headlights, or the mid to late 90's new body style Dodge Ram truck with the outside front fenders?

OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
I haven't been back to the pull-a-part in awhile, but I think it's actually from a dodge dakota. I'll check the next time I go. I'd like to know if these are available new. I don't recall if it had the step in the fender or not.

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
I think its 3/4" splines as I've pulled the same setup but my stock bronco box has the 13/16" splines. A lot of Dodges seem to have nice collapseable shafts.

BroncoWanted

Loc.
North Mississippi
Has anyone else tried this recently? If so what year dakota did the parts come from?

I have a 78 tilt column that I need to mate to a stock power box on a 75. Any other suggestions other than flaming expensive and ididbreak the bank would be appreciated.

OP
OP
Nobody

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
Sorry I don't have a specific model/year, walking around the junk yard, I saw this same joint on several dodge vehicles. Shouldn't be hard to find.

mattt

Bronco Guru
Junkyarding the other day I spotted a collapsible steering shaft that looks like it has some promise. It was in a late 90's to early 2000's Jeep Grand Cherokee. I was a double D design collapse shaft with a U joint on each end. Totally collapsed, it was roughly 21-22" long. The only digger with it was both U joint ends are straight double D, no splines. I would say it was 3/4" double D, but I didn't measure. I modified my steering column shaft by grinding it into the shape of a double D to work with the U joints I already had.Anyone think they could make a straight double D(without splines)work on the ford splined shafts?