• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 rebuild kit options/opinions...

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
I have recently thought about doing the same rebuild on my uncut street truck with a C4. I was going to move the TV out to the garage and get one of those DVD's on how to rebuild your C4.

I will leave the heavy duty rebuild on my rock crawler to the pros.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
i am in austin also... maybe you, robert and myself could get together and split brainpower and cost of tools over the rebuilding of a couple of trannies.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
That is a thought......

I think Robert already has his installed in the new frame.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
Well, I think I am going to tackle this next week. Let me know if you have any interest in pooling resources...

Does anyone have any input on the above kit that I linked to or any other kit? Options? I don't want to waste more money than is necessary hahaha!

DuneBuster

Loc.
Canton
C-4 Rebuild

Just sent out a C-4 for rebuild. There are several recent threads on rebuild options, issues, and they have good information. You should research these.
Pay attention to Bronco Howies cemments in particular.

There seems to be 2 major questions you need answers for to help you choose how to rebuild you tranny.
1) How much engine do you have?
--Over 300 Hp or under
2) what is the predominant drive mission you have in mind?
--daily driver Conitinuous duty mild torque
--tow vehicle Continuous duty high torque
--drag/hill climb Short high torque

If you are 300hp or higher, a stronger rebuild might be an option, and upgrading key parts like the Planetary gear, pump, might be in order
If you plan to tow, stronger rebuild or selecting parts with higher efficiency like a low drag planetary gear might help.

If you have arun of the mill 302 and don't plan to do more than some general off-road driving then a plain old rebuild might just be the tikcket.

Our rebulder is a mustang racer, and he suggested a 6 pinion planetary gear upgrade, after calling around we found that that was frecommended for racers with 600 Hp or above, so we passed on that.

That leaves shift kits. Take your choice and chances, unless you know what you are doing, it's easy to mess up an then you are looking at buying anew valve body to correct your mistake.. All just to get a firmer(quicker) shift.

We wound up just doing a straight rebuild with new clutches, bands, and seals. The kit was $120. The rebuilder another $200 labor.

The two upgrades we chose to do over a plain rebuild was to add a B&M deep pan, mostly to keep from using the old pan that always leaked and a desire to add a tranny temp guage. It does have a drain plug with a magnet in it too..

The second upgrade (#1 on BroncoHowie's gospel) is adding an external cooler to keep temps down.

Unless you have a raging Bronco, a simple rebuild may be all you need for another 100K miles of fun..

Last edited:
OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
well, my answer to those questions are

1. right now i am running a stock 302. eventually i will get to building the engine, but it will be the last thing on my list... there is 300+ HP in my future, and i want to be able to "future proof" my tranny.
2. it will be a weekend warrior that will see everything from concrete to rocks. it will also occasionally tow my dirtbikes to the track.

thanks for the post, i have found a ton of good info, especially from BroncoHowie. I only wish I could find somebody to do the rebuild for $200 plus parts... every quote I have gotten here in Austin is $1000 - $1450 for just a basic rebuild.

OP
OP
T

tdc_worm

Loc.
Austin
I ordered the Haynes Ford transmission rebuilding book today and will order the video and a transmission kit tomorrow. Not sure which kit, but I am leaning towards the TCI Maximizer kit that I posted a link to. If anybody has any other kits in mind or any a la cart parts that they recommend, I am all ears...

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I rebuilt mine in the garage. It wasn't too bad. The only thing I couldn't do by myself was remove and install a snap ring on either one or both of the clutch packs. There's a spring inside that needs to be compressed before you r&r the snap ring. I just brought them down to a tranny shop and they did it for me, no charge. You could proby build a tool to do it fairly easily. Just remember to keep all the parts well organized and clean. Soak the new clutches in a container of tranny fluid overnight before you install them. Once you get it back together there are some air pressure checks you can do on it to give you peace of mind before you put it in. I have a bunch of rebuild info I can scan and send you if you need it.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I will let you know... Thanks.. Gotta save up the moolah for a re-build kit first...

jedblake

Loc.
Boulder City, NV
Great info dunebuster.
I just dropped mine off on Monday for a stock rebuild. I did opt for the stronger clutch packs. I'm more of a daily driver w/ conservative weekend wheeling. I removed the trans, the shop is charging me $650 out the door and includes a rebuilt torque converter.
I'm also running a Flex-a-Lite trans cooler that I highly recommend.

mr.n

I'm also running a Flex-a-Lite trans cooler that I highly recommend.
Save money on the rebuild and buy one, if not two huge coolers and a temp gauge. This is the best mod to a C4.

BulkParts is great for prices, and find a factory rebuild manual if you can. The Haynes book is good enough for a 1st timer.

SnwMnkys

Loc.
Orem, Utah
well, my answer to those questions are

1. right now i am running a stock 302. eventually i will get to building the engine, but it will be the last thing on my list... there is 300+ HP in my future, and i want to be able to "future proof" my tranny.
2. it will be a weekend warrior that will see everything from concrete to rocks. it will also occasionally tow my dirtbikes to the track.

thanks for the post, i have found a ton of good info, especially from BroncoHowie. I only wish I could find somebody to do the rebuild for $200 plus parts... every quote I have gotten here in Austin is $1000 - $1450 for just a basic rebuild.

For that kind of money you can buy a nice Performance Auctomatic C4, and theyre a very reputable company.

mp

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Austin, TX
Just dropped my C4 off for a heavy duty rebuild. Should be ready by Wednesday!

romping_bronco

Loc.
Austin, Texas
Just dropped my C4 off for a heavy duty rebuild. Should be ready by Wednesday!

Hey Matt who's rebuilding your transmission and how much. I think mine needs a little TLC. The bands were slipping at Katemcy and it took some rpm's for reverse to kick in.