• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

BCB Heim Steering sale

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
For the whole month of August our HEIM STUD based steering system is on sale for $275. The system includes everything you need to install it except a tapered ream and a few wrenches. The ream can be bought for around $30 or if you are close enough bring the EB by and I will ream them for you. You can read all the details on our site www.bcbroncos.com look in steering. The main thing that makes our system different is the heim studs and the use of the saddle to mount the drag link.

Attachments

• DSCF3633.jpg
    DSCF3633.jpg
    135.1 KB · Views: 178
  • web2142.jpg
    web2142.jpg
    10 KB · Views: 63

hammer

Bronco Guru
I love it when stuff on my to buy list goes on sale! I take it this is a bolt on for f150 knuckles?

hammer

Bronco Guru
So what would I have to do to go over with f150 knuckles?

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
You would need to ream the knuckle from the top and install the tie rod over bushings. If you ream from the top just enough to fit the heim stud you end up with a hourglass looking hole.

hammer

Bronco Guru
Sorry to keep bugging you with all the questions, but I'm looking to run this setup over my f150 knuckles and I'm running a 2wd f150 ps box with a 5 1/2" lift. Do you see any issues with this geometry? I'm assuming I'll be running a stock pitman arm but I do have a drop that came with my lift.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I think the drag link will be a little short to work real well with the 4x2 box but lots of people have that setup and the saddle is closer to the pass. side than the stock tie rod which is good.

Madgyver

Contributor
Bronco Madman
You would need to ream the knuckle from the top and install the tie rod over bushings. If you ream from the top just enough to fit the heim stud you end up with a hourglass looking hole.
Chuck,
Will this be enough surface contact to work with your stud or do I need to use the bushing?
In this case will the bushing go in from the bottom for the tierod over?

I'll need eventually need one for a FW HP D44 in an EB. Is this something that you could provide linkages for?

Last edited:

Broncmeister

One quick q, are the 78-79 bronco knuckles the same as the f150 ones? I'm pretty sure they are, but I thought I'd better find out for sure. By the sounds of it, that would mean reaming is not necessary, correct?

hammer

Bronco Guru
One quick q, are the 78-79 bronco knuckles the same as the f150 ones? I'm pretty sure they are, but I thought I'd better find out for sure. By the sounds of it, that would mean reaming is not necessary, correct?

They are the same and you are correct.

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
All those guys are correct. The other way to say it is the tapered end of the HEIM STUD is the same taper as the BB/F-150

broncofl

Loc.
Mary Esther
Will this kit fit a 77 with the stock inverted Y? I have 5.5 inches lift, new adjustable track bar and lowering bracket, and a dropped pitman arm. The knuckles are standard 77 broncos. Does this kit just replace the Y, with the reaming of course. I have been pricing the tie rod/drag link kit from completeoffroad.com but the heim joints look stronger. Also mentioned was cutting down the track bar bolt and using a chinch lock nut. Do you have the chinch nut ?

thanks, this sale is great!

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
It will fit the 77 but you will need to ream the knuckles. The good thing about the 77 knuckles is you don't need the TRO bushings if you want to go on top. The stock holes are so small that you can get a good clean ream from the top to fit the heim studs.

Jfly13

Loc.
Lockwood, Mo.
I also have the dreaded 77 steering. I know that this would be a great improvemnet, but how do these compare as far as strength on the trail. My rig is a trailer queen. Will this hold up well on the rocks?

OP
OP
C

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
I limited the tubing to 1 1/8" alloy DOM so it would flex and bend before damaging the knuckles but it is much stronger than the stock 66-75 tierod and your 76-77 tierod is very weak so my tie rod is much, much stronger than that.

sevenTseven

Loc.
Oklahoma City, OK
Chuck,

Thanks much for the special pricing and the CB AUgust giveaway. I have one question about the heim systems.

For a mainly street driven Bronco, which would provide better steering feel, this heim set-up or the F-150 Tie Rod conversion kit that you sell.