• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Swing Away Tire carrier (prerunner style bumper) pictures wanted

67horse

Loc.
Riverside CA
Ok ive been looking at the wild horses prerunner bumper with the swingaway tire carrier and the cooler rack and the Jerrycan holder. Now i was thinking I have access to a tube bender a welder and all the stuff i would need to make my own all i need is some pictures of other peoples so i can build up a schematic. If you have highlift jack mounts on it that would be even better. Or even better than pictures if someone has already built theirs a copy of the schematics.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Here's a few pictures of mine, there's a lot more in my build thread (click on th link in my sig):

Attachments

• IMG_2318 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2318 (Medium).JPG
    79.6 KB · Views: 125
  • IMG_2311 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2311 (Medium).JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 183
  • rear-bumper.jpg
    rear-bumper.jpg
    16.6 KB · Views: 133

gearida

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Newburgh, IN
I am in the mobility business, you guys need to look at a Bruno, Meridian lift for a class 3 receiver hitch. They make a swing away with a pivot that is adjustable if it starts to sag. I hope to copy the idea when I build one.

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
I think if you use a nylon bushing you shouldn’t have a problem with sag. It could be replaced, and I know a good machinist that would make them for the brotherhood at no cost.

scsm76

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Shaver Lake, CA
Thanks everyone, yes I built it my self. Crawln68 helped me use his tube bender for the initial 2" bends, but I later bought my own to finish it up. The latches are DeStaco's from Mcmaster, but I made the hooks myself. I used the rockstomper hinges (1000# trailer hubs.) The tire mounts to the end of a old axle that had stripped splines, I popped out one of the studs, drilled it to 5/8" and welded part of a receiver lock pin in its place so the tire could be locked.
A couple things I would do different is set the spare tire up a tad higher and angle it in at the top. I would make the main top tube out of slightly thicker tube like .185 instead of .120. And I would probably make a cam style latch since by the time I made these work I could have built the cam latches plus it was difficult to keep the hooks low enough to clear the tailgate when down.

Attachments

• IMG_2083 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2083 (Medium).JPG
    70.1 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_2080 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2080 (Medium).JPG
    38.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_2065 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2065 (Medium).JPG
    38.5 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_2064 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2064 (Medium).JPG
    43.4 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_2057 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2057 (Medium).JPG
    58.5 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_2052 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2052 (Medium).JPG
    55.1 KB · Views: 54
  • DSC000710 2(1).JPG
    DSC000710 2(1).JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 79
  • IMG_2079 (Medium).JPG
    IMG_2079 (Medium).JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 79

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Well if you decide to 'upgrade' I know someone that would be interested in buying that one! ;D