• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kick Panel Speaker Boxes?

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
I am looking to put a pair of 6" speakers some where in the front of my bronco. I don't want to put them in my doors because I would like to take them off in the summer and I have aftermarket gauges over the trans hump. So the only other place I can think of is the kick panels. Do you guys know if anybody makes kick panel boxes which would fit there? I would rather put them in boxes along side the kick panel than actually install them in there. Or do you guys have any other ideas of where to install speakers besides the hump or doors?

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
rdv350, I just got a pair of these speakers that mount above or behind the riders. I will post up a picture after I get them mounted later this year.

Ben

Gummi Bear

Bronco Guru
Another idea is to build a simple console between the bottom of the dash, and the trans tunnel, and mount the speakers there (this idea is null and void if you are running a NP435)

I'm ditching the instrument cluster, and moving the glovebox in the dash so I can put speakers out there, the cage legs are in the way there anyhow.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Thats why I bought the speakers, I run the ZF tranny and there isn't any room under there.

Do a little search for the install, I think offroad.com or magazine installed a set in a jeep at some point. They screw on to the outside bar and there is a locating pin that you have to drill for.

Ben

OP
OP
R

rdv350

Loc.
Scranton, PA
Those speakers look nice, but I would prefer something towards the front of the vehicle. I already have some speakers mounted between the front and rear seat.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Another idea is to build a simple console between the bottom of the dash, and the trans tunnel, and mount the speakers there (this idea is null and void if you are running a NP435)

I'm ditching the instrument cluster, and moving the glovebox in the dash so I can put speakers out there, the cage legs are in the way there anyhow.

I did this, of course while the heater was out.... With it back in there is very little room. If you arent running a manual tranny, you can probably find room. But there is very little room available with my NV4500 swap in place. You would have to extend the console away from the dash and then down and then angle it back again to have enough surface area for a 6 or 6.5" speaker. I need to give it another shot...it was just very disappointing...I already had the individual components of the console PC and Lined... DDooooohhhh!

Good luck. I think its doable, but it will need some complex bends, IMO opinion to all fit (a decent sized speaker---forget a pair of 6X9s) with the stock heater in there.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
Thats why I bought the speakers, I run the ZF tranny and there isn't any room under there.

Do a little search for the install, I think offroad.com or magazine installed a set in a jeep at some point. They screw on to the outside bar and there is a locating pin that you have to drill for.

Ben

Ben, How is the sound? They might work for me, but they dont give dimensions. Can you give some dimensions? Quality? Do you think they will mount on 1 5/8 or 1.75" tube? I think the Heeps use 2" or larger for their bars. Thanks. I have always been skeptical about the quality of such sets, but it may be worth a second look. Be our eyes and ears... Again, thanks.

bigmuddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marthasville Missouri
Kick panel speaker boxes

I was afraid that they would be a thin plastic housing but they are really quite thick and seem to be well made, can't say much for the speakers though as I haven't hooked them up yet. I will take some detailed measurements and pics later today when I get more time. I have one of the COR cages which use 2" tube so I was good to go but they are made to kind of roll over the edge of the rollbar and bolted down. I would think you would end up with a weird looking gap with anything less than a 2" rollbar.

I am hopeful they will be the ticket as I was really having trouble coming up with a location that liked and still run the speaker wire over the bedliner without it looking crappy or catching on my daughter feet every time she gets in and out, which would have been every time (6yr old kid) My plan is to run them down the backside of the rollbar and then into the tuffy stereo center console without an amp. I plan on placing them directly over head on the front spreader bars unless I care to cut off the gussets on the rear spreader bars to get the speakers further behind my head.

My speakers came with the nice little map lights that come on independently by pushing on the light, and of course a tweeter and a speaker of some description. I did find elsewhere that you can buy the pods without the speakers or lights if you care to add your own.

By the way Windrockoffroad was the cheapest place that had the deluxe pods like I linked to.

Ben

Last edited:

justinoshea

Contributor
Loc.
Gilbert, AZ
I made some small enclosures for 6.5" speakers and mounted them on the floor up at the fire wall. they have been there 5 years and work great. the floor option is the optimal location for time alignment anyway. I had to move the high beam switch and make custom brakets to properly angle the enclosures. bronco_dash.jpg

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
Mount them flush in the kick panel and get some really big PVC end caps and L brackets. Mount the end caps over the exposed backside of the speakers and RTV the heck out of them. This will keep the backsides from getting tore up by road debris and keep the speakers out of harms way.

Just my 2 cents.

302fix

Contributor
Mount them flush in the kick panel and get some really big PVC end caps and L brackets. Mount the end caps over the exposed backside of the speakers and RTV the heck out of them. This will keep the backsides from getting tore up by road debris and keep the speakers out of harms way.

Just my 2 cents.

Yea,
luvmybronco did a sweet job on his.
I can't seem to dig up the thread and his my space page won't come up at work.

jtd123

Loc.
merritt island
im thinking about mounting one of those alum/stainless? mixing bowls behind the panel. spray liner both sides to protect and help with sound and mounting the speaker flush.

JHD

Loc.
Colorado Springs
My PO had plastic flower pots sealed with silicone or RTV behind the kick pannel. I ran this for 3 years and never had any mud or water get on the speaker.

Daddy4zack

Loc.
El Dorado Hills

Just my 2 cents.

I have thought about this idea also.. 4-6" pvc Caps... Should work well.. Hardest part will be drilling the hole.

Aaron

grs44310

Loc.
Akron, Ohio
I have used a medium sized Rubbermaid container as an enclosure in the past. The containers are pretty tough and the rim around the outside provides a great spot to put mounting screws through. It's not the best looking but effective and cheap.