• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Wile E Mobile Build up - Tub is on, Got the Bed liner done!

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Wyle E Mobile Build up - IT RUNS!!!!

Hi All,

I am finally, Really, truly, and for sure getting the build on!!!

Where I'm at - Pics in my gallery I'll get my contributorship soon so I can post in here:

1974 Sport -
No engine - was a 302, down to brass on all the mains and ridged badly in all 8.

C-4, Dana 20 T-case - on the floor in the corner, they were fine 3 years ago, so I should be able to clean them up, lube'm and put em back in

Dana 44 and Ford 9 - still fine -

Frame - Hacked up front driver side rail and cross member. I have a replacement -

Body - No rust, mostly straight, crappy paint. I took the front quarters and doors off, and have the paint stripped off of them.

Interior - Dash is straight and rust free, bad paint. Tub is herculined, poorly. Seats are stock and worn out.

Suspension - Stock, but I have an NHL body Lift(Pucks)

Where I'm going -

Replacement frame - I already sandblasted the top and side of one rail - took about an hour and 1/2. Will get that done this week. Then it's POR-15 and Chassis black. 3/18/08 DONE!!;D

Body - After sandblasting I realized I was in over my head in this so off to the body shop it went. Ok - Body guy hasn't touched it at all, so I am probably going to pull the plug on that, bring the tub home, slap some paint on it and get it on the road

Interior - Strip paint from dash and repaint (Again any suggestions?). - Found some rust on the floor pan, and removed all the bed liner - Also replaced drivers floor pan and patched some holes on passenger side

Getting stock seats re-covered -change of mind I am going aftermarket for the fronts, and I dug out the rear seat and it is just fine!

Engine - Going to find a good used 302 for now, I want to build a 408 eventually. - I got a 91 Grand Marquis 5.0 with an AOD 6/9/08 BCB 23 Gal efi tank purchased with new efi fuel lines

Transfer case - Twin stick. Maybe go up to a NP205 when I get the 408 done.

Rear Diff - I really want a selectable locker - that is waaaaaay down the road though. Got a new 3rd member with a detroit and 4.56 gears for the 9, D44 goes into Randy's R&P soon for an ARB and gears.

Steering - F150 PS box, need new Tie Rod/Drag Link. - I have a 4x4x2 setup just have to put it together

Suspension - 3 1/2 Inch lift (I have Duff Coil Springs for the front) Need new leafs for the rear. The new frame had the Shock mounts removed, so I will be getting something - thinking Hoops(Duff, BC, Cage, I'm not sure) for the front, and something like the Duff Stage 1 rear shock mounts. Don't really want or need double shocks though... Shocks will be Bilsteen. Probably stay with the NHL Body lift. - F250 Shock towers in the front and a BC inboard shock hoop for the rear. Done. 6/9/08 BCB 3 1/2in lift front coils and 9 pack rear springs purchased.

That's the big stuff...I'm sure there will be thousands of other items that I will find and replace or upgrade along the way! But I'm motivated and it's starting to get done!!!

Edit 4/2/08 - Here are some progress pictures of where I'm at so far...Still working on it, waiting for the weather to warm up so I can start stripping paint!

Edit 6/9/08 - Part of the BCB order received. Pics on the last page

Edit 8/8/08 - Been really busy at my paying work, so not much done...but the tub is all blasted, and I got the floor pan out!

Edit 3/1/09 - Assembly is well underway, should have rolling chassis by the end of April - I am getting some long arms fabricated locally and getting some help installing the ARB and gears in the front but that won't be done until april.

Edit 5/25/09 - Ok had to wait to get my radius arms extended - so rolling chassis took a bit longer, but the D44 is regeared and locker installed - Got some shiney new Tires and Wheels, Getting pretty stoked to get back on the road!!

Attachments

• Empty Tub 006.jpg
    Empty Tub 006.jpg
    251.6 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC01308.JPG
    DSC01308.JPG
    195.4 KB · Views: 262
  • Completeframewebsize.JPG
    Completeframewebsize.JPG
    21.9 KB · Views: 364
  • DSC01195.JPG
    DSC01195.JPG
    23.6 KB · Views: 337
  • BroncoProjectTheNewBeginning 009.jpg
    BroncoProjectTheNewBeginning 009.jpg
    25 KB · Views: 332
  • BroncoProjectTheNewBeginning 004.jpg
    BroncoProjectTheNewBeginning 004.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 338
  • AaronGarcia1.JPG
    AaronGarcia1.JPG
    183.7 KB · Views: 369
  • Empty Tub 003.jpg
    Empty Tub 003.jpg
    221 KB · Views: 290
Last edited:

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Looks like a good start. Get ready for the domino effect!

OP
OP
WyleCoyote

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Broncomaster,
That frame is in excellent shape, I think I made a screaming deal on it, I would have paid more!!! ;D

After some thought I am going to go with the F-250 style shock mounts for the front, I'm really up in the air about the rear mounts.

And I am trying to use this as leverage to get a welder..."See I can get these cheaper shock mounts, but I have to be able to weld them on....."

OP
OP
WyleCoyote

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
A fine day at the beach

Ok, New frame is about halfway sandblasted...my shop is now the sahara desert, sand as far as the eye can see..Here is a couple of pictures

Attachments

• DSC01160.JPG
    DSC01160.JPG
    17.3 KB · Views: 233
  • DSC01159.JPG
    DSC01159.JPG
    18.9 KB · Views: 237
  • DSC01158.JPG
    DSC01158.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 214
  • DSC01154.JPG
    DSC01154.JPG
    18 KB · Views: 201
  • DSC01153.JPG
    DSC01153.JPG
    20.8 KB · Views: 288

broncomaster

Loc.
Edgewood,Wa
looks great!
Did you consider blasting outside on a tarp looks like no rain for a couple days.
I don't think I could handle all of that sand in my shop! Don't breathe that dust.

Fishbone

Loc.
Northern, Illinois
Git 'er done!

Make sure your money tree gets watered and well cared for during this process...you may have to pick all the leaves off it.

OP
OP
WyleCoyote

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
I thought about doing it outside, but I am able to recycle my sand better in the shop I think. I am wearing a respirator. What I should have done is hang a tarp up to seperate it from the rest of the shop...but I was too eager to get to blasting!!

The money tree is getting lots of presents for Valentines day....

OP
OP
WyleCoyote

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Harbor Freight 20Lb Pressure Pot. It's nothing fancy, but it sure works well. Biggest problem is my 6hp 33gal Craftsman compressor can't keep up!

NYLES

Bronco Guru
I remember those days! You would kick yourself if you had a bigger compressor after I installed mine blasting became fun! and you'll be finding sand in that shop for years!

Do it yourself BRONCO kit! THATS FUNNY! Keep up the get it done attitude and remember its OK to take a day off from it! once in awhile!

OP
OP
WyleCoyote

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Yeah, but I can only weasel one big tool purchase out of the Wife, so what should I get a welder or a new compressor????

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
A welder. I have the same compressor. It will be sufficient as long as you dont plan to blast much. You will need the wleder much more than the compressor for a build. Good luck. Make sure you add on all the suspension upgrades, etc to the frame before you go to top-coating.

As far as the body goes, it is cheaper to farm out the blasting, than to farm out the sheetmetal work....get the welder.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Yeap, and at least 180 amp if your going mig, psycho is right youll do alot more welding over time than blasting.

OP
OP
WyleCoyote

WyleCoyote

Bronco Guru
Hope to have the Frame blasted by Saturday, then depending on what I do for shock mounts, get it painted next week.