• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lars bracket won't fit my pump!!!

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I bought a saginaw for a '76 licoln because I wanted the dual return for h-boost. So I bought a Lars bracket of NCB and the pump doesn't fit right. The res. hits the bracket. Can these be "reclocked"? They only bolt I see is the hp hose nut. BI

TN1776

Bronco Guru
I think I sold you that bracket. Call WH, they are very helpful and can tell you specifically which pump fits. I originally had a GM Saginaw pump, which fit the bracket but it hit my fender. I've since swapped pumps and brackets.

If the reservoir is hitting the bracket, try using the spacers that came with it - I had no pump/bracket clearance problems.

racebronco

Loc.
Jeffersonville, IN
I bought a bracket from jeffs I think, & had the same problem with my lincon dual return pump, I just notched the bracket so it fit. I sold it a few weeks back but I'll see if I can find pics of it.
jason

racebronco

Loc.
Jeffersonville, IN
IMG_0402a.jpg

OP
OP
B

bronco italiano

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Thanks, The uptight Dago is going to cut a complete circle out of the bracket, reclock it and then weld it in so the pump dipstick is straight up. Thanks, BI

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
The problem is with the reservoirs, and it's not limited to the serpentine bracket I designed. It affects the vee belt Saginaw bracket that WH and others sell as well.

Saginaw pumps found on Ford vehicles use a canned ham reservoir that's clocked at 15 degrees to the pump body. GM, Chrysler, Volvo and probably others I've never heard of all specified reservoirs clocked at 30 degrees to the pump. If you have a pump available from any of those vehicles it's a 5 minute job to swap reservoirs. I've also welded a piece of 3/8 metal tubing to a few reservoirs to create a second return line for hydroboost.

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
I had to make the same notch as racebronco shows in his picture to get my GM pump to work with the Wildhorses v-belt bracket

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Same here...

PS%20Pump%20-%2003%20(Medium).JPG

I also had to notch a section in the adjuster bracket to clear one of the pump bracket bolts in order to get my belt tight.

NYLES

Bronco Guru
Tito is that linc pump with dual returns the one that also has the larger resivior? That my next thing to do reason I ask. And whats a good sorce for a v pulley as I have none?

honeybee

Loc.
Madera
WH serp bracket

The problem is with the reservoirs, and it's not limited to the serpentine bracket I designed. It affects the vee belt Saginaw bracket that WH and others sell as well.

Saginaw pumps found on Ford vehicles use a canned ham reservoir that's clocked at 15 degrees to the pump body. GM, Chrysler, Volvo and probably others I've never heard of all specified reservoirs clocked at 30 degrees to the pump. If you have a pump available from any of those vehicles it's a 5 minute job to swap reservoirs. I've also welded a piece of 3/8 metal tubing to a few reservoirs to create a second return line for hydroboost.

Hey, I have a WH serp bracket. Would you happen to know a specific application I can give them at the parts store that will fit this bracket without just cutting it up? Without a make & model, it is just digging through boxes. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Tito is that linc pump with dual returns the one that also has the larger resivior? That my next thing to do reason I ask. And whats a good sorce for a v pulley as I have none?

I will get you that part number. Napa stocks it but it isnt in their system so if you ask for it by app they dont have it. Gimme a few, I have it all in a thread on here somewhere.

72Sport

Bronco Guru

I used pulley off of a Chrysler 5th AVE about 1986. I have one off of a GM pickup also and they seem to be the identical except for the part numbers stamped on them. Chrysler 354324AB and GM14023172DA. The GM came off of a 80's pickup. I don't use the Lars bracket but I did a lot of searching for the right size pulley with both the right dia and belt groove width and thats what I came up with. I may have a Volvo pulley around some where also. Jaguars are another source if I remember correctly.

The largest reservoir that I have seen is on a Gm pickup without air conditioning. I don't know whether it was gas or diesel. Late 70's or early 80's. GM has a couple of tanks with dual return. Late 70s and 80s gm pickups would be the place to look. Sorry I can't be more help but I shop by opening the hood.

Attachments

• img_0298 (2)small.jpg
    img_0298 (2)small.jpg
    182.1 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
This thread has that info in it on part numbers. If you want to have a little fun, ask them for the pulley for that application, then when it isnt in the system, have them look it up, then give them the part number and tell them it is probably on the shelf. ;D

Last edited:

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
I used pulley off of a Chrysler 5th AVE about 1986. I have one off of a GM pickup also and they seem to be the identical except for the part numbers stamped on them. Chrysler 354324AB and GM14023172DA. The GM came off of a 80's pickup. I don't use the Lars bracket but I did a lot of searching for the right size pulley with both the right dia and belt groove width and thats what I came up with. I may have a Volvo pulley around some where also. Jaguars are another source if I remember correctly.

The largest reservoir that I have seen is on a Gm pickup without air conditioning. I don't know whether it was gas or diesel. Late 70's or early 80's. GM has a couple of tanks with dual return. Late 70s and 80s gm pickups would be the place to look. Sorry I can't be more help but I shop by opening the hood.

That's the one. Early 80's GMC or Chevy diesel without a/c. Dual returns, large reservoir, etc. Same basic pump body as the Fords.

Also if anyone is interested, the correct serpentine pulley application for a Saginaw is the late Econoline van with 5.0 or 351W.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Lars,

Mine was purchased at Advanced Auto; it's a 79 Lincoln Part.

OK, that explains the fit issue. Clocking on Ford-spec reservoirs vs. GM/Chrysler- spec reservoirs. I attached some jpegs depicting reservoir clocking on the latter.

Attachments

• serpentine pump assy front view.JPG
    serpentine pump assy front view.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 28
  • serpentine pump assy top view.JPG
    serpentine pump assy top view.JPG
    68.5 KB · Views: 27

kbldawg

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Marshall, AR
Personally, the mods needed to the bracket isn't that big of deal and since it puts the resevoir cap almost TDC, I think it's probably worth it.

lars

Contributor
Been here awhile
Loc.
NorCal flatlands
Personally, the mods needed to the bracket isn't that big of deal and since it puts the resevoir cap almost TDC, I think it's probably worth it.

Agreed, at least in the case of the vee belt bracket. I've done a couple myself.