• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Seems like a dumb Q to me but I need to know. Cast or Steel

mr incredible

Bronco Guru
well you could grind on it ,, if it is cast , there wont be too many sparks , if it is steel ,, it will set off lots of sparks from the grinder .......

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
I always thought cast iron was not magnetic but after my magnetizing thread I am confused. I feel dumb.

bax

Contributor
Old Member
Just replace it with what you need . That is the best way to know.

Itsa67

Or you could just run the wrong gear and collect the shavings out of your oil pan to "metallize" your door inserts with...oooh maybe thats not such a great idea after all. :)

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Grrrrrrr, come on, you guys can figure out how to metallicize fiberglass but cant figure out how to tell cast iron from steel?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Clean them up with some brake cleaner and look for the right color. Mine had yellow on it after I cleaned it up.

Attachments

• distributor gears.JPG
    distributor gears.JPG
    99 KB · Views: 37
OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Well it looks yellow and looks machined, I know it came from an EFI motor ~ 85-87 (SD). All of these things support steel. Hmm...

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
No I have a whole SD EFI setup and this dizzy is from it. The Explorer doesnt even use a dizzy, pretty crazy stuff man.

Hoppy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gresham, OR
the new dizzy i got for the bronco is cast
maybe we should compare em over sodas

just pulled it

83 tbird is cast (had broken gear)
no color on it

so another part for the scrapper

Broncoman

Bronco Guru
No I have a whole SD EFI setup and this dizzy is from it. The Explorer doesnt even use a dizzy, pretty crazy stuff man.
I have no useful information to add but...
Whats in the hole for the Dist? I assume there is something in there to drive the oil pump.

OP
OP
Tito

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
There is some kind of module, havent taken it out yet but I will take a pic of it when I do.