• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

C4 REBUILD - BwoncoHowie Specs

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Thanks for the response BwoncoHowie... Here's my list so far....for the re-build.

Torque Converter – Rebuild or New
Overhaul Kit
Transgo Shift Kit
Filter
Front/Rear Band
Bushing Kit
Washer Kit
Front Drum
Rear Servo Piston
Rear Sprag
Pump….

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
This is the bare minimum I would replace on a 1972 & later C-4 rebuild for an EB.
Any additional pieces are pending a thorough inspection upon complete disassembly and cleaning of the components.

Transtar Part# Qty. needed Part description

26006C 1 REBUILD KIT WITH STEELS
26022BHD 1*** FRONT BAND (solid non flex type)
A26912 1 REAR SERVO PISTON
26036A 1 BUSHING, FRONT STATOR
26037 1 BUSHING, REAR STATOR
26010D 1 OIL FILTER SCREEN
36034B 1** PUMP BUSHING C-6
A26530 1 PUMP GEAR SET, C-4/C-5
26046A 1 DIRECT DRUM BUSHING
26052 2 BUSHINGS, SUN GEAR
26064 1 BUSHING, TRANSMISSION CASE
26074TA 1* METAL CLAD SEAL FOR THE ADAPTER HOUSING
(DOUBLE LIP)
26160G 1 MODULATOR, C4/C5 GREEN STRIPE
A26654K 1 SPRAG KIT, C-4/C-5 SPR & ROLLER KIT

*These adapter housing seals are often overlooked or neglected during a rebuild. If ignored can be the cause of a transmission or transfer case catastrophic failure.*

**I suggested using a C-6 pump bushing because it is much wider than the original C-4 bushing and will last a lot longer when installed properly.** This modification will also control the oil clearance better thus extending the life of the converter hub and front seal. This is one of the many Beef-up tricks I do when preparing a HD C-4.

***When changing from a Flex to a Solid Type band, you need to get the correct band strut or widen the slot in the original strut.

Selective items such as the pump and stator thrust washers, oversize steels, and clutchpack snap-rings would be ordered on an as needed basis depending on what is needed to set up the proper clearances during re-assembly.

The following are companies that have a reputation for selling OE quality aftermarket transmission parts and who I trust and recommend for my parts needs. They carry brands such as.
Borg Warner
Raybestos
TransTec
National
Federal Mogul
Clevite
Chicago Rawhide
As well as a limited supply of selected Genuine original equipment replacement parts.

http://www.atcdg.com/ Note: By the way I just found out that the Axion/ATC site is loaded with intrusive spyware, just a warning before you click on it

http://www.transtarindustries.com/rebuildkits.asp

Last edited:

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
Thanks for the list I'll probably be using it soon as I have a C-4 I'm going to convert and rebuild.

mr.n

This is the bare minimum I would replace on a 1972 & later C-4 rebuild for an EB.
Any additional pieces are pending a thorough inspection upon complete disassembly and cleaning of the components.

Transtar Part# Qty. needed Part description

26022BHD 1*** FRONT BAND (solid non flex type)
A26912 1 REAR SERVO PISTON
26036A 1 BUSHING, FRONT STATOR
26037 1 BUSHING, REAR STATOR
26010D 1 OIL FILTER SCREEN
36034B 1** PUMP BUSHING C-6
A26530 1 PUMP GEAR SET, C-4/C-5
26046A 1 DIRECT DRUM BUSHING
26052 2 BUSHINGS, SUN GEAR
26064 1 BUSHING, TRANSMISSION CASE
26074TA 1* METAL CLAD SEAL FOR THE ADAPTER HOUSING
(DOUBLE LIP)
26160G 1 MODULATOR, C4/C5 GREEN STRIPE
A26654K 1 SPRAG KIT, C-4/C-5 SPR & ROLLER KIT

*These adapter housing seals are often overlooked or neglected during a rebuild. If ignored can be the cause of a transmission or transfer case catastrophic failure.*

**I suggested using a C-6 pump bushing because it is much wider than the original C-4 bushing and will last a lot longer when installed properly.** This modification will also control the oil clearance better thus extending the life of the converter hub and front seal. This is one of the many Beef-up tricks I do when preparing a HD C-4.

***When changing from a Flex to a Solid Type band, you need to get the correct band strut or widen the slot in the original strut.

Selective items such as the pump and stator thrust washers, oversize steels, and clutchpack snap-rings would be ordered on an as needed basis depending on what is needed to set up the proper clearances during re-assembly.

The following are companies that have a reputation for selling OE quality aftermarket transmission parts and who I trust and recommend for my parts needs. They carry brands such as.
Borg Warner
Raybestos
TransTec
National
Federal Mogul
Clevite
Chicago Rawhide
As well as a limited supply of selected Genuine original equipment replacement parts.

http://www.atcdg.com/ Note: By the way I just found out that the Axion/ATC site is loaded with intrusive spyware, just a warning before you click on it

http://www.transtarindustries.com/rebuilders.asp

Thanks for the info!
Any word on your article?

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Awesome BH, Thank you.. I freakin missed your response.. What a dummy.. :( You are The MAN...!

These are notes from another thread from the C4 God..! ;D

You had a cork & metal clad gasket. I dont think that type is available any more but Napa used to sell them under the Victor product line.

Another tip, throw that rubber gasket in the garbage, it is worthless. You wont be happy with its performance. I usually buy the cork gaskets from Transtar but your local transmission shop should have them.

Here's more...
C-4 Transmission Pan Gasket Service for stock steel pans:
When removing the pan use a 7/8” flarenut wrench to get the dipstick tube loose first before loosening the pan bolts. Make sure all the pan bolts are the Ford flanged type. The incorrect pan bolt can also cause leaks due to improper or uneven clamp load in the areas surrounding the bolt holes. Choosing the right type of gasket is important. Paper gaskets are not as friendly when used with older vehicles and usually require over-tightening of the pan bolts to make them work.
I have never seen a rubber pan gasket that didn’t leak on a C-4 no matter how tight it was. As far as I’m concerned, any C-4 pan gasket that comes folded inside a box from a part store is absolutely worthless. Go to a transmission specialty repair shop and buy a cork gasket, and any other supplies if needed. The best way to prevent leaks is to spend some time preparing the gasket surfaces. The trick to making the pan seal is to make sure the pan surface is flat and free of any stray gasket material.
I have a wire wheel on my bench grinder for getting these clean. A dry gasket surface, free of oil and dirt is important. Most all transmission pans on trucks this old will be distorted on the gasket surface. You will likely need to straighten your gasket surface on the pan before reinstallation. The pan can also get distorted by using a paper gasket because you have to over tighten them in order to get them to seal. I usually straighten pans with a special punch that is larger diameter than the bolt hole but ground to a very shallow cone. The back of a ball peen hammer also works well for this. Brace the pan rail from behind with a straight block of hardwood, steel, or the edge of a workbench.
By using a hammer with this punch you will cause the bolt hole to go beyond being flat and just a little concave on the gasket side. But when you tighten the bolt it will draw the gasket surface on the pan flat again. Using the hammer, straighten any other distorted edges so as to make the gasket surface straight and level. When tightening the pan, the same torque spec will not work with all gaskets because of different gasket manufacturers. For this reason I tighten them by feel and by sight.
When the gasket starts to bulge just slightly around the bolt that you are tightening, that is usually enough. The important part is to get them all evenly torqued. Draw the bolts down evenly, and do not over tighten. You will need to go over them 3 times to get them all evenly torqued. A speed handle is my favorite tool to do this. Use no sealer with a cork gasket, if you managed to get the pan surface straight with a hammer and punch that I mentioned, and it is clean, dry, and free of oil, it will seal properly without a problem. I have the best success installing cork gaskets dry. If you must use sealer, use Gasgasinch.
Apply the sealer to both sides of the gasket as well as the sealing surfaces and let it dry to a haze before positioning the gasket and installing your pan. Whatever gasket type you decide, careful preparation must be taken before and during installation.

Regarding the hump in the botton pan:
This pan was designated on all C-4 equipped with ford trucks that were 4x4s. All Broncos and some Econolines with the pathfinder conversions had the extended sump. The deep sump is needed in order to keep the transmission pump from starving for fluid on steep inclines and declines. The Deep Sump must also be used with the exclusive Bronco Filter and sump pick-up pipe assembly. Flat bottom pans were not factory equipment in 73-77 EBs.

Filter & relief valve:
When changing the filter try to use a filter gasket It is better to include a filter gasket but not critical. When removing the filter be careful when loosening the last bolt. You will find a spring and a valve pushing the filter away from the valve body. Do not lose these vital pieces and make sure they get installed in their proper order.

Sump Pick-up Pipe
When you change the filter that has the rubber grommet, you clean and reinstall the pick-up pipe onto the new filter. When I bought my 73 some dumbass failed to reinstall it (probably threw it in the trash with the old filter) and I had to buy a good used one from Jeff’s Bronco Graveyard and it wasn’t cheap. Without the pickup pipe it will be necessary to slightly overfill the transmission to get proper clutch and band engagement. Overfilling is not recommended but in a pinch it can sometimes keep you from being stranded.

The Hi gear Pressure relief Valve:
When installing the filter, the little valve goes into the channel first with the cup facing the valve body and the little peg resting inside the coils of the spring. Then install the filter and bolts positioning the retainer tab over the spring to hold it in place. Some C-4s have a ¼” steel ball instead of the valve in this location, these setups work fine but are not factory equipment on any C-4. The steel balls usually get installed when the technician looses the valve. ¼” steel balls seem to be more common than the valve and readily available in most transmission shops.

Filter Bolt Torque:
Tighten the larger valve body bolt to 9 foot lbs. and the smaller bolts with the 5/16” head using a nut driver. Now you are ready to install the pan.

I wish you much success with your do-it-yourself maintenance.~BH~

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Modulator

More notes:

No 3rd gear shift
A number of things can cause a no 3rd shift condition. The most common seem to be usually a malfunction in the vacuum modulator system. The following are a list of preliminary things to check on your vacuum modulator circuit.
1) Make sure there is a good intake manifold vacuum signal reaching the vacuum modulator. Trace the vacuum line from the back of the intake manifold down the bell housing toward the back of the trans. Make sure the line and hoses are in good shape and capable of delivering a good vacuum signal to the modulator located just above the pan on the right rear side of the trans. Sometimes a simple replacement of a vacuum hose will cure the problem. A good vacuum signal will be 14-18 in.Hg on your vacuum gauge at the modulator @ idle. Not every C-4 can be expected to perform well if these vacuum readings are not met. A worn engine, and or poorly tuned carburetor, or ignition can cause a poor or inadequate vacuum signal.
2) Make sure the vacuum modulator itself is not bad or broken. If you remove the hose from the vacuum modulator and transmission fluid comes out of the hose connection, this is an indication that the vacuum modulator diaphragm has a hole in it and is considered bad or broken and in need of replacement. I usually check them with a hand held vacuum pump, and a postal scale. If you are in doubt or don’t have the proper tools to check the operation, replace the modulator. Sometimes these checks can indicate a good modulator and the vacuum modulator tested can still be bad. When in doubt, replace it with a good OEM brand like Century Brass, Scovill, or Rostra Controls.
3) Be certain the vacuum modulator valve inside the transmission case moves back an fourth freely and is installed properly. The shaft at one end of the spool valve will be pointed toward the rear of the car when installed properly.
4) The modulator pin needs to be in place. This is a steel pin that is about 3/32” in diameter and about 1 ½” long. This pin is the link that goes between the vacuum modulator diaphragm and the spool valve, and is absolutely needed for proper function of the modulator circuit. ~BH~

Modulator Pressure;
The pressure is increased by a drop in the intake manifold vacuum signal coming from the engine. This signal actually increases or decreases the spring tension on the modulator valve and by doing this boosts a certain circuit of hydraulic pressure inside the transmission. If your engine is running good and well tuned, it may be delivering too strong of a vacuum signal to make the transmission behave satisfactorily. One of the ways you can compensate for this surplus of good vacuum is to either change the modulator to a different one or re-calibrate the existing one. The latter is only for fine tuning and should not be used for severe changes.

Adjusting the Screw;
To increase modulator pressure, you turn the screw in as if you were tightening the screw. To decrease modulator pressure, you turn the screw out as if you were loosening the screw. Increasing modulator pressure will cause the shift points to be later and firmer. Decreasing modulator pressure will cause the shift points to be sooner and softer. Turn the screw 1-2 full turns at a time then test drive the vehicle. Repeat the procedure, if necessary until desired results are reached. !Do NOT turn the screw more than 4 FULL TURNS in either direction from the factory preset or damage to the modulator could occur! The modulators come pre-set from the factory with a neutral adjustment, which is approximately 1 to 3 turn in from flush with the end of the mod. from this point, backing out the screw will do probably nothing. To increase modulator pressure you tighten the screw. Do not exceed 4 turns.

Adjustment screw location:
All 6 versions may or may not have an adjustment screw, which is usually located inside the vacuum hose connection with the exception of the red-stripe modulator. You will find the adjustment screw by unplugging the hose connection to the modulator at the trans. The red stripe dual input version, the screw is not located inside the hose connection but in the center rear of the diaphragm housing. The adjustment screw on the red-stripe dual modulator is found at the rear and not inside the hose connection. It cannot usually be adjusted unless the retainer is removed.

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Transtar Info

Email for help & also a PDF with parts listing, that may be of some value....

info@transtar1.com

Attachments

• Transtar List_C-4_C-5.pdf
    170 KB · Views: 116
OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Hey BH, have got ahold of Transtar & they don't have the 26022BHD-front band, but they can get the R26022B, BAND, C4 INTERM RIGID 2.100", WIDE(1965-67) - relined. Will that work?

Also, the METAL CLAD SEAL FOR THE ADAPTER HOUSING (double lip) 26074TA, is no longer available.....?

Thanks for the help....

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
BTT.. Next question, this is the only rebuild kit required per your specs? Rest to be determined upon break down & inspection....?

I got all my prices, just need to order now once you confirm. AND they are in the KC area.. ;D

Thanks again BH..! ;)

BwoncoHowie

C-4 Wizard
Hey BH, have got ahold of Transtar & they don't have the 26022BHD-front band, but they can get the R26022B, BAND, C4 INTERM RIGID 2.100", WIDE(1965-67) - relined. Will that work?

Also, the METAL CLAD SEAL FOR THE ADAPTER HOUSING (double lip) 26074TA, is no longer available.....?

Thanks for the help....

sorry I havent responded in an expedient fashion. ive been off line. moved to a new home location and At&T has been jacking us around on our internet service for a week.

Yes, as long as the band is for 65-67 relined will be ok 1964 only hard band will not be ok bc its narrower and wont last very long.

regarding the seal find a chicago rawhide dealer and buy this part number.
Chicago Rawhide. #18676

I bought one from a company called unitrax a few years ago, it cost about $22.00.

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
sorry I havent responded in an expedient fashion. ive been off line. moved to a new home location and At&T has been jacking us around on our internet service for a week.

Yes, as long as the band is for 65-67 relined will be ok 1964 only hard band will not be ok bc its narrower and wont last very long.

regarding the seal find a chicago rawhide dealer and buy this part number.
Chicago Rawhide. #18676

I bought one from a company called unitrax a few years ago, it cost about $22.00.

I can understand that man.. Hope you all get settled in soon.

Thanks for the help. ;)

chuzie

Bronco Guru
sprdv1,

Did you get all your parts for the C4 rebuild yet?

How is it going so far?

What did you end up paying for your parts?

Did the list work out for you? How about the two parts you had to sub?

Looking for an update from you because I am about to do the exact same thing.

Thanks!

BTW- It is funny how I stumble upon this thread only days after I remove my C4 because I can't get it into 3rd gear. I bet it was the modulator but the sucker is already out and so I am going to go ahead and rebuild it. Gotta love it!!!

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
sprdv1,

Did you get all your parts for the C4 rebuild yet?
How is it going so far?
What did you end up paying for your parts?
Did the list work out for you? How about the two parts you had to sub?
Looking for an update from you because I am about to do the exact same thing.

Thanks!

BTW- It is funny how I stumble upon this thread only days after I remove my C4 because I can't get it into 3rd gear. I bet it was the modulator but the sucker is already out and so I am going to go ahead and rebuild it. Gotta love it!!!

That's why I kept posting good info when I got it.. I did finally round up all the parts, locally except for one seal I wound up getting from an EB ATMUS online... Wish I knew a better place, but they were okay...

Getting ready to hook up w/a man that works at a friend's auto shop to do the rebuild for me. Supposedly he worked on Ford Trannies, for several years...

Parts minus the seal & shift kit were right at $180... After a couple shipping/handling charges, the damn $15 seal was like $33... Look at Post # 13....

Also got the transgo shift kit from the same place...Had shipped to my house, because there were none in stock..
Say around $40... Transtar Industries.... When I get to work tomorrow, I can post the ladies name/email/# for ya.. They will ship as well...

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That $180 also included a flex plate too, which might not be necessary for your rebuild... Think I got a little ordering happy.. :(

Holding off on the torque converter, until my tech tells me what kind of condition he thinks it's in..

Hope all this helps... ;)

chuzie

Bronco Guru
That is a great help. Thanks!

I am talking to Ms. Hill at the Charlotte office. We are working it out so I can use a "local" account and have it delivered to me directly. She is going to shoot me a quote for the parts listed in post #2 tomorrow morning and I guess I will snag the haynes manual from advanced tomorrow afternoon and start studying for the teardown.

Tracked that seal down in California for $15.00 but if I can find one from someone more local for the same price that would be preferable.

I have no idea what I am going to do about my TC.

Thanks again

OP
OP
sprdv1

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
I've heard the TC rebuilds are not that difficult, and we have lots of vendors on here that will most likely have a rebuild kit for those...