• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Just Venting, but why doesn't anything ever fit right

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
I don't know if it is just me, or does everyone have the same types of problems.

No matter what I order for my bronco, nothing ever seems to fit right, and allways needs to be modified.

It isn't like the parts I order are from no name companies. It happens with Scott Drake, Dennis Carpenter, or whomever.

Here are the latest things I bought and none of them fit right.

Scott Drakes coolant overflow bottle. The hose wouldn't fit into the bottle, it was at most 1/4 of a inch wide inside the neck. I had to drill it out a ton.

Not sure who makes the door panel, but all the venders get them from the same place. Not only was it made cheep, the Mylar should have been flush, but the chrome trim is just to wide. This caused me to have to cut off at least 1/8 of a inch off the top of the door cups to get them to fit. I really should have trimmed them a little more, but oh well it is done now.

The Arm Rest by Dennis Carpenter are about 1/4 inch smaller tham my old arm rests, and they actually cover part of the door cup on the back side, and the holes were really not spaced right. I got them on, but if you know what to look for you can tell they are just not right.

If it was just a one time thing, I would just chalk it up to aftermarket parts, but it happens everytime I order stuff. None of my weatherstripping all Dennis carpenter stuff, really fits right, and i am afraid to buy a windshield gasket.

I am not mad at any of the venders, as there are not many choises on who they can but parts from

Well sorry about venting, as i did get everything to fit, but none of the stuff is really the way I would like it. But all in all it looks much better

Attachments

• overflow.JPG
    overflow.JPG
    56.7 KB · Views: 213
  • BlackDoorPanel.JPG
    BlackDoorPanel.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 242
  • BlackDoorPanel2.JPG
    BlackDoorPanel2.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 206

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
I just purchased a new Winshield Washer Resevoir (says Ford on it with the ford Part number) and it fit correctly, but when I was mounting it, the top popped off. Not the filler cap, but the entire top of the tank (not supposed to come off, in fact it is supposed to be water tight). It only had a dab of glue in two of the four corners. I ended up taking black silicone and running a bead all the way around, popping it back on and weighting it down while it dried. So not a fitment issue, but just lousy quality of a Ford Part!

Ohio Bronco 21

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cleveland
Im with you. be careful of the windshield gaskets, there is one type floating around that is very hard to get on your glass and it tends to pucker in the corners. I sometimes find myself fabricating more stuff for a new part than old.

trlblazr

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Mesa AZ
Been there. Murphy has been hanging out at your place for awhile, but it looked like those girls fit right on your hood the first time.

surfer-b

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ohio Bronco21...
[Im with you. be careful of the windshield gaskets, there is one type floating around that is very hard to get on your glass and it tends to pucker in the corners./QUOTE]
I just had this experience, I got it from JBG, it was the non-slotted version. I worked on it for about an hour, its looks as though the weather strip is not wide or long enough for the glass. When I did get it installed it did exactly as you said, the corners wouldn't lay down, not only did it look like crap but this would have been a disaster, a great place for water to destro the w-frame and instruments.
luckly I had and older slotted version I had purchased a few years ago, I don't remember who I got it from, I installed it in about 15 min, it fits the way its suppose to. I would like to know who makes the one that doesn't fit so we could pass along the word not to buy it.

cgbexec

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Naples, FL
[/QUOTE]I just had this experience, I got it from JBG, it was the non-slotted version. I worked on it for about an hour, its looks as though the weather strip is not wide or long enough for the glass. When I did get it installed it did exactly as you said, the corners wouldn't lay down, not only did it look like crap but this would have been a disaster, a great place for water to destro the w-frame and instruments.
luckly I had and older slotted version I had purchased a few years ago, I don't remember who I got it from, I installed it in about 15 min, it fits the way its suppose to. I would like to know who makes the one that doesn't fit so we could pass along the word not to buy it.[/QUOTE]

Great! I have the non slotted from Jeff's that I purchased about 18 months ago. I will be ordering a new windshield soon. So what you are telling me is that this is not going to fit properly? That sucks.

Bronco

Loc.
Mountain View, CA
I feel your pain about stuff not fitting right. I just spent 4 hours trying to get a new lift gate handle mechanism and new handle in and it still doesn't work right. I thought it was going to take 15 minutes or so.

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
My Dennis Carpenter windshield gasket also did not fit, it was too big. Had to reuse the old one, luckily it was in decent shape.

TM Toys

Loc.
Barboursville , VA
I just had this experience, I got it from JBG, it was the non-slotted version. I worked on it for about an hour, its looks as though the weather strip is not wide or long enough for the glass. When I did get it installed it did exactly as you said, the corners wouldn't lay down, it look like crap[/QUOTE]

x2 ... Thought it was just my luck ...

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
If you can get up here your welcome to steal it %)

it'd cost me more than $200 to get there... :p

seriously, do you still have the shifter that came with your kit? or did you even have one at all?
BTW, weren't you coming to houston for a race?

Dr. Bronc

Ohio Bronco21...
[Im with you. be careful of the windshield gaskets, there is one type floating around that is very hard to get on your glass and it tends to pucker in the corners./QUOTE]
I just had this experience, I got it from JBG, it was the non-slotted version. I worked on it for about an hour, its looks as though the weather strip is not wide or long enough for the glass. When I did get it installed it did exactly as you said, the corners wouldn't lay down, not only did it look like crap but this would have been a disaster, a great place for water to destro the w-frame and instruments.
luckly I had and older slotted version I had purchased a few years ago, I don't remember who I got it from, I installed it in about 15 min, it fits the way its suppose to. I would like to know who makes the one that doesn't fit so we could pass along the word not to buy it.

I just ordered the slotted version. So I hope it will fit. ?:?

Baja71

Bronco Guru
My Dennis Carpenter windshield gasket also did not fit, it was too big. Had to reuse the old one, luckily it was in decent shape.

Ok, that really sucks because I just cut mine up to get it out and was planning on a DC seal.

BamaBronc

Loc.
Alabama
The winged floor pans from WH ARE NOT the ones to get. I've been fighting with the driver's side for a couple wks now. Heavy material but quality workmanship is missing. I guess that's where I come in...of course to be fair, if you look at the welds and fitment of panels from the factory...that's a whole nother thread.

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
me too

I just purchased a new Winshield Washer Resevoir (says Ford on it with the ford Part number) and it fit correctly, but when I was mounting it, the top popped off. Not the filler cap, but the entire top of the tank (not supposed to come off, in fact it is supposed to be water tight). It only had a dab of glue in two of the four corners. I ended up taking black silicone and running a bead all the way around, popping it back on and weighting it down while it dried. So not a fitment issue, but just lousy quality of a Ford Part!

I sent one back, and the next one was almost as bad. The top will not come off but all the the water sloshes out of it.

Roadburner

My son Dan bought the complete weatherstrip kit from LMC Truck and everything seemed to fit good. I'm surprised to hear Dennis Carpenter stuff doesn't fit, their parts are usually good.
Getting good body panels is a crap shoot. I've used some that fit perfect, then there is the aftermarket quarter panel that I had to cut into 4 pieces then weld it back together just to get it close to fitting. Should have just made that panel out of bondo because that's what it ended up being after the body work was done.

6daze

WH lift blocks

I spent over an hour grinding lift blocks to fit the U bolts. The blocks are too wide, in fact they taper out in the middle. I could not get the U bolts to fit in the grooves on the axle. These should drop right in!

904Bronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Martin, CA
"Simple bolt on" really means custom install...

"Cutting torches and Hammers will always have a place in the tool box."

Nothing ever fits perfectly on a 30 + year old rig and "Generally" quality after market replacement parts can be hard to find... Just an observation ;D

I will say that most of the Bronco Vendors I deal with, Try to make things right.