• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

4x4x2..tell me why I can't do this..

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I've been working on some brackets for mounting the steering gear box.
Most of the ones I've seen are mounted so that the upper part is quite a bit above the frame. Is there a reason for this?
The brackets I'm working on mount it lower, closer to the frame. They are not done. I still have some trimming to do and make the lower box in section. But before I get to carried away with the finishing touches I want to see if I'm missing something.

Attachments

• 4x4x2 01.jpg
    4x4x2 01.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 121
  • 4x4x2 02.jpg
    4x4x2 02.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 110

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hmmm , won't need much of a drop pitman arm.
Not an expert in this area at all , but make sure you don't get in a situation where the track bar and streeing linkage angles get all screwed up. I can't really see how that would happen here though.

Judging from stories here about steering boxes pulling through the frames , I'd make sure to beef the heck out of your brackets where they drop below the frame ; gussets ,braces, whatever , etc...

Hal9000

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Flagstaff, AZ
Looks like a good idea to me. Just make sure that the input angle is good enough to accept the steering column w/o any issues.

I'll def be watching this post to see how it progresses since I'm doin the 4x4x2 conversion this spring and was planning to build my own bracket... So be sure to post final pics and such!

mr.n

I built a custom mount for my Jeep. Move it 4" forward, up and titled it flat. Used 3/4 & 1/2 plate
It caused the pitman arm TRE for the drag link to be lower than stock.

Works great, however I didn't cycle the suspension. (Suspension moves a lot, great flex) My Steering links hit the frame on the opposite frame rail. UGH! I ended up finding a pitman arm that worked, but it took some time.

My Suggestion. Tack it in place, hook up the steering and axle, cycle the suspension best you can. Look for problems, which if you've plenty of lift I don't seem many...
I like it as far forward as you can fit it, looks good so far. Maybe check clearance with the pitman, TRE and inner plate.

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
The problem with putting that box down low is it is so long it will hit other front end parts during compression. Why not just find a f-150 4x4 box and avoid all the problems of the 4x2 box?

00gyrhed

Bronco Guru
the reason most people mount them higher is due to the fact hat they are reusing two of the holes in the frame. It is also nice because you can actually have 2" of body lift and still make a straight shot from a steering column if you are careful.

If you are going to run enough lift to need a dropped pitman arm them what you are doing will help with that. If not I would mount it up high where the holes line up and reinforce the frame.

Stick with the 4X4X2 it worth the trouble.

OP
OP
siderbox

siderbox

Bronco Guru
Thanks for all the input.

The clearance problems is what I was after.

I'm not worried about strength. When I get this thing all cleaned up and you see what is going into it you won't be worried either.;D

--Hal9000
When I get closer to welding I plan on making a template of all the pieces. If you like it I can get them to ya.

Some spec info
It's going to end up with a 4.5" lift with a 1" body (clearance for the ZF)
FW (narrowed 3") axles with track bar riser and tie rod over set up.
I do have a drop pitman but would rather get away from using if the geometry works out.
I plan on using u-joint steering shaft. So I don't think that will be an issue.

Nobody

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stanwood
You really don't want the box any lower then it has to be. Ideally you want the pitman arm be at the same hight as the trac bar mount. So unless you are using a trac bar drop bracket, which aren't that great, keep the box up high. It also helps with the steering shaft.

eb-steering-clearance.jpg

rtreads

Loc.
I used the WCB rebuild kit that came with a new mounting bracket. If I recall correctly... what you have built is like nutz on for position. I havent tried mine yet due to an issue (just posted new thread) with the pitman arm. Their relocation bracket is .75" thick and really stout. You might want to do what you can to keep the bottom for your bracket from flexing. Just a thought.

Looks GOOD!

OP
OP
siderbox

siderbox

Bronco Guru
I knew I saw one that was mounted like that. I looked at the WCB one. That looks so close. Thanks for that. It was the 3/4" off set that I didn't like about that one. I'll have 3/16" off set
I'm going to sleeve the bolts and box the bottom. I have all the other pieces. I promise this is going to be strong. I just didn't want to put it all together if it was going to work.
We all know how long it takes to undo a welding job.%)

rtreads

Loc.
Good work!

I didn't see much disadvantage at the time of the 3/4" mounting plate so I went for it just due to the ease of bolting it up.