• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Picking up a New project on Saturday

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
There was a guy recently selling some parts on Craigslist in Chicago about two weeks ago...............Some really good parts! I called him and we got to talking. He stated that he was involved in a collision with an elderly lady shortly after purchasing this new to him EB. He was going to part out his Bronco due to too much damage beyond his mechanical ability. Although it would have been a good deal for me to go and buy up all of his stuff ( ie. soft top, diffs, seats, harnesses, roll cage etc. ) I talked him into repairing it.

It is a 74, Black in color, decent body. The front clip was ripped off in the accident. It needs everything from the firewall forward. To make a long story short, I am going to help out a Bronco brother ( for a small cash fee and I mean small............and a few of my own spare parts ) to get his EB back on the road.

I am hoping to build a newfound friendship out of the build up along with a nice spring project to soak up some of my spare time at home. Hopefully, after a couple months work, he will be showing up with it at some of our midwest events. I will post some pictures on Saturday after I trailer her home. Stay tuned.- Mike

thegreatjustino

Contributor
Red Head Grease Monkey
Loc.
Stockton, CA
That is a great story. Not just because you may have a new good friend out of it, but you also get to save another EB from being parted out. Replacing a front clip should be a piece of cake to an experienced Bronco guy. Enjoy the weekend. Post some before and after pics.

OP
OP
DRBRONCO69

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
I will post pics. Especially since I don't post pics of my own stuff. Go figure. It needs new complete inner and outer fenderwells, core support, radiator, fenders, hood, and shroud. The truck is pretty solid. The harness was ripped away at the firewall so she does not run. Fan and tranny lines were damaged. Dizzy and wires too. The majority of the rebuild will be labor intensive. He has purchased all the replacement front end pieces either new from popular vendors or used from Tom Carper from The Bronco Ranch. I am really looking forward to working on someone elses truck. Beats staring at mine in the garage.:p It needs a little front door post work but the owner has decided to run the truck with the option of using inserts and doors depending on weather conditions. I am a little concerned with one thing. Ever since the wreck, the tailgate on the passenger side has a gap of about a half an inch between the quarter panel. I can't see anything bent bodymount wise. The tailgate barely shuts. I am hoping that something is just tweaked a little and with some pulling or shimming, I can straighten it out. The undercarriage of the truck looks really clean.
Either way, it's one less in the scrapyard and one more still on the road.:)

Heus33

Bronco Guru
Thats awesome - good karma brother!!

Mustve been a pretty bad wreck to do that much damage though. Hope everyone's okay.

Sweathog

Loc.
Lansing
May kharma remember this deed. Also, a nice refresher for you to work on something other than your own truck. Let me know if you come up missing on any parts. I might be able to help with the goodwill.

TheBroncoRanch

Bronco Guru
Cool Mike, You working on this one?
bronc11.jpg

Let me know if you or Matt need anything else

Tom

Blueknightcrew

Loc.
Lodi
Doe's Mike qualify as a "experienced Bronco guy"LOL I've got plenty of bodywork to do on the Hauler if you have to much spare time. Great story and looking forward to seeing you soon. Maybe in Alabama??

Ron

OP
OP
DRBRONCO69

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Hey Ron, I won't be able to make Alabama this year as much as I would like to. Too much going on with the wedding and this new project along with trying to put my own truck back together before Hot Springs. Tell everyone I said Hi though. :)

Dogdare

Tom

I remember that post and the pics. IIRC, everyone walked away.

This does sound like major good Karma. May there be an uncut "barn-find" in your future.

herb

Mark

Contributor
Bronco Klutz
Loc.
NW Indiana
Way to go Doc!

You might want to plan that garage building party weekend!

:) ;D

Bring those asian babes! Oh wait that's for the Michigan party.

fatboy

Contributor
Glad to be here.
Loc.
New Hampshire
What an excellent deal. I really like to see people helping each other instead of people taking advantage of a situation. Cannot wait to see teh pictures too!

HoosierDaddy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Did Mike mention he's a body man by trade ? (IIRC)
Someones getting a tremendous hook up here.
Way to go Mike .

Pa PITT

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Stephenville TEXAS
Man I was going to say Mike do you want to move to Texas ..I have an empty rent house and a barn that would make a Bronco shop and a Bronco to lend for the project...Keep up the good work..

OP
OP
DRBRONCO69

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Well, I brought it home on Saturday afternoon. It took a while to get it on the trailer. The front steering linkage was all bent to hell so I swapped it out with a complete trail spare set I had. Swapped the busted wheel for a spare and come-alonged it up on to the trailer. Loaded all the parts in the back and headed home. It was too dark to shoot pics that day by the time I unloaded everything. I sent Matt's wheel out to a local wheel repair place to get it fixed and picked up a replacement tire. His new/replacement fenders needed some work so I have been working with those over the past week and are almost ready for paint. Tomorrow, I will start stripping his used core support and readying that for paint too.

Pretty cool working on someone else's ride.;D

Matt ordered a Centech harness for it that I will be installing and also new hinge post/pillars. His are pretty rotted and we have opted to replace them instead of trying to patch what he has.

PICS SOON..............As daylight savings starts this weekend.;D

- Mike

OP
OP
DRBRONCO69

DRBRONCO69

Chicago Mike
Loc.
Chicago, Illinois
Update

Got the new fenders in paint today, stripped, prepped and undercoated the core support for installation, and started stripping the used hood. Matt dropped off his new Centech harness, inner fenderwells, cowl vents and Flex-O-Lite Mojave heater. The weather here in Chicago is bearable again and soon will be starting to assemble this badboy!

broncomitch

Bronco Guru
Loc.
west jordan, utah
bronc11.jpg

Tom

boy.....its like looking into the future with my bronco. the only thing holding the front clip on is the fenders and core support :cry: im hoping to fix that next winter.

and what the hell was that old Lady driving! a super duty??????