• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Cold air intake in place of fresh air vent

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Just throwing this out there. It seems like you could take out the fresh air vent, box it out some and make that your airbox. I know the brake booster is in the way, but you could plub behind the dash instead of under hood. Thoughts?

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I would think it would work - that area is a low pressure zone, so plenty of flow. My vent box is pretty useless. In the winter snow packs in, when it melts it drips inside - so a storage box, air intake, about anything is more useful than what it does now. I guess just make sure there's a guard on top so water doesn't mess up your filter on the first rain.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I think you'd get a lot of noise inside the cab from it.

Heus33

Bronco Guru
I was thinking of the same one Don. That is if you're into that whole freakin sweet custom look... %)

OP
OP
lonesouth

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I was thinking it could go there, but would require a switch to a mohave or other non-factory heater. Whereas, the fresh air box, by most accounts, is worthless.

Dave

Contributor
Bronco Guru
This is what I'm doing with my project.

Attachments

• Airbox 007 (Large).jpg
    Airbox 007 (Large).jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 369
  • Airbox 004 (Large).jpg
    Airbox 004 (Large).jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 277
  • Airbox 002 (Large).jpg
    Airbox 002 (Large).jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 267
  • Airbox 001 (Large).jpg
    Airbox 001 (Large).jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 261

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
I saw an eb that used the heater intake box as the fresh air intake. Looked cool, it was a carbed engine though.

65 mustang

I agree with Justino , there are some totally clever out of the box thinkers here! Like my buddy allways says " Got more time than money,Hey get me a beer while your up!!" Scott

getfuzzy

just added some pic's to my gallery of the cold air intake that I made now I wish I'd keep my stock hood, take a look and tell me what you think

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Saw this nice real functional cowl induction at the AZ stampede last night

Attachments

• P1010132.jpg
    P1010132.jpg
    123.1 KB · Views: 211

DZap

Loc.
Houston, TX
Just throwing this out there. It seems like you could take out the fresh air vent, box it out some and make that your airbox. I know the brake booster is in the way, but you could plub behind the dash instead of under hood. Thoughts?

Could it clear??.......

?:? .........I'm going towards the passenger side(fox efi) and through the firewall already........
The heater has already been removed. I'm going to have to look and see how hard it'll be to get over there.......
BC accumulator/filter is right there though(under the dash[and I smoke]:-X )......

OK just walked all 30 feet to the truck.......that sucked!!:p

Nevermind......box was removed so PO could install accumulator......
I'm intending to put my air filter in the passenger side, under the dash....
boxed in underneath the dash and pulling air though a plenum built over the
fresh air vent for the heater, or straight up through the cowl.
It'll be louder inside but the filter will be high and DRY.....
that way if the intake is going underwater, the computer is getting it too.....
Kinda, the point of no return, if you will..........

It floods here in the Houston area...A LOT....so I'll have a little hidden snorkel instead of
having some cheesy looking crap hanging off my truck.
Then I can swamp all the little commuter cars!! :D'yay

DZap

Loc.
Houston, TX
just added some pic's to my gallery of the cold air intake that I made now I wish I'd keep my stock hood, take a look and tell me what you think

Like yours, but plumbed in under the dash and drawing air from under the hood, through the body or ???

Same basic idea.........