• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Bowers 69 Project at WCB

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Here's a few pix of a Bronco we've been working on here at WCB, its turning out pretty nice. When it first came to the shop it was a basket case abandoned project. We deleted or re-did some of the previous work then set out to turning it into another great WCB build.

It showed up as shown here. Goodies it already had were a pair of Dynatrac Dana 60's, an incomplete 393 stroker and Atlas II.

dscn8421.jpg

Some body work had already been done, some of which we would have to re-do later. It had some aftermarket radius arms and hoops, another brand of springs, a pre-fab cage from one of the vendors. All of these would be taken off, sent back or sold. First to come out was the cage, which we replaced with a WCB custom 6-point family cage.

dscn6760.jpg

Next up a set of WCB radius arms and a custom version of our tubular shock hoops:

dscn6764.jpg

The inner fenders were removed and a custom tubular core support fabricated. I don't have a photo of the core support at this stage but you'll see it later after powdercoat.

dscn9932.jpg

A Wild Horses "Buckaroo" hood is going to give this hot rod an aggressive look:

dscn6769.jpg

A custom WCB tubular pre-runner style front bumper came next.

dscn8800.jpg

Then we fitted a set of our extreme duty rocker guards.

dscn8802.jpg

With most of the major fabrication completed we pulled the body off the frame, as this is going to be a ground-up frame-off build. We flipped the body over and prepped it for spray-on liner:

dscn7436.jpg

It came back from the liner place looking great. The entire underside, fierwall, wheel wells, etc was done.

dscn7483.jpg

While the body was at the liners, the frame was at the paint shop and all of the fabricated items were at powdercoat. Once everything was back at the shop it was time for the first stage of re-assembly.

dscn7488.jpg

The frame was painted gloss black, and the shock hoops, radius arms and most other items were done in metallic Silver Bullet.

dscn7489.jpg

The cage has frame tie-ins at all 6 points.

dscn7491.jpg

Next we began setting the drivetrain back in, starting with the stroker.

dscn7532.jpg

Soon the built C6 and Atlas II were back in, as well as the Dana 60's and the rolling chassis was back on all 4's.

dscn7658.jpg

Next the body was placed back onto the frame and the tubular core support, now powdercoated Silver Bullet, installed.

dscn7740.jpg

The cage had been powdercoated silver gray as well, and the front and rear bumpers gloss black. We did a quick assembly of all the major parts to see what it would look like just before sending it to paint.

dscn8139.jpg

At the paint shop it got the remaining body work done, and a striking coat of fire engine red. This thing is starting to look awesome.

dscn9457.jpg

We had the inside of the tub spray-lined after paint. The liner goes all the way up the firewall.

dscn9465.jpg

We also had them line the step areas of the roadster inserts.

dscn9461.jpg

At that point the re-assembly was put on hold for a while, as we were building and moving into our new shop. With that done, we recently went back to work on it and have made some quick progress.

dscn6934.jpg

dscn6948.jpg

The cage looks awesome in silver bullet, against the bright red paint and black bedliner. I didn't note it before but the cage also has an integrated rear tire mount (inside the bed), seat mounts and a center console for the Winters shifter.

dscn6938.jpg

dscn6942.jpg

The Buckaroo hood looks awesome in fire engine red.

dscn6949.jpg

Under that hood it looks even better, with the powder-coated hoops and core support, aluminum radiator and Trick-Flow topped stroker.

dscn6950.jpg

The custom dash we built features all Autometer Pro-Comp gauges. The speedometer is GPS-driven. The dash was also powdercoated silver bullet. Nick's Trix column bezel and Flaming River polished column finish out the dash.

dscn6941.jpg

dscn6965.jpg

The fabbed cover on the right end of the dash houses the motor for the low-mount wipers.

dscn6969.jpg

The rocker guards were powdercoated gloss black. The WH Guerilla Warflares fit snugly to the top of the rocker guards. We used stainless steel socket head cap screws instead of rivets to attach the flares.

dscn6964.jpg

WCB Rockcrawler power steering box. Deaver coils powdercoated Silver Bullet.

dscn6945.jpg

We even powdercoated the custom crossmember. The underside of this thing looks as nice as the exterior (well except maybe for that scuffed up trans pan)

dscn6947.jpg

And that's it for now. Thanks for checking it out. This one will be up on our website soon along with our other build-ups, in the "projects" section. I'll post up more pix as we button it up further.

dscn6980.jpg

Dusty

Last edited:

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
That is one FINE Bronco, I will have to look at this one multiple times ;)

chris

No more Rock Crawler
Very nice, very nice indeed. :cool:

You guys should market that inner core support, maybe make it in four sections that bolt together for easy shipping? Figure out a way to make the center section different sizes to meet different widths. The center section could be welded together by the end user, it would help us folks who are benderless.

weasel

Loc.
Norfolk
That is a sweet build. I second Chris idea of marketing that inner core support. ;D

11wnb

Beautiful rig. Do you have any plans to market the front bumper?

DonsBolt

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Chestnut Hill, Mass
good thing I live so far away, as I am sure I would spend a lot of money,

It does look awesome.

Any plans to sell a tube front end kit ??????????????????????

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
Beautiful rig. Do you have any plans to market the front bumper?

Not currently. Maybe at some point, but the bumper market is pretty saturated already (we usually use Protofab bumpers). We only fab custom ones whenever the customer wants something that you can't already buy, and its pretty expensive to fab something one-off.

Dusty

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
That is a sweet build. I second Chris idea of marketing that inner core support. ;D

Yes we do have plans to market a tubular core support. We've been hinting about it for a while, we just need to complete the design and get it into prototype (it would be different from any of the one-offs we've done). We've built tons of them over the years but its always custom-fabbed for the specific truck we're working on. Its a whole 'nother deal to design one that fits everyone's rig, that can be mass produced on a jig and installed by the buyer. Now that we're moved and as things start to smooth out we hope to have more time to concentrate on this and other R&D projects we've had on the drawing table for a while.

Dusty

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Beautiful work, as always, Dusty. You guys at WCB seem to 'get it right' with so many of your builds.

One question - I like the little cover for the wiper motor for Gary's windshield frame. Do you think that cover would work with a stock glove box?

I'd like to start my dash/windshield frame project soon and I like the cover but also want to retain my glovebox.

Thanks,
Todd Z.

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
A truly amazing and fine build there WCB. Someone is going to be very happy with that pony, fo sho. A big investment, I am sure, but a splendid result. Congrats to you guys on doing a fine job.

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
One question - I like the little cover for the wiper motor for Gary's windshield frame. Do you think that cover would work with a stock glove box?

I don't see why it wouldn't, Todd. It doesn't intrude into the area where the glove box door goes.

Dusty

OP
OP
Dusty

Dusty

Bronco Guru
nicely done there boys! your painter did you right, looks great.

It was painted at my cousin's shop, McComas Auto Body in Hemet. He does nice work and has a lot of Bronco experience. He's currently re-painting the Pikes' Stroppe racer. That one should be back in front of the Denny's in Baker soon, with some shiney new paint.

If anybody in So Cal wants a reference I highly recommend them. They do spray-in liners too (they did the liner on this one) so they can do that and the paint at the same time.

Dusty