• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Starting my 351w EFI build log. IT RUNS!!

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
The 302 in my 75 decided to loose oil pressure so now i am going to go bigger and better.

The plan is a built, fuel injected 351w with a c4 behind it. I had thought about a 418w stroker but i could not justify the need for it.

This is my 3rd ford efi conversion and i have completed a TPI conversion and a LS1 conversion in the past. I hope i have learned a few things to make it easier.

So far I junked out a 94 bronco. From it i robbed the roller cammed 351, remote mount tfi, starter, all fuel lines, and the tank / pump. I hope to use the factory fuel lines to make this easier. they look like they may work. If not i will see if i can mix and match some from the pull a part to use all factory ford lines.

The 351w had 170,000 miles on it so a rebuild is needed. so far i have the following parts.

1. new speed pro forged pistons and rings
2. canfield 190 cc heads
3. FMS 24lb injectors
4. edelbrock performer intake
5. 75mm BBK throttle body
6. ultra flow long tube headers
7. C&L mass air meter with 24lb tube
8. 89 mustang harness that i plan to wire for the remote mount TFI
9. a9l computer

and more.

I am not sure about the cam choice yet. I have always built "race" engines for mustangs, and i do mean race engines. my last engine was a 438w in a dart block that makes about 800hp on motor and a 400hp shot of N2O on top of that. I know i do not need that big of a cam. I am thinking about leaving the stock 94 bronco cam in there for now.

Butler Cylinder Head in Mississippi will be doing all the machine work. Lamar (the owner) has done all my machine work for the last 10 years and has never let me down.

BWYMUkg2kKGrHgoH-DkEjlLl0KttBKKikIe.jpg

DSC_0108P.jpg

img.jpg

canfields.jpg

and here is my ls1 in my 69 camaro ;D the bronco will not be so shiny
eng1-1.jpg

Last edited:

Broncobowsher

Total hack
The remote TFI will be set up for computer controlled dwell. The A9L will not control dwell as that was done by the module on the mustangs. I hear a remote module that controls dwell exists, but I never found a source. A couple years back I was looking for the opposite, distributor mounted computer controlled dwell module.

Gray modules control there own dwell, black modules use the EEC computer to do it. (I think I have that right anyway). Some of the computers have a setting in them to change which module you are running. You need an aftermarket chip to control that. Considering all the changes you are making and the mix and match parts you may want to keep the idea of a chip handy to get the tune right. If it doesn't run right with the hardware you have picked out, it isn't necessarly the hardwares fault, it is probably the tune of the computer running so many changes combined together.

As for cam, look for a stock 5.0 HO unit for a simple upgrade. In the mustangs they were set up to make a lot of torque to idle down the freeway in overdrive but still wind out fairly well.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
i will be using the gray TFI and have researched the remote mounting. it is a easy swap and many mustangers have completed it. there are several ways which to accomplish it. one is to use to remove the tfi from the distributor and then mount it to a heat sink and run 3 wires over to it. the other is to use the 351w remote mount set up with the 351w distributor. there are about 3 wires to run. I am not sure if the bronco computer controled the dwell. i will have to look into it.

it will be dyno tuned after completion.

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Sounds like you have a good handle on it. Should work out good for you.
Since you are having it tuned anyway you might be able to save some money and get a more generic MAF such as the Ford Motorsports lightening unit. Being a production piece it will be easier to find a replacment years from now in a small town from a dealer or parts store.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
the C&L maff uses the stock ford sensor in a billet tube. no problem finding parts. they can be a pain though, it seems that you have to clock them until you get a good idle. i have had them at every angle imaginable.

blakerj10

Loc.
Gillette
Great. Thanks for starting the thread. Please keep it going as you procede. I have a worked over 351 that I would like to sefi, and your build will certainly provide insight.

Looks great. Love that Camaro engine bay!

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
There is a place in Laurel to dyno tune.

My engine is at the machine shop and i will pick it up on thursday. I should have it built (minus pushrods) on friday and have it set in the bronco. I have been working on the fuel sending unit and it will be interesting.

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
ok. i picked the engine up from Butlers Machine shop and had a couple hours to work on it today. I gave it all a good cleaning and layed the crank. then started on the pistons. I also picked up the rest of the rebuild parts. new timing set, new bearings, new balancer, one piece oil pan gasket, new water pump, trick flow stage 2 cam, roller rockers, O2 sensers, etc.

EFI2.jpg

EFI4.jpg

EFI1.jpg

EFI3.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
thanks, i will check it out.

I got all 8 pistons, cam, and timing chain on now. I am working on cleaning the rest of the parts right now. I may be done for the weekend though. Family plans are taking over :)

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
well plans have changed a little.

I have a buddy with 94 lightning. last year his oil pump went out. he did a complete rebuild on the 351w. 5.0 cam installed 2* advanced, rebuilt gt40 heads, roller rockers, new bore, etc. well 1000 miles after the new engine was installed his $4000 tranny took a dump.

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

He installed a chevy 6.0 and 480le in his lightning. (before you knock it, he has more HP, better gas mileage, and a better tranny for less then the cost of the ford tranny)

he put the lightning motor in a 89 gt and i bought the GT. i figured the engine i was building would be better in the GT so i yanked the lighting motor and put it into the bronco.

I also lucked up on a V8 explorer yesterday. I got the serpentine set up. real GT40 heads, and the complete intake.

I removed the GT40 tubular intake from the lighting motor. I plan to sell it to recoupe some of the $$$$. i even got the lightning plaque.

10e2de95.jpg

62fa59e1.jpg

i used all the factory 94 bronco EFI fuel lines and filter. way easy to do.
b57df0a8.jpg

this is my temporary fuel pump set up. It is a 1994 mustang 5.0 sending unit. i had to have the return fitting welded on due to it being a different size. it does not have a level sending unit yet. i am waiting on the eletrical fitting to install the level sending unit.

cef93b91.jpg

i have a wild horses 1" body lift coming to give me some more room. i have welded the O2 bungs in the headers and have the exhaust complete.

OH........... as far as the remote mount TFI set up. the lighting owner installed the truck distributor with remote mount TFI in the mustang and it worked perfect. ;D

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
well i have got a little more done. I put the front serpentine set up from an explorer on the front.

I used the performer intake, 70mm throttle body, stock mass air meter and stock injectors for now.

I have installed a 1" body lift so the body would clear the headers.

I picked up a Hehr 160amp alternator but i will not fit the explorer bracket :(

I also picked up a tilt column out of a 79 frod truck.

modified the gas pedal to the same lever ratio as a mustang.

450064a3.jpg

13d6f95f.jpg

b1561828.jpg

773b11a0.jpg

215aa9fc.jpg

4972ad33.jpg

lonesouth

Contributor
Bronco Guru
what is the pulley for? I hope you either had the engine balanced to 50oz or got the explorer balancer rebalanced to 28oz...Looking good though! got any more info on the particulars of the remote mount TFI?

OP
OP
B

Bronco_69

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Monette Ar
what is the pulley for? I hope you either had the engine balanced to 50oz or got the explorer balancer rebalanced to 28oz...Looking good though! got any more info on the particulars of the remote mount TFI?

that pulley fits a stock 28oz balancer and works with the explorer set up ;D

i have mixed info on the remote mount. Broncowisher says it wont work. I OWN a mustang that has a remote mount set up out of a lightning in it (a9l computer). so i know it can be made to work. some (i think the black TFI modules) are set up different. i will let you know in a week or two if my set up works. all i did was look at both wiring schematics on Ford fuel injection.com and i did a little rewiring. it was really simple.

some ifno that i have found
There is a difference that started with early 90's Ford TFI's, but did not apply to pre-'94 Mustang EEC's. They are differentiated by the color of the module...... gray = standard transmission and black = automatic transmission...... or gray = "push-start" and black = Computer Controlled Dwell (CCD).

I know there are differences in the part number for all TFI's (80's included) based on the type of transmission they use, but the specific differences between both styles is still something I need to find out since their wiring and the use of the "start" voltage applies to both styles........ whereas the "start" voltage signal is not used in CCD TFI configurations.

Last edited: