• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Big Oly Pics

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I am sure some of you have seen these.....but I thought I would share just in case. I though they were really nice.
[/URL]

The best modern write-up on that truck, for sure. Boyd Jaynes is an awesome photographer.

Todd Z.

AGShelby

Loc.
San Antonio, Texas
Peterson auto Museum

Was this truck displayed at the Peterson about 3 years back? I remember looking at one that was very similar, but didn't pay too much attention to it at the time.

I also remember one being in a cafe out in Albuquerque - possible a clone. I forget the name of the place - it was about 10 years ago. It was a 50s style diner and it had a similar race bronco behind a display in the dining area.

Anyone remember either of these ?

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>> here's one of big oly's twin I-beam suspension in action .........................................................................................
scan0001-vi.jpg

knoxbroc

Loc.
Knoxville
While I have your ear...

I was also wondering if you guys could help me identify the logos circled in green:
olydecals.jpg

Thanks again,
john

dvldav

Loc.
Clarksville, TN
I'm curious if anyone has pics of the mechanism used to raise/lower the lights on top.
I know Ted Nuggent had something similar in a big bronco along time ago, and it has always facsinated me. thinking of doin something similar in my 71 half cab.

thx in advance, Dave

chuck

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Ingram, Texas
mechanical linkage and a lever if I remember right. we use a accuator on our racer to get the bar up and down. If you care I can dig up a picture. My guess is Todd Z has pictures of the BO device.

dvldav

Loc.
Clarksville, TN
That would be great, I dunno if it would be realistic with wipers but i work in a shop that has anything i need for fabrication. I am nowhere near ready but continue to plan.;D

knoxbroc

Loc.
Knoxville
I'm curious if anyone has pics of the mechanism used to raise/lower the lights on top.
I know Ted Nuggent had something similar in a big bronco along time ago, and it has always facsinated me. thinking of doin something similar in my 71 half cab.

thx in advance, Dave

I am not sure who exactly sent me these photos but here is Ted's Before "snake" paint:
Nugentzebra18.jpg

Nugentzebra19.jpg

Nugentzebra20.jpg

Nugentzebra21.jpg

Here are two of Oly:
First was in the Dirt Sports feature:
i14-1.jpg

Second was taken at Fab Fords. Knob shown with the lights down. Again, not sure who took/sent it:
8b257b6d.jpg

On both sets it appears that the knob attaches directly to the the bar that holds the lights... no rocket science here.
John

Gud Racing

Bronco Guru

thx in advance, Dave

The light mechanism's don't differ too much. That red and white logo looks like Firestone. Ted's bronco was built by Stroppe.

l_701ee7c3fab8425794cadedf8be8aba9.jpg

knoxbroc

Loc.
Knoxville
There is a Firestone logo above the front tire.
oly3.jpg

Here is another shot that a little clearer:
oly2.jpg

And to keep knocking the thread off topic, any idea what the small "4" above the number in the horseshoe stands for?
John

dvldav

Loc.
Clarksville, TN
Thanks all for the pics, I'm gonna try and fab it up. Gonna have to work around the wipers but I dont really see a problem.

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
And to keep knocking the thread off topic, any idea what the small "4" above the number in the horseshoe stands for?
John

The '4' designated the vehicle was racing in Category 4: Non-Production or modified vehicles that have two occupants.

Todd Z.

knoxbroc

Loc.
Knoxville
I was able to decern that the the decal on the rear top fender is more than likely the Taylor logo (the seat brand).
olydecals.jpg

Only two left. The bumper sticker behind front fender and at the bottom of rear fender. Here is another photo I found with the latter decal (circled in green):
f-decal.jpg

I have searched many photo sites of racers of that time period (Nascar, road racing, drag racing, F1, etc) and not any with that decal except for desert racers from the late 60's/early 70's. I am guessing it is a brand whose shop is located in SoCal area.

As for the decal behind the front fender, bumper sticker for a location? The current Oly has a couple of bumper stickers: San Nickolas Resort Hotel (in front of rear fender) and Mike's Sky Rancho (under the spare at the back.)

Any guesses?
Thanks

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
I was able to decern that the the decal on the rear top fender is more than likely the Taylor logo (the seat brand).
olydecals.jpg

Only two left. The bumper sticker behind front fender and at the bottom of rear fender. Here is another photo I found with the latter decal (circled in green):
f-decal.jpg

I have searched many photo sites of racers of that time period (Nascar, road racing, drag racing, F1, etc) and not any with that decal except for desert racers from the late 60's/early 70's. I am guessing it is a brand whose shop is located in SoCal area.

As for the decal behind the front fender, bumper sticker for a location? The current Oly has a couple of bumper stickers: San Nickolas Resort Hotel (in front of rear fender) and Mike's Sky Rancho (under the spare at the back.)

Any guesses?
Thanks

The one on the front fender is "Viceroy Racing Team". I'm trying to figure out the one on the back corner for you.

Todd Z.

knoxbroc

Loc.
Knoxville
The one on the front fender is "Viceroy Racing Team". I'm trying to figure out the one on the back corner for you.

Todd Z.

Thanks much Todd. Did a Google search and found the sticker right away!
If you get bored or are looking to some inside info about the dealings with Viceroy and Vel/Parnelli Jones this link is great:
http://dale.ckm.ucsf.edu/
They have scanned tons of Tobacco-related documents, and by doing a search (Parnelli for instance) you will find the terms for their partnership. Did not make time to search for Bronco-related but found their Indy car specs/brands/prices for sponsorship, etc. Funny that it says in addition to the sponsorship money they also received a free carton of sigs every week! Boy have times changed.

Todd, the other logo was also on your Rod Hall racer most of the time just able the front tire on the fender.

Again, thanks sooooo much for this help.
John

toddz69

Sponsor/Vendor
Bronco Guru
Thanks for that link, John. I could get augered in there for hours :). I'll look for that decal on pix of our truck. I tend to miss details like that.

Todd Z.