• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Hardest (most durable) spray paint?

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
What's the hardest (ie. most durable) rattle can paint you can get? I've used Hammerite and "Appliance Epoxy" (both by Rustolueum) and they're decent. I'm just looking for other opinions.

This would be for things like bumpers, rock sliders, skid plates, etc.

Thanks!

allenfahey

Bronco Guru
Jon,
Use POR-15 for rust control and then top coat with Rustoleum, Hammerite, ect. Wait till the POR is almost dry and then start with a light coat of the spray bomb. Then you can easily touch the bumpers ect. with the spray can.

GraficO

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Albuquerque, NM
call an automotive paint store... they may have something in a rattler that might be more durable than the Rustoleum stuff... but the appliance paint is probably pretty high up there ;)

70_Steve

Old Guy
What's the hardest (ie. most durable) rattle can paint you can get? I've used Hammerite and "Appliance Epoxy" (both by Rustolueum) and they're decent. I'm just looking for other opinions.

This would be for things like bumpers, rock sliders, skid plates, etc.

Thanks!
I had used that appliance epoxy before, and, as you said, it's decent. Lately, I've been using plain old engine enamel. I've done my front and rear bumpers, and a bunch of brackets, the new tranny crossmember, etc. and it seems to be doing as well as any other rattlecan paint, and possibly a little better. But I have to admit I've also gone to the trouble to get the bigger parts sandblasted before I've painted them. Somehow that seems to have made a difference in how durable the paint is.

Edit: I've also realized that there is such a thing as "too hard". I did my cage in POR 15 Whitecoat. It came out great, but the paint is so hard that it chips very easily.

Socal Tom

Bronco Guru
Loc.
San Diego, CA
I'm going to try rolling on the rustoleum hammered paint on to my bumpers. From what I've seen online it should come out thicker than spray, but about the same finish.
Tom

t.lay

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Grayslake, IL
I did the spray-on rustoleum hammered look. Held up for about a year outside - fading now and some spots coming through. I'll probably go POR 15 to shine up my bumpers. The rustoleum out of the can is better than the paint bomb version

Wyldebill

Loc.
Berthoud, Colorado
I have used Rustoleum Commercial grade out of a spray can before and would be tempted to compare it to powder coat. Only negative, is a minimal choice in colors and the only place I have found it so far is Lowes.

Landho

Loc.
Cypress, TX
If you're interested in the $18+ per 12oz can, there are 2 part epoxy aeresols avaiable - like Spray Max and Rubberseal http://autobodystore.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11006

I tried one can of this stuff: http://www.rubber-seal.com/prodview.asp?prodID=2068 It was an ugly ass color... it sprayed okay, but sh!t it was expensive for the coverage received. One can didn't cover my entire hood properly . For touch-up work, maybe - but for the whole rig I went another route.

If you try one of the aeresol epoxy primers, don't spray it without a respirator - I did the Rubber-Seal epoxy and then PPG high-fill flex primer over my fiberglass hood without a respirator and coughed and couldn't breathe right for several days. I will NEVER make that mistake again.

For bumpers and other stuff - I'm a big POR-15 fan. If you take your time and do it right, it comes out smooth like butter. They have a 10% off thing going on right now, too.

OP
OP
admin

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
I just wanted to come back and thank everyone for the suggestions in this thread.:)