• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Anybody ever put a 250 inline six in an EB?

truck174ff

Loc.
st. cloud fl
I'm building a 250 and I was woundering how big a power jump you saw from the 200 or 170. I've put a mild cam and putting a header, DSII, port divider, and porting the head with a 500cfm carb, so would expect more but I had most of this on my 200. Just curious?;D

Last edited:

Revelation

Bronco Guru
I'm not doing a 250, I went with a 300! But being in St Cloud, when I get mine done up here in Lake City, we are going to have to start a "Friday Night Bronco Cruise", Seems there are many in St Cloud.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
my dad did, years ago. it came out of a maverick, and it would climb a telephone pole at idle if it could get the traction. he had to install a 3.5" lift to clear the oil pan because nobody knew how to float a weld back then.

bmbm

250 six in Bronco

Replaced a 200 with a 250, both stock, and there was a noticeable increase of low end power. I also went with the NV3550 at the same time so that made the whole driving experience different, kind of hard to get a feel for the 250 upgrade by itself. The 200 had points and the 250 got the DSII so that could have made a very slight difference maybe. Thinking about a cam and direct mount Autolite 2100/head mods now. Not because it needs it just because I can.

spdrac

I put one in my 68,has good low end power.I drive it mostly on the road never took it off road.It has a c4 trans,electronic ignition,a header.It will never sound like a v8,but it gets up to 65mph fast enough.I think if you drive off road alot you might want the v8 power but if you drive it every day a 250ci is fine.

Explorer

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Raphine, Virginia
There are a couple of 250 swaps going on now. They should join in when they see your post. I chose to stay with the 200 due to not being able to find a 250 close enough to buy.
spdrac: You would swear my 200ci is a V8. Got a sound clip in my build thread, but it doesn't do it justice.

Bronco Brian

Bronco Guru
I think if you drive off road alot you might want the v8 power but if you drive it every day a 250ci is fine.

WRONG the 250 I6 is a great off road engine. Maybe not for the mud but everything else I did it was fine.

OP
OP
truck174ff

truck174ff

Loc.
st. cloud fl
I put one in my 68,has good low end power.I drive it mostly on the road never took it off road.It has a c4 trans,electronic ignition,a header.It will never sound like a v8,but it gets up to 65mph fast enough.I think if you drive off road alot you might want the v8 power but if you drive it every day a 250ci is fine.

Low end is just what I want. I can do 65 in my 200 now. I have a 4 speed with granny gear, what I'm hoping for is enough to start out in second with out riding the clutch. And off road a little more low end would help in the soup too

broncokak

Bronco Guru
I know it's a dumb question but what was the MPG w/ the 250 vs a 203 or 289? I have a parts rig that has a 250 in it that I always wanted to rebuild. It would be a good motor for my girls EB when she turns 16.

OP
OP
truck174ff

truck174ff

Loc.
st. cloud fl
With 38s I was gettn like 20 to 22 mpgs hopefully I won't loose a whole lot more with the 250, but i am gonna dump a lot of fuel down it so will shall see.

Smokeater11

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Auburndale,FL
LOL!!! Chris these fellas obviously don't know you....;D "IF" you drive it off road??!! Hell the only time I've ever seen that thing on the asphault is when it's being flat towed TO the off road!!! For crying out loud if that thing gets much more power it'll be unstopable!!

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
With 38s I was gettn like 20 to 22 mpgs hopefully I won't loose a whole lot more with the 250, but i am gonna dump a lot of fuel down it so will shall see.

Wha??? My 250 (bone stock) EB lifted 5.5" on 35s with 3-speed got 16 on occasion..and that is the best fuel economy of all of the 7 EBs I own or have owned ever got. Hell, my 04 Nissan Murano only gets 22 mpg on the highway..

broncokak

Bronco Guru
Speaking of 250 sixes, My buddy Todd dug the old parts truck that has the 250 in it out from behind my Dad's barn last week. The Farm is for sale and it needed to be moved plus Todd has a project he needs an engine compartment for mock up... but that is another story. After sitting at least 10 years (more like 15 I think) that 250 fired up and ran like a top! No smoke, 60 PIS of oil pressure and no ticking! Now I'm interested in the 250 six again. Like I don't have enough Bronco projects!