• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

CLUTCH, please help, dont want to get rid of my baby...

71Rig

Ill start off by saying I have 0 mechanical skills but I love broncos more than life and I really would hate to give mine up. My clutch is about to give out (The truck will be in gear and I will push on the gas and the rpms will rev up but the truck will barely move). I brought it to a mechanic today to look at it and see if he can adjust it but if he can't hes going to have to replace the clutch which is money that I dont have considering i'm a broke college kid and would be forced to sell it. Anybody have any ideas or cheaper alternatives? I live in coral gables/south miami so if there are any bronco brothers out here willing to check it out that would be a lot safer than leaving it in the hands of a random mechanic. Let me know!

luderchris

Bronco Guru
Loc.
SouthEast PA
Someone down there should be able to take a look for you. I would think if it needs to be replaced, someone could help you with that too.

Who do we have down there???

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Other than I'm completely baffled as to why having a clutch go out means you would have to sell it..and how that does anything but make a bad situation worse. I guess then you could buy a bicycle??:?

Jeez..I'll send you a good used clutch via UPS if you need one. I must have a half dozen good ones just lying around, not that a reman at Autozone costs much to start with. I'm sure somebody can/will give you a hand with a the swap...;)

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
If you can get someone to help you it will be way cheaper you can get a clutch kit for around $120. Just dont get the cheapest kit they offer or you will be spending money on it again. Doesnt mean you need the most expensive one either. Most shops will charge you around $500 just for replamcent not including parts. If I was close by I'd definetely help out.

barronj

Bronco Guru
Buck up & figure it out.

Surely there's somebody in your circle of friends who knows how to turn a wrench.

You're still young, surely there's some highschool or community college close to you w/ an automotive program that you know of... See if they'd be willing to wrench on a classic. I have a friend who got his factory 5 cobra painted that way.

70_Steve

Old Guy
Ill start off by saying I have 0 mechanical skills...

considering i'm a broke college kid...
Geez!!! What are they teaching in schools these days!?!? %) Please don't tell me you can go through 4 years of college and not know how to change out a clutch!!!:eek:

I agree with bmc69 that it wouldn't make sense to sell it, expecially if it has mechanical problems. I would suggest posting in the Chat section to see if there's anyone in the Miami area willing to help. You also might post in the parts wanted section to get a deal on a clutch.

luderchris

Bronco Guru
Loc.
SouthEast PA
It sounds like he could get a good used clutch for free from bmc69.

Now I went through college and never learned a thing about cars. I didn't learn about cars until I was out of college and could actually afford one.

Anyway -- give the kid a break. I am sure there is a CB member down there that wouldn't mind helping him out.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Anyway -- give the kid a break.

I wasn't picking on his lack of wrenching skills...lots of kids don't have any. I was astounded that somehow selling a 'busted' truck because it needed a $120 clutch made any sense whatsoever. What's he going to do if it ever blows a tire??:?..or needs two tanks of gas in one week?:p

Devin

Bronco Kineticist
Ill start off by saying I have 0 mechanical skills but I love broncos more than life

Just keep your truck. Best way to get them "mechanical skills" is driving a really old vehicle. ;)

ep67bro

Contributor
Bronco Junky
Loc.
Easton, MD
Buy a LUK clutch from Bronco Graveyard. They are around $165.00 and it money well spent dont waste your time with Autozone or Napa junk. I know from experience you will just have to replace it 3 years later!!
A good freind, a few wrenches and a floor jack could get it done in a weekend. Get yourself a Chilton manual for the bronco and go to town.

doran4x

Contributor
Don't forget to get the flywheel resurfaced. With all that slipping it probably has a few hot spots and cracks.

jasonv

Most colleges have many student clubs. Many of them revolve around vehicles. My school also had a co-op garage run through the University Union. We have a 4x4 club, tractor club, and lumberjack team. Ask around I am sure that there are some people who can give you a hand. It's amazing what college kids will do for beer (money).

Jason

OP
OP

71Rig

Like I said before I truly don't understand a thing about the mechanics of cars, I can barely change a tire haha and unfortunately I don't have any tools or the money for them either. I would be more than willing to try and figure it out myself but the mechanic who looked at it today told me that the headers were blocking the transmission (or something else i really dont remember, I can find out if need be) and that it would take more work than just swapping out the clutch ( that I would have to drop out the transmission). He adjusted the clutch a little so I can drive it very minimally but said that I definitely need a new one.

I actually already looked for a club at the school previously and I feel like everybody down here in south florida is more worried about driving ferraris than a classic bronco so I don't know anyone personally that could help out. Thats the reason why Im looking for some bronco brothers to help me out

The Bronco Kid

Loc.
Worcester
Search the forums to get an idea of what you need to do. I'm a broke college kid as well haha, but that didn't stop me from starting an entire restoration last year. Everything I have ever learned in my entire life about automobiles has been on forums... search and you shall find.:D

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
the mechanic who looked at it today told me that the headers were blocking the transmission (or something else i really dont remember, I can find out if need be) and that it would take more work than just swapping out the clutch ( that I would have to drop out the transmission).

To replace the clutch requires that the tranny come out..or the engine pulled out..one or the other, regardless. That IS 'just swapping the clutch'..LOL.

It's not uncommon that headers and/or exhaust are in the way of pulling the tranny and t-case..in fact its almost always the case.

See what you can do to roust up some help..its not a technical job nor difficult. Just a PITA and 'grunt' work.

Be thankfull its an EB and not a Honda Civic or any newer vehicle w/front-wheel drive that needs the clutch. You would be astounded what that costs..and it is twice as hard to do without a lift and a lot more tools.;)

Ned

Loc.
Hollywood Beach
I left a mesage on your other thread, I can get you in touch with an EB mechanic but i cannot vouch for his work other than the guy I bought mine from used him. Let me know. I have never put a clutch on a bronco (only VW's) but it can't be that bad, just heavy. Get a manuel and start thinking about things you might need. ie: multiple jacks place to change it. Also if its yor first time start the project on a long weekend. Let me know mabey some fellow S. Floridians on this fourm can pool togeter and help out!

NC-Fordguy

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Bethel/Greenville NC
I had a cj-5 in college and had to replace a the clutch in it. Did it the parking lot of the Fraternity house I lived in with some help from my Fraternity Brothers.

Doesn't make much sense to sell a car because of a mechnical issue. You're not going to get much for it and then you have no transportation.

As far as the poor college student thing when I was a student, I worked a job and did army reserve once a month to help make ends meet. It helped to afford keeping the jeep going and to buy some tools which I still have 20 plus years later, Fortunately I did sell the jeep after graduation