• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

75' Bronco Build.

orange02ss

I picked up this bronco on Guam last year. Got a good deal on it although its a Guam truck so its pretty rusty. Its an island so everything rusts here. It has a 302 and 3 speed manual. Engine seems to have been gone through and it runs pretty good. Someone modded the carb also so it works pretty good even at steep angles. It has a 3" body lift and some 35's. I bought this truck to offroad so its not gonna be a trailer queen. I just want it reasonably rust free and decent looking. I have a shop in Texas and am out here for work (i go back and fourth quite a bit) so I have minimal tools out here. Its pretty hard going from a full shop with everything to making a sheet metal brake out of some c clamps and 2x4's. Luckily I was born and raised out here so my I have some stuff at my parents house still.

Here is a pic of just after I picked it up. I dont have any pics, but the passenger wheel about fell off on the way home. Nothing left of the bearings, I pulled the hub off without having to remove the hub nut. Luckily Napa had the parts in stock here (they usually don't unless its a Toyota). Its first off road trip.
bronco%20031.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Well I noticed allot of play in the windshield frame while driving, so I took a look and I knew it had some rust issues but I didn't realize the cowl was as bad as it was. The truck is in pretty good shape for being a Guam bomb! Allot less rust than is typical, it must have been taking car of in its previous life as the wheel wells etc... are in pretty good shape.

bronco%20038.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Here are some pics of the rusted areas. Both the top of the cowl and the boxed section are gone!

bronco%20039.jpg

bronco%20042.jpg

I pulled the dash to get at the back.

bronco%20041.jpg

bronco%20043.jpg

This welded flat bar was pretty much all that was holding the frame on!

bronco%20040.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Well its very expensive to ship body parts out here so I decided to just fab everything up. I didn't have a sheet metal brake so I improvised with some wood and c clamps. I also didn't have a welder here so I went down to home depot and just picked up a Lincoln flux core welder. (a tank of co/2/argon mix is about $350 here!) I also stopped and picked up some sheet metal, they only have galvanized here as anything else rust away when it is on the shelf waiting to sell. You just have to grind the galvanized off where you weld. I forgot how much flux core splatters when you weld!
bronco%20047.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

I treated all the rusty metal with some rust converter before welding over it, i also used some weld through primer (zinc).

This area was rusted so bad there was nothing left of it. I had to search for pictures on the internet to figure out how it looks, so I could get it somewhat close back to the way it looked.

bronco%20048.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Finishing up the lower part of the cowl boxed area. I had to do this area in sections instead of a single piece as I could not bend the whole section at once with my improvised brake. The most I could do was around 15" before it would mess up.

bronco%20050.jpg

bronco%20051.jpg

bronco%20052.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Front door post top repair. These area's were just gone, nothing left!

bronco%20057.jpg

You can also see some new sheet metal on the windshield stop, and the lower windshield frame.

bronco%20058.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Top section of the boxed cowl area finished.

bronco%20059.jpg

bronco%20060.jpg

I don't have a pic after i body worked and sanded it for some reason but it came out pretty good.

supp64

Loc.
Lone Jack
Guam

Wow so there are EB's in Guam. I have been here for two months and only seen lifted Toyotas and Jeeps. Its nice to here that the salt air hasn't completely destroyed it like all they other cars on the island. Are there more on the island that you know of?

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
More than likely someone brang it over and couldnt take it back due to the condition. You rarely see any old stuff in guam

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Wow so there are EB's in Guam. I have been here for two months and only seen lifted Toyotas and Jeeps. Its nice to here that the salt air hasn't completely destroyed it like all they other cars on the island. Are there more on the island that you know of?

I think there are 3 on island. My friend has one of them but it is in pretty bad shape, the other is a guy on the navy base I think.

Last edited:
OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Mine was a Guam truck that was probably brought here early in it's life. It has the old school zebart rustproofing holes that they used to do back then. They drilled holes, sprayed some rustproofing, and put plastic plugs with thier name on it.

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

In this pic, on the bottom middle, there is a tube sticking out..it has two screws holding it in. WHAT IS THAT?? Im restoring my and I have seen it a few times and wondered what it is, its been years since I tore mine apart so I dont remember

Its the antenna. Thats the wire sticking out and its just hanging in the pic.

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

Well, after I finished up the cowl I wanted to get the front back on for an offroad trip. This was July 4th last year. We were suppose to end up on a ridge where we could watch the fireworks but it turned into a huge mess. Two rolled trucks, and torrential rain that turned everything into a muddy mess.

Morning part of the trip at the waterfall area where we stopped to BBQ.
july%204th%20off%20roading%20030.jpg

Sigua falls, long hike down with ropes.
july%204th%20off%20roading%20024.jpg

july%204th%20off%20roading%20007.jpg

OP
OP
O

orange02ss

The drivers side floor was pretty rotted. The PO fiber-glassed over the rust and then screwed some diamond plate on top of it. Underneath it was the extra fuel tank (the screws for the diamond plate went through it). All of this just held the moisture it and it was gone!

Scrapping off the fiberglass.

photo%288%29.jpg

What was left of the floor.

photo%289%29.jpg