• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Ordered my tranny today.

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
I have finally made some progress on my Bronco and ordered my transmission today. Made some phone calls and ended up locating one of the national distributors for new and rebuilt transmissions. I was considering going the AX15 route, but after speaking to a veteran transmission rebuilder that works for this company I have decided on the NV3550. According to him NV Gear had some problems in the beginning but they have identified the problems and correct them as they send them out. He said hands down the 3550 is a much stronger transmission. It shows in the returns/cores he sees. Anyway long story short they have over 2000 new 3550's and 1500 parts 3550's. I managed to get a brand new NV3550 for $975.00. A rebuilt AX15 was going to cost me $945.00. A new AX15 or 3550 typically goes for $1500-1800.00+freight. Apparently I stumbled across the company that sells to some of our vendors as well as the Jeep vendors. Anyway If anyone is looking for a transmission let me know I will give you the info. I wish I had thought to ask about rebuilt 3550's. I will post up the info once everything checks out upon delivery and I talk to the rep. again. I think he did me a favor, so I don't want to get him in trouble.

taipeichris

Bronco Guru
Excellent choice! The nv3550 is one of the best purchases I've ever made on my Bronco. It's sssooo much fun to drive and the MPG went way up, but I'm running a holley 2v 500cfm carb which makes a huge difference.

DO add a 1 inch body lift, it will go in easier. AND look up my tech write up on how to make a twin stick shifter for an NV3550.

Good luck with the install!
Chris in L.A.

av bronco

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Palmdale CA
Good find, Im curious how this turns out. There are a lot of people here (including me) who want a 3550 at a bargan price.

OP
OP
broncodriver99

broncodriver99

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Glen Allen, VA
Well I finally got my transmission. The freight company decided to take 8 days to get the tranny from OK to VA. Here is the info and a couple of pics.

Smart Parts Automotive
1-888-995-7278
http://smartpartsauto.com/manual_transmission_nv3550_jeep.html

I spoke to Dylan who is the sales manager. The website price is $995.00. He said he would do $975 and an additional $25 off for the first few orders. There is no core charge on the new ones even thought the website shows one. Just tell him you know Russell with the Bronco. If we get enough interest he will do a little better.

They do have rebuilt 3550's but with the core charge they are the same price as a new one. The also have rebuilt NV4500's, AX15's, M5R1/2, and Ford ZF 5 Speeds. I'm sure he would work on the pricing for the other models as well. They have been great to deal with. Just don't use Central Transportation for shipping. I think the USPS would have gotten it here faster.

I guess we should convert this thread over to a group buy or something and see what we can get them to do on pricing. Post if you are interested.

Attachments

• S3010535.JPG
    S3010535.JPG
    136 KB · Views: 276
  • S3010537.JPG
    S3010537.JPG
    193.1 KB · Views: 232

brocken

Loc.
Seattle
That's what I paid for my NV3550 and it was well worth it.
It was tough to spend a chunk of change like that on a transmission but it makes the driving experience so much better.

Slim

Loc.
Costa Mesa
what kind of TQ and HP are the 3550's rated for? I thought I read somewhere about 300hp.?.? If so, is it beefy enough for some of your guys hot 302's and 351's? I know the 4500's are popular with the fullsize chevy guys for swaps. Is the 4500 just too much and a little overkill for the smaller EB's?

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
spec for the nv3550
This 5 speed is rated at 300 ft./lbs. at 7200
GVW. A stock Bronco weighs 4200 GVW. When installed into a Bronco, the NV3550 can then handle an even a higher torque
rating due to the lower vehicle weight - so strength is not an issue.

http://openpdf.com/ebook/nv3550-pdf.html

lonicus

Loc.
Costa Mesa
spec for the nv3550
This 5 speed is rated at 300 ft./lbs. at 7200
GVW. A stock Bronco weighs 4200 GVW. When installed into a Bronco, the NV3550 can then handle an even a higher torque
rating due to the lower vehicle weight - so strength is not an issue.

http://openpdf.com/ebook/nv3550-pdf.html

I don't want to be an ass here, but this is NOT true.

Torque is torque. it is independent of vehicle weight, the weight drops out of the equation, as the power transmission (bad term) is in pounds per foot. So at 1 foot away from the rotating axis the transmission is rated as being able to sustain 300 lbs without failure. In reality you can probably multiply that by at least 1.5 for safety factor (Unless its considered a human life risk, in which case I believe that its 11 or so? not sure)

However, your right, if the vehicle it came out of weighed 7200 lbs than you can bet that it wont have an issue pushing a 4200 lb vehicle. besides, I don't think any stock bronco engine is pushing out 300 ft/lbs.. built engines on the other hand...

Ethansdad73

Bronco Guru
I don't want to be an ass here, but this is NOT true.

Torque is torque. it is independent of vehicle weight, the weight drops out of the equation, as the power transmission (bad term) is in pounds per foot. So at 1 foot away from the rotating axis the transmission is rated as being able to sustain 300 lbs without failure. In reality you can probably multiply that by at least 1.5 for safety factor (Unless its considered a human life risk, in which case I believe that its 11 or so? not sure)

However, your right, if the vehicle it came out of weighed 7200 lbs than you can bet that it wont have an issue pushing a 4200 lb vehicle. besides, I don't think any stock bronco engine is pushing out 300 ft/lbs.. built engines on the other hand...

it was just copy and paste from the advance adaptors site.. thats why i put the link... so your not being a a$$

trailpsycho

Bronco Guru
what kind of TQ and HP are the 3550's rated for? I thought I read somewhere about 300hp.?.? If so, is it beefy enough for some of your guys hot 302's and 351's? I know the 4500's are popular with the fullsize chevy guys for swaps. Is the 4500 just too much and a little overkill for the smaller EB's?

Lots of folks running the NV4500 as well. I've had both. Utlimately, I wanted better gearing for off-road and highway, which I get with the 4500. Otherwise, 2-4th gear are nearly identical to the stock 3spd (which is good and bad)...some people like that and some dont. The 2nd, 3rd gear of the 3550 are nice for around town...and the 4:1 1st gear makes for a great launch. The 3550 shifts a little smoother, has a sportier feel...in that respect.

However, depending on which tranny shop you talk to, you will hear some horror stories about the 3550 as far as durability. I was unimpressed with the bearings (nylon races)...but the countershaft is substantial--much beefier than an AX15 (side by side). Its a fine swap, especially for a DD. If you do ever plan to crawl, the 4:1 1st gear is an improvement over a 3spd, but cannot touch the 5.6:1 of a NV4500 or ZF. The NV4500 is a much stronger unit but between its ratios and its longer throws, it feels more like a truck gear box. You can get good shifts from 2nd--->3rd and 3rd--->4th, which is where it counts, but its not a drag-racing tranny by any means. The gain is Crawl ratio=finesse=greater stability which means the rubber stays down...ideally...at least that was my thought process. As well, with the 4500 you can gear a little deeper since you have a deeper OD. Cost difference between the two is fairly minimal, a few dollars more for the NV4500 tranny. As well, the "kit" doesnt come with the cross-member (like with the 3550--which is stupid), so there is an extra $100 there, unless you build your own. Additionally, with the 4500 you will need to shorten/lengthen drivelines, so there are a few extra $$ there too.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
If you are looking for the best price on the adapter kit (basically everything minus the trans) give Randy at Adventurous 4x4 a call 301-791-6869, they have the best price that I have found. I think 750 plus ship, a hell of a deal.