• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Roof Rack Mounting

rjp1965

I am considering fabricating a roof rack similar to what we use on the race vehicles for my Bronco project. It will run the full length of the tub interior. I might even fab a safari cap also. Fabbing mounts for the family cage I am designing is pretty much a no brainer, but I also want to be able to mount it to the hard top when I am using it.

I want to use something like the Thule mounts for ease of use and so that I don't have to drill or otherwise alter the hard top. Does anyone have any experience with which roof rack mounts are a good solid fit for the EB hard top?

The rack will be similar to this one.

Attachments

• photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    147.4 KB · Views: 244
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 245
  • rack.jpg
    rack.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 190

76 bronco J

Bronco Guru
>>>> the regular Yakima 1A raingutter mounts clear the domed hardtop, no need for the highrise version...........

Attachments

• P5111394.JPG
    P5111394.JPG
    113.1 KB · Views: 318
  • P5111389-small.JPG
    P5111389-small.JPG
    144.6 KB · Views: 274

matt w

Bronco Guru
;)
>>>> the regular Yakima 1A raingutter mounts clear the domed hardtop, no need for the highrise version...........

Agreed! Thats what I'm running!

I am having my cage fabricated THIS WEEK!!;D and i will have some nuts welded into the tubing on the cage so I can mount the rails to the cage with out the hard top! ;D

Those two tube rails are light and I can get creative for a light mesh type of roof to the Yakima tube racks in case I want to haul light stuff on top!;D

matt w

Bronco Guru
PS....here are pics of mine!

Attachments

• vtx 1.jpg
    vtx 1.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 273

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
PS....here are pics of mine!

I just picked up a set of Yakima towers off of ebay. No tubes though. I know i'm being lazy, but length are you running on your cross tubes? I think the top is about 58", and yours is exactly what i'd like mine to look like. Might even save some cash and just go buy some galvanized pipe from one of the DIY stores.

thanks!

matt w

Bronco Guru
I just picked up a set of Yakima towers off of ebay. No tubes though. I know i'm being lazy, but length are you running on your cross tubes? I think the top is about 58", and yours is exactly what i'd like mine to look like. Might even save some cash and just go buy some galvanized pipe from one of the DIY stores.

thanks!

...shoot! I don't know! I will measure later today for you. I know mine is just wide enough to put one bike tray on the outside of the towers! Makes it a little easier to throw mine up and allows me to get 4 on top with no problems!

As far as the galvanized pipe idea...I see no problem at all...just paint it the color ya like and run with it! ;D I am not sure on the od of the pipe and if it would work but that is an easy fix any way ya look at it! I thought of doing that also if that need ever arose...it hasn't!
Good Luck!;D

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
...shoot! I don't know! I will measure later today for you. I know mine is just wide enough to put one bike tray on the outside of the towers! Makes it a little easier to throw mine up and allows me to get 4 on top with no problems!

As far as the galvanized pipe idea...I see no problem at all...just paint it the color ya like and run with it! ;D I am not sure on the od of the pipe and if it would work but that is an easy fix any way ya look at it! I thought of doing that also if that need ever arose...it hasn't!
Good Luck!;D

No rush brother, I'm just gettin all excited cause my bronco has been getting paint and body work for the last month and I'm dying to get it back. Plans already in the works for the second I get it home. But I really appreciate the fast reply.

As far as using the galvanized steel, it was just a thought seeing as how those cross tubes seem to get pretty spendy. Plus if I load something extra heavy up there and bend it, it would be cheap to repair. But your rig looks pretty sweet man!!!

matt w

Bronco Guru
Update...I took 4 pieces of this about 6 inches long and just enough to slide a nut between the tube and base of the channel. I drilled 4 holes in the channel to clear 5/16 or 1/4 bolts. I then welded these to the underside of the cage. This will allow me to mount my Yakima bike racks. or any other rack I want to make as close to the cage as possible, keeping my C.O.G. as low as possible. I will still be able to run a bikini or shader. Then when my hard top is on all that will be seen is the 6 inch strip mounted to the cage! A fairly clean look that only cost 10.00 for the c-channel at a local metal supplier.

I will post pics once I get the cage back! ;D

http://www.metalreference.com/21 HR Channel, C shapes.htm

matt w

Bronco Guru
Here I just got my cage..I am deciding between paint or powder...but here is what I did to integrate a roof rack when going without a hard top. I drilled 4 holes in the c-channel then had it welded to the cage...the guy pushed it against the tubes, which I did not want in case I needed to get to a nut from that side but oh well I will deal with that at the time.(slghtly bummed!%)) But you get the idea.

Attachments

• Cage Angle.jpg
    Cage Angle.jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 92
  • Cage Rack Mount Front.jpg
    Cage Rack Mount Front.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 116
  • Cage Rear Rack Mount.jpg
    Cage Rear Rack Mount.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 106

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well the cage is in and believe it or not the "Rack Mounts" for an overhead rack are there...I thought I would post since it looks so good and clean!

I will post up once the rack and bikini top are on!;D

Attachments

• Roll Cage mounts.jpg
    Roll Cage mounts.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 123

Baja71

Bronco Guru

That's what bothers me about roof racks on the factory hard top. The large dome makes for really tall racks. This one doesn't look bad. BTW, what color blue is that?

idhawkdriver

Loc.
Boise, Idaho
Well I got my racks mounted on my hardtop. They are the Yakima 1A towers. Works and looks good. Pretty soon I should have the gutter-simulators on my roll bar so I can run the rack with the hardtop off. Thanks for the idea and pics Matt W!

GrillMaster

Bronco Guru
I need a rack that will work with my soft top to haul a 14' ocean kayak. I may build a rack off the front winshield (braced to rollcage) in the front and off the rear bumper out back.

matt w

Bronco Guru
Well I got my racks mounted on my hardtop. They are the Yakima 1A towers. Works and looks good. Pretty soon I should have the gutter-simulators on my roll bar so I can run the rack with the hardtop off. Thanks for the idea and pics Matt W!

YOU are welcome!

Ya know I went camping and MTBing this past weekend and I loaded 3 bikes up and then strapped soft/light gear directly to the Rear Yakima Tube Cross Bar & the Rear Cage Cross Bar! Because of the bars on my cage I can use those as the bottom of my rack! I just put a towel between the Bikini Top (my Lowes 28.00 fabric top) and the gear I needed to stow on top! I will now NOT create a bottom for my Roof Rack as the cage itself is the bottom! ;D

Attachments

• a 3 bikes & soft gear.jpg
    a 3 bikes & soft gear.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 165