• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

lookin for ideas on a family cage for halfcabs!

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
hey guys, just trying to think of ideas about making a family type cage but still be able to use the half cab top. has anyone built one??? pics would be great! i want to be able to have the top on when i want to and then when its family time, take it off and throw a bikini top on over the whole cage with the kids in the back seat. i know the bulk head will have to be removed. but in its place, i was thinking to build a small frame system and use a piece of canvas or something in place of the bulk head that will have snaps that i can snap in place when i am running the top on to keep the elements out of the cab. im just wondering if it would look goofy with a halfcab and a family cage behind it. ideas please!

Thanks guys!

John

OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
hey thanks Tito! that would look sweet. i like that idea. anybody have a pic of a halfcab with the top on and a family style cage?

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I have the extreme half kit in mine and just took delivery of a family rear kit using the hoop made for the rear half cab bed and added rear hoop from a family cage.
My intent is to leave the front cab cage in place during the summer months and remove the rear half bars and install the family cage piece so my rear seat can be used by my kids etc.
I will assemble it and weld it in the same foot plate position so it is a direct bolt in.
I will not have it completed for a few more weeks due to my timing to get a chance to work on it.

Attachments

• Daves 2.JPG
    Daves 2.JPG
    51.1 KB · Views: 68
  • Daves 4.JPG
    Daves 4.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG00068-20100306-1714.jpg
    IMG00068-20100306-1714.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 95
OP
OP
johnnybgood74

johnnybgood74

Bronco Guru
Loc.
boise, idaho
nice website! lots of goodies that i want! mantruck, that is a sweet Bronco! i think its a great a idea keeping the back half removable. please send me a pic or two when you get the family part welded in.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
I have been working on the family cage back half and wondered what you think. I have it tacked together but will also install some kickers from the rear tube upper to the lower front tube along the sides.
I will run it this way with the top off for summer time 4 person off road and will install the rear bars I have behind the half cab for winter time use. I have it all designed to go into the same position for each rear piece.
I know... over kill, but it will be what I want.

Attachments

• SAM_0115.jpg
    SAM_0115.jpg
    130.9 KB · Views: 36
  • SAM_0098.jpg
    SAM_0098.jpg
    112.4 KB · Views: 40
  • SAM_0097.jpg
    SAM_0097.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 39
  • SAM_0096.jpg
    SAM_0096.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 35
  • SAM_0095.jpg
    SAM_0095.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 31
  • SAM_0094.jpg
    SAM_0094.jpg
    90.6 KB · Views: 40
  • SAM_0093.jpg
    SAM_0093.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 38

hoj72

Loc.
Austin, TX
looks good, any chance you have any pics of it without the top on it or does it not have an interior bar yet?

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
Here is one of when I built my front and rear cage.

And one from Moab, and of course 5 post up from this one.

I will get the top off later I don't have the time at the moment.

Attachments

• IMG00069-20100306-1715.jpg
    IMG00069-20100306-1715.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 21
  • P3100170.JPG
    P3100170.JPG
    134.1 KB · Views: 27

redneck0372

Loc.
Lebanon,OR
Mantruck that is the same idea i had. I have a full top now but want to also get a half cab and wanted a cage that i didnt have to have 2 different ones to take out and put in to change tops.

ManTruck

Bronco Guru
Mantruck that is the same idea i had. I have a full top now but want to also get a half cab and wanted a cage that i didn't have to have 2 different ones to take out and put in to change tops.

Well I had the full top and a family cage, which by the way is for sale. I wanted to do the the half cab set up for a long time and finally got around to doing it. That is what places me where I am today with the rear cage.

I wanted the half cab set up for when the kids were gone/collage and beyond. I can easily handle the fiberglass half cab with a removal for topless and the small cab keeps me and the wife a little more comfortable in the winter. My son whom helped me horse the full top off is not around much to help so I needed to make some changes. I still wheel in the summer with a passenger or two in the back.