• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dovenose & Dovetail

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
Well, I finally got around to dovetailing my junk. When I designed the cage, a few years ago, I brought the C pillars in to allow for this future mod.

In this BEFORE pic you can see how the body extended past the bumper and how the C pillars were angled in.

38237514012_large.jpg

In the AFTER pic you can see how it was brought in ~5" on each side. Once I shorten the rear bumper, to boot, the change should be pretty subtle. In order to bring the sides in anymore I'd have to notch the "bed rails" to fit around the C pillar.

38237514004_large.jpg

What do you think, leave it as is or notch the rails for an additional 2-3"?

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Now that's thinking ahead! ;D Nice work. I think I would leave it as is.

mavereq

Bronco Guru
nice work man. where's the tech writeup? i'm curious how you did it.

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
cant believe ya only did 10" lol...just kiddin, lookin good Axel!! good to see ya tinkering

scbronco

Loc.
Sumter, SC
i dig it! i like subtle yet functional... you will gain some trail clearance, and people will hardly notice... very sleeper! ;) you gonna do the top to match?

blwngsket

Loc.
Novato
Very nice. Can't believe you took out as much as you did. It hardly shows. Now you got me thinking........

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
dude...wth have you been!!!????that looks so bade-A! what did ya do for the inner fender and radiator support? did ya stretch the fenders any to match the hood?

miss ya on cb4x4!!

OP
OP
fdezone

fdezone

Loc.
Fredericksburg, VA
dude...wth have you been!!!????

New job, blah, blah, blah.

that looks so bade-A!

Thanks! I'm making a mini-version of your Fat Bottom Girl. Mine is sitting on full-width stock axles %). We'll see how they hold up with 37s.

what did ya do for the inner fender and radiator support?

I took a slightly different route than most and opted to keep the radiator support and inner wheel wells. We'll have to see how the final product turns out. ?:?

did ya stretch the fenders any to match the hood?

Still working that issue. More pics to follow. Oh, and don't worry, she's finally getting a new pair of shoes!

Last edited:

blazinchuck

Bronco Guru
thats awesome man...glad its coming together finally. i know ya been working it all out in the head...finally putting it to metal. im excited for ya. i miss my old FW axles...hell...miss ole FBG too:cry: