• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Is it advisable to do a 1000 mile+ journey on the EB?

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
This is my first post. Been lurking around here for a couple months basically "studying". Ive been wanting the EB for god knows how long and today I finally pulled the trigger.

The EB seems like a generally well restored car and everything looks clean. Its not exactly what I had in mind but close enough. Not like I needed another money hungry hobby but I get the feeling that this one will be.

I just told the wife that I bought the truck and surprisingly she is not pissed but excited. I steered her in the right direction with "options" for future upgrades and let her choose between options I like hoping to be able to blame her incase she ever complains about me spending too much ;D

The Bronco is in Ward, Arkansas and I live just accross the river from New York City. Thats just over 1200 miles. Ive always wanted to do a BBQ & Bronco road trip but a lot of people are cautioning me on this one.

Im looking for some advice from people who have done longer road trips in the EB.

I know you all like pictures and here is my soon to be baby:
Screen%20shot%202010-07-31%20at%209.18.09%20PM.png

Screen%20shot%202010-07-31%20at%209.20.37%20PM.png

Screen%20shot%202010-07-31%20at%209.21.45%20PM.png

new to bronco

Loc.
Milton Fl
Not know anything about the bronco i thing i would have it delivered,you never know what could happen on the road, and the cost to get it home after break down will be lot more than having it ship in first place, but it is great l;ooking bronco.

bronco-billy-66

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Madison Mississippi
I dont know about the road trip. I would trailer it or have it delivered. to many unknowns.. BUT.. That is one sweet ass Bronco. Love the color. Love the stripe. Good luck

broncokak

Bronco Guru
In 2000, my buddy purchased my EB in WA state and drove it home to Maine. He had a fuel pump issue and a brake issue but other than that it ran like a top. This year's trip to the Round up was just uncer 1600 miles total including the two days of trail rides but then again I know what I can do with my rig.

Your pictures look like the EB has been well kept. You must have a gut feeling about it? If it were me I'd fly down and driver her home. I'd set up a back up plan just in case.

Oh BTW that is a really nice color too! Can you give us more info? Engine, tranny info? gear tire size? Good luck and welcome to the Bronco Brotherhood.

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i drove mine cross country, but my trans was overloaded so i took out a trans and driveshaft CV. if you do, be sure you make sure it's greased good.

a friend of mine drove his from so cal to alaska and back towing a pop up camper.

broncow72

Village Idiot
Loc.
Spring,TX.
You only get a few chances to do something like this in life. Grab your truck and drive it back. Your back up is pretty easy. Plan on, at one point, needing a U-haul truck and trailer. Price them from various locations on your route. Locate all rental places on your route. Have money for tow truck and cheap motel. Bring your pistol if you have one, I've seen scary movies about the Apalachia area.

Almost forgot. Tell us when you are making this trip and give an idea of the route. There will be many on here that will be willing to lend a hand if you need it. Others may just want to meet up for dinner and talk bronco. Many will also be able to tell you which BBQ places are worth stopping at and which to avoid.

oldskool

Loc.
Denver
Yes just do it. I did it when I bought mine and it was a pile of junk. The only problem I had was running out of Gas. Fuel gauge did work. But yes do it, it's a blast.
This one looks to be in really good shape, just make sure everything works good before you leave. Plan for the worst, expect the best. I think that is the saying. You cannot predict the future or when your truck is going to brake. Just go out and have fun and if it its brakes down take a ton of pictures because one day you will look back and have a great laugh. Good luck, let us know what you do.

Welcome to the wonderful world of Bronco mania.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
Thanks for all the replies. Thats a real motivator. The reason why I am so tempted to drive it home is that a lot if not most of the bronco is newer. From what I gather its an almost flawless truck.

Here are the stats:

New 302 mated to a rebuilt C4
world heads, aluminum intake, edelbrock carb, new headers, 2,5" exhause and turbo mufflers.
Power steering
New disc brakes (GM conversion i believe) new rotors, bearings, seals calipers, new pb booster and master cylinder.

Rewired with Centek kit, all gauges are working.

The tub has no rust and been completely rhino-lined.

3.5" suspension & 2" body lift. She sits on 35x12.5x15 BFG mud terrains and pro comp 15x10 rims

Dana 44 up front and Ford 9" in the back.

All the stats are from the previous owner. She starts right up and has not caused problems since the rebuild.

siderbox

Bronco Guru
At first I was thinking "NO WAY" I would drive a new to me 40 year old vehicle a 1000 plus miles. But after reading the other posters, I've changed my mind.
I think broncow72 and oldskool along with others have great points.

Letting everyone on here know what route you'll take will pay off if something does end up happening. There are quite a few folks on here that will go out of there way to help another Bronco blood brother, as ol sweaty Teddy says. That and I know I'd be up to have some BBQ with ya ;D

Welcome to the Bronco fun.
Ohya that ride you have there is a great looking one. They even put the fender flairs in the right spot.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I've done many 1000 mile plus trips in my Bronco. About half while towing a loaded trailer. Never had a breakdown or issue I couldn't fix on the spot. Bring some tools just in case. Check fluids at gas stops. Don't try to keep up with the traffic going 80 mph. Take your time and use some of the backroads to see the country.

68rockcrawler

Bronco Guru
Do it! I would do it in a second if I had bought that Bronco 1,200 miles away from where I live. Sounds like a really nice Bronco. Definately bring some tools just in case but I'll bet you won't have any problems.

70_Steve

Old Guy
If you are able to do basic repairs (busted hoses, u-joints, etc) and don't have a fixed schedule, then I'd say go for it. A AAA membership might come in handy. Also take a laptop so you can dial in here if you need help. There's probably a member within about 25 miles of where ever you'll be!!!

Welcome and congrats on the Bronco. She's a beauty!

70EB

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Gig Harbor
My answer would be based on your experience level with older vehicles. If you are comfortable with minor road repairs that may pop up, then I say go for it and make it part of the adventure of owning the Bronco. I drove mine from Salt Lake City to Fayetteville, NC. Burned a quart of oil every stop for gas, but I would not have passed up the opportunity.

I would recommend that if there is a local garage that you can quickly bring it by once you pick it up to give it a once over, then that might help your piece of mind. Look at steering components (bolts tight, nothing missing or loose), brakes, and maybe a tune up, if needed.

Nightstick

Bronco guy
I've done many 1000 mile plus trips in my Bronco. About half while towing a loaded trailer. Never had a breakdown or issue I couldn't fix on the spot. Bring some tools just in case. Check fluids at gas stops. Don't try to keep up with the traffic going 80 mph. Take your time and use some of the backroads to see the country.

You don't count Viperwolf, you could fix anything with a paperclip and roll of duct tape :)

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
This is the route Im planning. Please feel free to make suggestions. I would be happy to meet other bronco owners. I love me some good BBQ & Beer ;D

Screen%20shot%202010-08-06%20at%207.02.52%20PM.png

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
I say go for it. Give yourself a few extra days. Plan the trip so that you are never more than 100 miles from a medium to large size city. Get AAA with the 100 mile free towing option. And go for it!

Don't get too confident though - a long trip will find the weak points. If you can wrench a bit, the good thing about early Broncos is that they are relatively easy to trouble shoot and work on, as Viper noted. Also - read the thread on "Is it OK to hate your PO". If they describe it as a 'flawless truck" be at least a little leary!

Good luck and keep us posted on your timing and route. Lots of CB folks along the route from Arkansas to NYC and most would be willing to assist you if you have trouble.

OP
OP
NY-Bronco

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
I dont have a fixed schedule. I am comfortable fixing minor things. Ill be on a laptop thats connected at all times.

Any suggestions on tools that I should bring along as I do have to drag them on a flight.

Im quite good with a paperclip and duct tape.