• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Lizard Skin: step 1 (pics)

backpain

Bronco Guru
So, Sound Control went on today. 2 coats, approx 40 mils total.

Tomorrow - Ceramic (heat insulation) @ 2 coats, 40mils.

After I finally settle on a color, bedliner will probably be last, but at about half thickness (which at 60 mils or less should be plenty tough for my application), so the total of all of these is not much more than standard Line-X .125" (and the bedliner wont have to go up inside the cowl, and the Lizard skin won't go in the door jambs, etc. so it won't be so thick in all areas).

Then Lizard skin inside the top.

We'll see . . . . .

Someday I'll take enough pictures for a build thread or at least a near-finished project.

Oh, and then my obligatory most recent hair band concert picture from a couple weeks ago. . . .

Attachments

• 0824101621-1.jpg
    0824101621-1.jpg
    92 KB · Views: 597
  • IMG00045-20100806-2054.jpg
    IMG00045-20100806-2054.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 272

Sbolt19

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Colorado Springs
You better check your plans and talk to the folks at Lizard Skin. I was going to do that in my sister's heep.... LS, a coat of bed liner & more LS on top. They said that the petroleum based bedliners (Rhino, Line-X, Herculiner, Raptor, etc.) would eat their product and that they wouldn't warrant anything that had the two touching. Just an FYI for ya.

OP
OP
B

backpain

Bronco Guru
Yeah, I have talked to them (and read tons of posts here) a few times in past year or so. I agree it's not a sure thing. But, some type of coating is going on top. We're shooting a few Lizard Skin test panels to try a few things out.

They (Lizard Skin) now, as opposed to 2 yrs ago when talking to one of the engineers, say that certain bedliner materials are not necessarily a problem. They happen to be 10 mins from my work, so I have visited the shop and chatted with them for awhile. Regardless, I'm a guinea pig.

Local Line-X ( . . of Texas) wants me to drop by a test panel with Lizard Skin on it just to find out for them selves. I may try 1 or more do-it-yourself liner materials also.

72_EB

Contributor
66to77
Good stuff. Keep the pics and info coming. I'm curious how much your using. I'm hoping I only need 1 gallon for good firewall and floor coverage on one I'm doing now, but haven't used their product before.

robofig

So, Sound Control went on today. 2 coats, approx 40 mils total.

Tomorrow - Ceramic (heat insulation) @ 2 coats, 40mils.

After I finally settle on a color, bedliner will probably be last, but at about half thickness (which at 60 mils or less should be plenty tough for my application), so the total of all of these is not much more than standard Line-X .125" (and the bedliner wont have to go up inside the cowl, and the Lizard skin won't go in the door jambs, etc. so it won't be so thick in all areas).

Then Lizard skin inside the top.

We'll see . . . . .

Someday I'll take enough pictures for a build thread or at least a near-finished project.

Oh, and then my obligatory most recent hair band concert picture from a couple weeks ago. . . .

Screw this lizard skin, bed liner crap. F-N Queensryche!!! right on!!

casadejohnson

Bronco Alchemist
Home depot and the local hobby shop. Mix up some latex and ceramic microbubbles and you are good to go at much less the price.

I've done a little reading on this myself. How well did it work for you? If I wanted to do this, where can I get the microbubbles? I'm assuming that " the local hobby shop" is the source. Where did you get yours?

OP
OP
B

backpain

Bronco Guru
. . . If I wanted to do this, where can I get the microbubbles? I'm assuming that " the local hobby shop" is the source. Where did you get yours?

Read about it here http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html and then do some Google searches for other forum discussions. This is where my research started 3+ years ago. Biggest issue is determining the carrier material for your application. Latex paint isn't going to work for everyone.

Sound Control is something else. Much more dense, largely targeted at mass loading the substrate (i.e. same thing achieved with Dynamat and all of its comparables [auto, roofing and other applications of original design], bitumen-based [the secret sauce in asphault {sort of like the 'cement' in 'concrete'}] and other materials)

. . . .and then if you want to catch up even more, research Mascoat. Lizard Skin Ceramic is simply how they are marketing what they've adapted from products they designed for chem/petrochem manufacturing facilities and apparently marine (engine rooms and exhaust plumbing, I could speculate) and other apps for many years prior to 'stumbling' onto what aircraft manuf and hobbyists already knew (half the 'new' stuff we all see in the world. . . or don't see...or is never successfully marketed . . . followed a similar derivative/spin-off path). I used to do some work for a couple industrial supply co's that distributed the stuff to chem manuf industry. It's a little more than "latex paint" (but again, a latex paint, epoxy primer or other base with hobby shop ceramic spheres, may work for you - feel free to take all that to another thread)

. . . .but I digress. Back to the project . . . . . (more pics end of today) . . .and until then a random "before" pic. . .

Attachments

• IMG00028-20100716-1614.jpg
    IMG00028-20100716-1614.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 351
Last edited:
OP
OP
B

backpain

Bronco Guru
Screw this lizard skin, bed liner crap. F-N Queensryche!!! right on!!

Upon hearing J.C.W. just now, I am forced to recall my blunder from that concert night. Apparently, had a drink with and talked to the bassist for 15mins in the lounge after the concert . . . didn't know who he was.

Lot's of beverages that night.

I'm sure he liked it better that way rather than me talking about music all night.

OP
OP
B

backpain

Bronco Guru
I should have just kept building on, but too late now.

link to next thread http://classicbroncos.com/forums/showthread.php?t=168603

Here's what I started with - after I disassembled what seemed to be a great driver (in fact, it drove well, had a nice motor, very nicely tuned suspension, no shake, no pulling. . . .but what was under the carpet and bondo was . . . . .driving me crazy

Attachments

• 100_0342.jpg
    100_0342.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 47
  • 100_0343.jpg
    100_0343.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 45
  • 100_0337.jpg
    100_0337.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 44
  • 100_0323.jpg
    100_0323.jpg