• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Leaf spring direction

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
I am just checking to make sure that I installed my leaf springs in the correct direction. the first pic is toward the rear and the second is toward the front of the bronco.. The front has the little drop in it. The rear is pretty much straight before it wraps around..

Attachments

• IMG_0412.jpg
    IMG_0412.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 343
  • IMG_0411.jpg
    IMG_0411.jpg
    87.2 KB · Views: 331

nosaj2k

Loc.
Green River, WY
I could be wrong, but judging from the pics it looks like they are installed backwards :(. The larger double wrapped end should mount toward the front of the Bronco.

SDlivin

Loc.
San Diego
X2, hard to tell in the pics... but as previously stated, the double wrap eyes go toward the front.

jpopsbronco

Loc.
Irvine, CA
Yeah its hard to tell in the pic which side is double wrapped around the eye
Is it me or is his shackle a little far forward? Arent they supposed to be around 12 oclock?

garberz

Bronco Influencer
Loc.
Conejo Valley, Ca.
Yeah its hard to tell in the pic which side is double wrapped around the eye
Is it me or is his shackle a little far forward? Arent they supposed to be around 12 oclock?

I would assume all the weight is off the leafs, and the axle is pulling on the shackles.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I disagree. Although I don't know what performance difference it makes, with a single-wrap spring setup (stock type) like it looks like you have, where the main leaf has one end that starts it's curve at the bottom of the eye (first pic) and another end that starts it's curve towards the middle of the eye (as in the second pic), the orientation is correct.

Only on the double-wrap springs does it reverse. The double-wrap always trumps the mid-eye, and by design MUST mount to the frame hanger (front mount) no matter what style of spring eye is used at the opposite end. Not sure why, but all the vendors double-wrap springs that I've seen utilize that type of eye at the opposite end from the double wrap. So in those cases it ends up reversed from what Ford did originally.

So yours is just like Ford did it.

Paul

airbur

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Castle Pines, CO
I agree with DirtDonk. Do we know if these are aftermarket springs? I can't see the military wrap on either end. So to me, it looks like they are in right.

70_Steve

Old Guy
So yours is just like Ford did it.
This help? From JBG...
sprdiarearspring.jpg

OP
OP
Kyle.malone

Kyle.malone

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Norman, OK
These are from their 3 1/2" kit (Bronco Graveyard). Their is no weight in the rear currently as the gas tank and body are still not on.

DirtDonk

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Pretty sure it ended because he has them in correctly. It's correct "for his springs".
We saw no double-eye, so there was no need to change.

What springs do you have? And what is your problem? Bottom line is that, if you have a double-wrap (aka Military double-wrap) eye at either end, that always goes directly to the spring hanger in the front. The shackle end would get the single wrap, no matter what other characteristics that eye has.

The image 70_Steve put up shows the correct orientation of a stock spring. And even though you have to look closely, you can see the slight variation in the two eyes, and which direction the shackles are supposed to face.

That help?

Paul

Sac '68 sport

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Orangevale
Mine are older Duff stock height 5 pack. They don't seem to have a double wrap and they are put in just like the ones in the pic so I think I'm good. It just seems to be a little higher than before I took them off, but it could just be the lack of flares that's throwing me off.