• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

powder coating

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
I had some powder coating done awhile back and tryed to get a color close to wimbledon white but it did not turn out to close. Does any one know some code or name that i could tell my powder coating guy? He says that powder coating does not go by the same names as paint. Also is bumpers and early wheels wimbledon white or something different it looks like the bumper are a brighter white. Thanks Brian

13below0

Loc.
Erie PA
White is going to be hard to match. Check on columbia coatings website. If you cant find it there they probably dont make it. Hope this helps.

StnePny

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Santa Monica, Ca.
Paint & Powder Coat names and numbers, I made many. many trips between the paint shop & the Powder Coater trying to get stuff to match and NOTHING is the same. I even got the Paint Supplier to give me his book and took it the the Powder Coater to match color samples.

It can be done but it will not be easy

example; 2006 Ford GT is Titanuim Grey (Paint) = Victory Gray (Powder Coat) this is about 90% - 95% match

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Hey Ford Man,
Just paint them and they will be more authentic.....and the scratches on the rim from mounting the tires and weights will make it look like ORIGINAL PAINT!

OP
OP
ford man

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
powder coat

Hey fordfan i guess i could rattel can it that would fit right in with some of my stuff. "Authentic" what da you say? I may have to paint them can i get epoxy ?

soms007

i just had my rims powder coated i will check tomorrow with the ppg powder number for wimbleton white.
just found it its pct87210q.

hope this helps.

Attachments

• DSC00124.jpg
    DSC00124.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 84
  • DSC00157.jpg
    DSC00157.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC00184.jpg
    DSC00184.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 72

Baja71

Bronco Guru
The simple reason paint and powdercoats don't have corresponding matches, is that mixing powder and liquid paint is very different. It is much easier to tint, shade, hue liquid paint than it is to do the same to powder. With powder, you don't see the result until it is melted and baked on, while with paint you see it instantaneously in the can. No one is going to do it. Way too much trial and error. While that said, there are a few powders out there that are close enough to be labeled as a paint code, but these will only be very common, basic colors. Wimbledon White could possibly be one of them. If not, find your best match via swatch and cross your fingers, or just paint them.

Baja71

Bronco Guru
i just had my rims powder coated i will check tomorrow with the ppg powder number for wimbleton white.
just found it its pct87210q.

hope this helps.

Hey soms, those wheels look pretty good. I love the look of plain white Ford wheels without caps. Nice rig.

Greg_B

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Cohutta, GA
I went through this same thing and I have a powder coat system in my plant. I checked with 4 or 5 vendors and none could give me an exact match to Wimbelton white.

However... after sending them a part from my Bronco they told me the closest stock color that any powdercoater should be able to get is RAL 9010. That is a color standard kind that should be the same for all vendors.

About a week ago I powder coated my custom rear bumper / tire rack with it. It turned out a lot brighter than I expected. Compared to the hard top is is pretty close though. Compared to my soft top it is much brighter. I have not mounted it yet. When I do I will post some photos so you can see the difference.

My rig is going to look goofy for a while. The front bumper is grey and now th rear is white... LOL... I wanted to see which one I liked best then paint the other to match.

Greg

OP
OP
ford man

ford man

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Leesburg Ga
Hey thanks for replys heres a pic of my wheels that i had done if you look at the top you can tell the differants.I think that my wheels are about the same as somsoo7 or pretty close. I was hoping to get a little closer to the same. I might just have to go with paint i just like powder better, more durable.I am ok with it (the wheels) but im working on another project and i wont it to look the same as the top.

Attachments

• DSC01812.jpg
    DSC01812.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 57

fordfan

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Ford Man,
That ole '72 looks good. Is that rangoon red a powder? Who did you get to powder coat a tub? He must have a large oven!!! It sure looks good....I know that it can't be ORIGINAL PAINT!!!!! I can tell those wheels are a little bit brighter than the top, but a weekend at Morris Mtn. will make them match.