• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

My Engine caught fire... Spring-lock-connector FTL - MORE PICTURES

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Well... the title says it all...

Partner in crime that's been helping with the build was putting some "shake out" miles on the truck, and doing some adjusting (prop valve, etc). We were at a point where w just ordered the "finishing touches" (ie. front sway bar and a steering stabalizer)...

Filled the tank up yesterday, and he was driving and the engine started sputtering. He pulled it over, only to notice flames coming out of the engine bay. Jumped out and opened the hood to find a fire. FML. Anyway, the extinguisher was handy, so the fire got put out pretty quickly but not before the air cleaner, a few sensors, the plug wires, and not sure what else melted... the truck's going back to his place (from the tow yard) today... and I'll know more.

All that to say... apparently the root cause was the spring lock connector coming loose from the Fuel Rail. Apparently ours didn't have any kind of locking clip/threaded piece on it, although some pictures I see show that there is one. Of course, the side that we actually had a clamp on, was fine.

What is the best Spring Lock Connector? Where can I find one...? and I NEED IT TO LOCK.

So frustrating... gonna cost me another $1500 (on top of the mtn of cash already "invested") to get it back to where it was just 24 hrs ago... oh did i mention, that the paint on the hood bubbled... UGH...

Thanks for the input though...

Attachments

• 127.jpg
    127.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 134.jpg
    134.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 37
  • 133.jpg
    133.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 132.jpg
    132.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 43
  • 131.jpg
    131.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 44
  • 130.jpg
    130.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 44
  • 129.jpg
    129.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 48
  • 128.jpg
    128.jpg
    23.8 KB · Views: 49
  • 136.jpg
    136.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 34
  • 137.jpg
    137.jpg
    57.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 135.jpg
    135.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 32
  • 138.jpg
    138.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Hank_

Bronco Guru
Dont know about where to get the spring lock but very sorry about the fire. I know how much money my bronco is sucking up and if I had to reinvest in stuff I already had that would suck. Will insurance cover this for you?

Henry

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Well, if I got it done at a shop, it would probably cost a bunch to fix the wiring/paint, etc... but it's probably a couple weekends for me and a my friend, so really not worth doing it through insurance and dealing with any premium hikes, especially since the deductible is about $500...

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
I think that's where we ordered the one we have now... but ours doesn't have any threading or nut or clip that really locks to the fuel rail... is there supposed to be one?

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
It doesn't look too bad. Some cleanup, wires, hoses, paint, maybe a couple sensors.

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
You're right Viper... just disappointed because we were so close. Frankly, if I was gonna spend another $1500 on her, I'd rather it be for something like installing my radio/sub or maybe a dyno tuning... it's just frustrating that a $5 part failure is gonna cause this. You'll just have to let me pout for a day or 2...

admin

Administrator
Just your friendly, neighborhood webmaster...
Loc.
Phoenix, AZ
Can't help with the spring lock question, but man I feel for you. Really sorry to hear about the fire.

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
I think that what I'm missing is the piece that is a dull silver color on the left side of this picture (from BC's site). We definitely don't have that piece... (as compared to the piece that we bought previously). I'm really looking for something that will secure to the fuel rail so we won't have this problem this again...

Attachments

• spring-locks-installed_sb2.jpg
    spring-locks-installed_sb2.jpg
    26.9 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC01648.JPG
    DSC01648.JPG
    10.6 KB · Views: 50

Ratch

Contributor
I know that the factory spring lock connectors have a safety clip that was teathered to the fuel line connectors to prevent such an event. it clips to the female side and has 2 fingers that go over the male side. Easy to find in a junk yard and highly recomended.

nhopman

hate to see this, but it could have been worse, good thing you had the extinguisher handy.

I have the Russell spring lock connectors and they have pulled off the pressure side twice. Fortunately no fire was started either time. The factory lock does not fit on the aftermarket connectors. I have mine ghetto rigged with zip ties. It's not the best looking solution, but I haven't had any more problems.

Nick

phred

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
Earth
Man, so close. I really cant wait to see this thing in person. Hate the bad luck. Keep working on and it bring it back to town.
Sorry to see the damage!

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
I know that the factory spring lock connectors have a safety clip that was teathered to the fuel line connectors to prevent such an event. it clips to the female side and has 2 fingers that go over the male side. Easy to find in a junk yard and highly recomended.

X2. Wrecking yard is full of clips.

knack

Contributor
Man, that's got to be a sickening feeling. Glad you didn't lose more and nobody got hurt.

OP
OP
jesus888

jesus888

Loc.
Atlanta, GA
Is the clip the answer? or should I look into changing to AN-type stuff? Clearly, I would prefer the clip, cost wise, but I really don't want this to ever happen again. Honestly, if it was me driving I probably woulda just stepped back and been like... daaaaaaaaaaammmmmmmmmnnnnnnnnn (for fear of being burned/blown up).... luckily my friend had the presence of mind to hop out and spray that extinguisher on it...

Is there anywhere specific that I can order the clip? Does anyone have one laying around :) ?

73stallion

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Eugene, OR
i just called the ford dealer and they're still available for about $7 a piece. E7AZ-9A317-BA is the part number for the 12.5mm, E7AZ-9A317-AA for the 9mm ones at $8 each.

Viperwolf1

Contributor
electron whisperer
Is the clip the answer? or should I look into changing to AN-type stuff?

I have the AN adapters and still use the clips. Those spring lock connectors are somewhat tricky. You have to really pull on them to make sure they're installed. They can be installed but not quite enough for the spring to engage fully.

fordguy

Contributor
Bronco Guru
hey viper you got a pic of those clips installed with the an adapters