• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Operation Bronc-n-Build

Bronc-n-Bird

It's good to have her running again!

Finally ready to get some work done on my 67.

Picked her up '06 when I was living in SoCal. Was my daily driver for 2 years until I moved to TX. 289, 3 speed manual, D20, 33s.

Bronc Side.jpg

Bronc Front.jpg

Bronco Back.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Original Dana 30 drums and 9 inch both bent, leak fluid and brakes are shot.
Bronc 9 Rear Old.jpg

Bronc 30 Front.jpg
Note the busted steering stabilizer mount.

Wanted to go to stronger axles, better gear ratios, disc brakes, power brakes, etc.

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Ran across a high pinion 9inch last year. Trussed, detroit locker, 4.88s and Lincoln Versaille discs. Picked it up from John M in San Antonio and started the search for a 4.88 dana 44.

Attachments

• Bronc 9 Rear.jpg
    Bronc 9 Rear.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 190
OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

A bit of a wait....ran across a posting that Gordon Bailie was selling his whole front axle setup. High Pinion Dana 44 with 4.88s and Detroit Locker. BC Broncos Wristed Axle Housing, Ram Assist Steering, Ported Bronco Steering Box and extend BC Broncos Radius arms. Heim over the knuckle steering and 5 and 1/2 inch coils. This is going to be a killer setup for my rig.

Gordon was rolling through Dallas on his way home from LEBC and met him to pick up the axle. Got to meet Suzy Duff as well. Pretty awesome!

Attachments

• Bronc 44 Front.jpg
    Bronc 44 Front.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 178

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
LOL, well I am the PO of that Bronco from 93-98, sold it to a skydive instructor in Taft CA in 98. Man, been looking for this Bronco for the past 4 years and its been here the whole time. Very interested to see your build up on it. Sad its not for sale but hope to keep in touch with it/you over the next few years.

Attachments

• scan0037.jpg
    scan0037.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 235
OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Time to get to work. Getting additional parts that is. Ordered some 5 and 1/2 11 pack leafs for the back, bushings, rear shock mounts and spring perches. Need to convert 9 inch from a 4 link back to regular configuration. Parts should rolling in over the next week or 2.

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

LOL, well I am the PO of that Bronco from 93-98, sold it to a skydive instructor in Taft CA in 98. Man, been looking for this Bronco for the past 4 years and its been here the whole time. Very interested to see your build up on it. Sad its not for sale but hope to keep in touch with it/you over the next few years.
Small world. Looks like it went through a couple of owners before I picked it up in '06. Paint looks great in your picture. I had been wanting to get a Bronco since the early 80s and the time and money were right for this one. Drove it all over SoCal - even up to Big Bear and blew out a front tire on the 10 one time. Looking forward to get her built up.

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
First wheeling trip I took it was Big Bear, blew the rear 9" (teeth off ring and pinion) and a head gasket on the way back home to Bak's, had a blast! I had it here in Bakersfield and Tehachapi. I found it in a back yard untouched for about 6 years in Bakersfield, paint held up decent over the past 20 years. Have lots of great memories in it.

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

That's funny you had it up in Big Bear as well. It's been a great truck so far and a lot of fun. Can't believe that you spotted it right after I posted the picture.

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Was having trouble starting from time to time. Upgraded to 3G alternator, heavy duty Waytech wires, Optima and direct headlight harness. Used top terminals for charging/starting components and side terminals for the rest. What a difference.

Attachments

• Electrical Upgrades.jpg
    Electrical Upgrades.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 87
OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Dana 30 out - Dana 44 getting prepped with POR 15

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306002526.681043.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1306002526.681043.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 114
OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Tito,

You sell it to James Mire? The PO gave me a folder of receipts from the guy he bought it from - James Mire from Glendora dating back to the late 90s.

Mike

Tito

CB Fire Starter
Loc.
Bakersfield, CA
Don't remember the name, GraficO had found some information from me at one point. The guy I sold it to was like 6'10" and was a sky dive instructor in Taft Ca. I think he ended up getting into real estate. It's funny cause I made the guy get in it to see if he could fit!

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Makin Progress

Have the new springs in and front and rear axle mocked up. Height came up almost 6 inches at first. With new Wild Horses 11 pack springs in was initially 5 inches over original lift with shackle pretty much horizontal.

Attachments

• New Lift In.jpg
    New Lift In.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 83
OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Settled out by the next morning at approximately 2 and 1/4 over original lift which is about right. Shackle moved down to vertical. I was a bit nervous for a little while - whew....Rear axle with a few tack welds to try and line up pinion angles. Seemed to have moved forward about 1.5 inches. Going to drill out the heavy duty spring plate and try to shift axle back about the 1.5 inches.

Attachments

• Bronco Rear 2 in.jpg
    Bronco Rear 2 in.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Bronco Rear 1 in.jpg
    Bronco Rear 1 in.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 68
OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Front Axle in...

Front Axle in - Springs bowing out a bit. Trying to line up with best castor and pinion angles. Working the BC Broncos adjustable radius arms to line everything up. Thanks to BroncoBosher for the Caster tip and shout out to Dirtdonk for the questions and good advice!. Things are lining up now - caster angle coming together along with eliminating the spring bow. Heim Steering will be over knuckle. Close Ratio steering gear out and putting in an original bronco gear box in with BC Bronco frame reinforcement kit.

Attachments

• Bronco Front in.jpg
    Bronco Front in.jpg
    137.6 KB · Views: 106
OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

There have been a lot of posts on the infamous "Bronco Lean" recently. As such, keeping an eye on the ride height at each corner. Waiting to do final welds and tighten all bolts after everything is all lined up. Even with all of that....sounds like some "lean" is inevitable.

OP
OP
Bronc-n-Bird

Bronc-n-Bird

Two steps forward, one step back.

Front end is in and everything appears to be working. With the extended radius arms it ended up about 1 inch further forward than stock. Had to relocate the radius arm mounts Considering adding a 2nd shock as it is fairly soft (had 2 shocks on old setup).

Had to shorten the rear driveshaft and moved the whole 9 inch back one inch by drilling out some heavy duty axle perches. Takes off like it's going to pull a wheelie with those 4.88s!

Having some challenges with the rear axle. Locker is completely locked and won't unlock. Drives great if I am only going straight Had my axle guy take it apart. First the good news, nothing is broken and gears, axles all look good. Bad news, several pieces were taken out at some point to make it always stayed locked. Some more research revealed it is 30+ year old locker and those particular parts are not easy to find. Searching them out, worst case going to get a new locker.

Hydroboost from Chuck is back ordered, so waiting on finishing out the brakes until it arrives.