• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Dash Layout. Suggestions...?

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I have been trying to come up with a nice, clean dash layout. It's a lot harder than I originally thought. Here is what I have come up with. I have a 3 rocker and a 7 rocker switch panel that I am trying to fit in. Nothing is set in stone. Looking for advice, suggestions, options, etc...Sorry for the picture quality. Thanks.

Attachments

• IMG_1202.jpg
    IMG_1202.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 232
  • IMG_1204.jpg
    IMG_1204.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 214
OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Pictures were worse than I thought. Here is how the gauges are laid out now.

Attachments

• IMG_1205.jpg
    IMG_1205.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_1206.jpg
    IMG_1206.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 95

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I would double check the depths of these gauges that you plan to mount up higher on the dash that they don't interfere with defrost ducts and the like. Also, I would tape some round paper discs on the existing dash in your preferred locations to see if there are conflicts with seeing the gauges around your hands, steering wheel, etc. Not that you can't adjust to see the gauges, but for commonly used ones, I think it is nice to be able to quickly glance down and check them.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I've already bought the gauges and rocker panels. I have to incorporate those into my design/layout.

Last edited:

.94 OR

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Any chance you are going to have a console for a stereo that you could mount some of the more commonly used switches into? That way, once you get the feel for them, you can find them in the dark without having to either look to find it while driving, or lean too far from the driving position to reach them.

We are harped on at work about the ergonomic driving position. I have 3 radios in my truck, hands free cell phone and all redundant controls on the steering wheel. I can turn on or adjust any of those things without moving from the driving position or taking my eyes off the road. When pulling some high mile days, it is nice to just watch the road. Granted, I don't do that kind of driving in my EB, but the wheelbase is about half and responds a lot faster to changes in front of me.

Amac70

ME
your lay out looks very similar to what i did. With the angled gauge cups i just barely had room for heater defrost ducts.

Attachments

• pa 5.jpg
    pa 5.jpg
    80.7 KB · Views: 250

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
The first time I did my dash, I went with what looks good. Then after driving it, I realized it all kinda sucks. Im 6'5" and the stock locaton for the gauges sucks for me. It might as well not be there. When youre flying on the highway or anywhere else you dont really want to take your eyes off the road and having a row of switches might cause you to do just that. All it takes is a few seconds.
ARB switches should be grouped separately so you dont accidentally activate it.

The best suggestion I can give is to sit in the rig and see what you can see through the steering wheel etc. Also see how easily and how far your hand can stretch to activate the switches.

An important one to remember is whats behind the dash. Not everything can go where you want it.

Take your time on this step.

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks Herman. That definitely makes good sense. This is really hard because I know once its done,...its done.

Cobra11

Contributor
Loc.
West Hollywood, CA
i like the lay out but the ignition seems a little to far imo

i kind of agree on the ignition spot. ever think of something different and putting it on the left of steering wheel? just a though cause it looks like there's some space the way you have it layed out. looks good though

OP
OP
kholding

kholding

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Las Vegas, NV
I don't like the ignition there either. At first I thought it would be alright, but now I think that spot will be a 12v outlet.

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Good ideas. Didn't even think about the gauge depth at the top of the dashboard.

Neither did I until I tried to mount my guage setup! %) :eek: I was a little bummed when I figurred out that the defrost duct was an issue. Don't let the Defrost Duct scare you though because that is fixable where it will not be an issue. At least it wasn't for me with the Autometers that I chose! ;D

Looks like you have a good plan. Just go for it!

Here are some pics of how I laid things out in my truck and what is possible with the defrost duct. Like I said, once modified, it is really not an issue!

Attachments

• Bronco Build Pics 2011 017.jpg
    Bronco Build Pics 2011 017.jpg
    108.9 KB · Views: 289
  • Bronco Build Pics 2011 004.jpg
    Bronco Build Pics 2011 004.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 194
  • Bronco Build Pics 2011 003.jpg
    Bronco Build Pics 2011 003.jpg
    212 KB · Views: 189
  • Bronco Build Pics 2011 001.jpg
    Bronco Build Pics 2011 001.jpg
    211.8 KB · Views: 181
Last edited:

backpain

Bronco Guru
The first time I did my dash, I went with what looks good. Then after driving it, I realized it all kinda sucks. Im 6'5" and the stock locaton for the gauges sucks for me. It might as well not be there. When youre flying on the highway or anywhere else you dont really want to take your eyes off the road and having a row of switches might cause you to do just that. All it takes is a few seconds.
ARB switches should be grouped separately so you dont accidentally activate it.

The best suggestion I can give is to sit in the rig and see what you can see through the steering wheel etc. Also see how easily and how far your hand can stretch to activate the switches.

An important one to remember is whats behind the dash. Not everything can go where you want it.

Take your time on this step.

X2, and for me that means some iteration of this or similar. Still being refined, but . . . .

Attachments

• 100_2536.jpg
    100_2536.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 186

Bundy

Bronco Guru
You guys have defrosters?!! :D

I didn't have anything back there... no heater or anything to mess with so mine was easy in comparison I guess.

If you are using a "new" uncut dash make sure you install that monster before you paint or cut anything. They are not all built equally and I had to cut into my powdercoating to get the brackets right :(

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Here are some pics of how I laid things out in my truck and what is possible with the defrost duct. Like I said, once modified, it is really not an issue!

Broncoitis - I've got to say that is one of the nicest and cleanest dash set ups I've seen. Nice job! ;D

broncoitis

Bronco Guru
Broncoitis - I've got to say that is one of the nicest and cleanest dash set ups I've seen. Nice job! ;D

Thanks Guys! That has had a few revisions due to oversights! %)

It is actually not finished yet. Trying to make it look like it could have come with the truck in terms of the angles and all. Eventually, it will have a tunnel cover with an armrest and a center console for some more storage along the lines of a Tuffy!

However, just trying to get it on the road right now so that is gonna have to wait. ;D

NY-Bronco

Resident Dipstick
Loc.
Weehawken, NJ
You should see the thing in person. Pics just never do it justice. Very well thought out dash. I cant wait to see his rig finished.