• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

351 head casting# C9OE G

AWS

Loc.
ST LOUIS
Anyone have any info on this head, I can't seem to find anything.
Steve

broncnaz

Bronco Guru
G the is a revision code it has nothing to do with what car it was in. O is for fairlane/torino and E is for engine. Had the head been on a montego the code would read C9GE
Basically 1969 351W heads that probably came on a torino.

Other info 1.84/1.54 valves 58 cc chambers and a down side of non hardened exhuast valve seats. back in the day they were considered a good upgrade over 289/302 heads but today they are not really even considered for perfromance use.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I've got a set of these holding the floor down as well-

I've also got a set of 80's 351W heads that have the same large valves as the 69' heads, fully rebuilt and ready to drop on.

John Marinan

Contributor
Loc.
Durango CO.
G the is a revision code it has nothing to do with what car it was in. O is for fairlane/torino and E is for engine. Had the head been on a montego the code would read C9GE

Other info 1.84/1.54 valves 58 cc chambers and a down side of non hardened exhuast valve seats. back in the day they were considered a good upgrade over 289/302 heads but today they are not really even considered for perfromance use.

My mistake on the car, it's a 60.4 cc head in the Tom Monroe book

Quick & Dirty

The cast number is a design number. It also has nothing to do with what car it was installed in. The head was redesigned for the Torino, but was used on every 351W until the next redesign. They didn't cast a different head for every model.

I've also got a set of 80's 351W heads that have the same large valves as the 69' heads, fully rebuilt and ready to drop on.

The '78 heads will have 69cc chambers vs 60.4 on the '69 heads, which will change compression about one point on a 351.

Boss351

Loc.
Foxboro
69to76 used the same valve size with 60.4 chamber 77 went to a 69cc chamber and small valve I've got 5 sets of the old ones because they were the hot set up in the 80's now you've got all the aftermarket stuff from pro comp to tfs to afr after a valve job for 350 if everything is in good shape it doesn't make sense to go with a 40 year old head.By new thats what everybody told me to do 20 years ago when I started building sbf motors.

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
The '78 heads will have 69cc chambers vs 60.4 on the '69 heads, which will change compression about one point on a 351.

Thanks for the tip - those heads on a shorter deck 351 should be fairly close to the same compression numbers, but still more overall.