• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

74' Ranger Project

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Another one followed me home last night - ;D

I've got the hardcore 4x4 Bronco, now I want a cruiser. I've got some work ahead of me, my trail rig is still in pieces and I'm a fairly new home owner, so the work will be slow, but all the purists out there will rejoice, this will be going back to a LUBR!

I'll get some more pictures when the sun rises again - it's looking like I've got a home for a 5.0/NP435/NP205 now. I'd like to tuck some 34" LTB's under the fenders as well -

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Well - I didn't really get a chance to work on it today. I was grabbing a truckload of steel I had stashed at my folk's place when I got a call from a friend at the pick and pull. He had spotted a diesel ZF5 transmission I have been looking for - I ran up and helped the pull it. It's got a broken bell-housing, but I'm hoping it can be repaid. I paid $35 for it - I can't go wrong :)

Here are some day light shots -

It's got a custom sun roof and some interesting body work, but I can fix it - I've got every tool I could want at my disposal.

I looked up the VIN and found that this Bronco was assembled 30 minutes from where I live, the Twine Cities. It was originally some hideous yellow and came with a V-8 backed with a C4 transmission. It's the heavy GVW and should be sporting 3.54 gears with a limited slip in the rear.

Speaking of the 9" - I noticed this as well :cool:

The front passenger side tire is hopelessly locked up, I'm going to take a look at that tomorrow. I've got a pair of loaded from backing plates I can swap in if need be - I'm not afraid to swing a sledge hammer to get things free'd up. After I fix that I'm going to install the power steering box I got for it and toss a battery in it and see what I can all get working. After that I've got to park it as I'm still trying to wrap up my NP435 swap on my trail rig... It never ends-

I spoke to my buddy and he said he has a SROD transmission and a NP208 that I can use - I just need to find a bell-housing. That transmission paired to the 3.50 gears should be a perfect combo for a road warrior. Finding a bell might be harder then I thought- whatever, I've got options.

sprdv1

Contributor
REBEL
Funny how they just seem to follow you home right, lol ;)

Congrats!!

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Thanks guys - I got the hub off on the frozen wheel, but not after there was some damage.

I then installed the power steering box, hooked up the column and bolted everything together. The TRE was a little sketchy as the therads were not in the best shape, but I was able to clean them enough to get it to go together and get tight - I'll trust it to whatever speed I'll do in the Bronco.

After I got the steering fixed I moved on to the brakes - I got the front bleeders out ok and only got one of the rears - I didn't want to push my luck. I attempted to bleed the fronts only to find that the one rear bleeder was going to bleed, the fronts did nothing. I got the one wheel bled enough to where I somewhat trusted it and the moved the Bronco into the stable.

The hub was damaged in the process of dissassembly, is the D30 hub the same as a D44 hub?

For kicks I tossed a battery into it and started playing with the electrical. I have headlights, turn signals, brake lights, windshield wipers, blower motor and even the cigarette lighter works. It doesn't look like it's going to be a ton of work to get this in driving condition after the drive train swap is done.

I'm going to keep my eye out for a N2O setup :D

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Plans have changed - with the motor I had planned on putting in here finding it's way into my trail Bronco, that leaves me with one option... A 450HP 351W ;D - I should be picking it up in a few weeks - I've got a line on a NP435/205 combo to go behind it as well (nothing else will hold up to the power for the $150 I'll pay for them).

I am also picking up a half cab for it on Friday - things are looking up.

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
5.5" for 34's? That seems a bit overkill - I think it already has a 2.5 or 3.5" lift in it, I'll do a 2" body lift to help clear the drivetrain.

I have 5.5" of lift and 37's with a seriously flexy suspension, I don't think I'll have to touch the suspension even without a body lift... but a body lift will be required to get the GT-40 intake under the hood.

JefeAZ

Bronco Guru
Loc.
Tucson
If you're planning on making it a LUBR you will need that much lift. Heres 35s on 5.5" of lift

011-1.jpg

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Oh wow - that looks AMAZING!

I see what you mean now - I'm probably going to drive it around before I start the heavy body work, who knows. It just might stay cut if I decide I want to be able to do some light wheeling...

Got some goodies tonight :D

Now I just need a tailgate and I should be set for the major stuff...

Last edited:

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Swing over- The tailgate I have needs a lower patch panel, but it's a much better start than the one I sent you home with. Joe can grab that roll bar too. ;D

Attachments

• DSC01023.JPG
    DSC01023.JPG
    78.5 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01029.JPG
    DSC01029.JPG
    77.4 KB · Views: 14
  • DSC01065.JPG
    DSC01065.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 14
OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
I'll talk to Joe, but I need that tailgate, not sure how the roll bar is going to fit in the Contour though...

Mono

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I'll talk to Joe, but I need that tailgate, not sure how the roll bar is going to fit in the Contour though...

The "light bar" ;D comes apart into 3 pieces. It could fit.... maybe..

OP
OP
KyleQ

KyleQ

Bronco Guru
Well on Saturday I picked up the heart of this build -

351W F4TE Block
10.5:1 CR
Trick Flow Twisted Wedge 185 heads, decked to 63cc
COMP Cams 35-518-8 cam - 2,200-6,200 RPM
Milodon Oil Pan
GT-40 Intakes
AccuFab TB
Pro-M 80MM MAF
MSD Pro Billet Distro
MSD 6A Ignition
Mustang A9P ECU
42lb FRPP Injectors
Hooker fenderwell exit headers

This is basically a race motor - I'll be limited at 400HP with the current intakes I'm running, but I think that will be fine. This motor is fully capable of a 125 shot at the moment - but I don't think I'll need it for some time.

I'll need a few small things before I get to install this motor and I want to clean up a few things on the Bronco first. I'm debating about cutting off the motor mount horns and building my own plate and bushing motor mounts - either that or i'm going to used a johnny joint and two tabs for motor mounts. I'm going to solid mount everything regardless.

Last edited:

dave67fd

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Is that 9" "N" case original to the truck? Wonder if ford just had that case left over to get the truck out the door. Rare piece and worth quite a bit.