• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Kayline Soft Door Installation...Here we go!!

Sporto

Welp...I fabbed up the parts needed to install my Kayline Soft Doors. I am going to give it a shot and install them this weekend. I have the directions and lots of pictures of other installations thanks to my CB family on here. So now I have to just jump in and get them installed.

I already have the Kayline half doors installed, and from what I can tell these do not interfere with their hardware, so I am going to stay with the Kayline option all around.

Any last minute tips? I have read every thread that I can find on here about these doors (and the Bestops/Gaylens), so I have a pretty good idea what I am getting myself into. :eek:

I will post some pix as soon as I can. Maybe someone can benefit from my research and experience (hopefully good).

:cool:

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Rich, good luck with the install. I have the Galen doors so can't help you much!

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Rich, good luck with the install. I have the Galen doors so can't help you much!

Thanks Gary...It took me a long time to decide between that Bestop and Kayline doors. I got them from Lou, and they have the clear plastic windows on the lower half. I already have a set of half doors that I like so that was another reason that I did not want to go with the Bestop.

We'll see how it goes, I am just not too thrilled with all of the holes that I have to drill in my inserts to install these.

:mad:

We'll see, I intend to take my time on these and install them properly.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Hey good luck Sporto!!! I wrestled with mine again today, seems I can get 2 or 3 corners to fit but not all 4!!!!!%)%)%)

What kind do you have? Can you send some pix? I want to see what you did with the hardware. I assume since you were taking pix of Peroni's roadster that you were fabricating your own hardware. Please share!
Rich

NGABronco

Contributor
Bronco Guru
Loc.
N. GA now South Carolina
What kind do you have? Can you send some pix? I want to see what you did with the hardware. I assume since you were taking pix of Peroni's roadster that you were fabricating your own hardware. Please share!
Rich

Mine are Kayline (I think, I bought them used). There's like 3 measurenments: top of windshield to body (rear of door), top of WS to the top bracket, and at the bottom from rear of insert to the hole for bottom of door. Any misplacement of these. shifts the door??? I can get pics in the morning and the measurements too. if you need them??

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Yes,
Please do. If it is not too much trouble. I have all of the instructions printed out, but it would be great to have an actual "hands on" experience as a reference too.

Thanks

R

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Got them installed today. Not as bad as I thought it would be. I will follow up with some pix tomorrow.

R

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Okay...having had a few days to mess around with the doors and then drive it here are my thoughts and experiences for anyone thinking of installing a set of these.

1. The brackets that mount to the windshield (that I fabbed with some 3/8" pipe and flat bar) are critical to fitting the entire door. The directions say 4" from the top of the windshield frame. That is exactly right. This is 4" from the TOP of the vertical hinge piece, not the center of it. The mounting of this hinge dictates placement of the door from there on out. Everything keys off that one hinge, so make sure that it is placed and mounted properly.

2. The directions say that the distance between the windshield frame and the back of the insert needs to be 33.75 inches. This is also critical for proper fit, however that is not always an easy measurement to get to. I measured from the back of the insert to the weatherstripping channel. The directions were unclear on how where to measure from, so I chose the middle of the windshield frame as my point. I was about 3/4 of inch too short, so I loosened the bolts in the dash, let the frame swing free. Now the directions say to install washers as shims between the dash and the frame, and this should add some distance (assuming your measurement is too short) I however too a different route. I already had a set of the stainless windshield supports that I got from BCBroncos, and I simply adjusted these to give me the needed 3/4" of an inch on each side. I then tightened everything else back up, and began the install.

3. With the upper hinge mounted properly and the proper gap set between the frame and the insert, I put the first frame, minus the fabric, onto the truck. This is the hard part...drilling the hole for the hinge in the bottom of the insert. How I did this was, I got a feel for where the hole needed to be drilled, but placing the lower vertical pole up against the rocker with the upper pole already inserted into the hinge. I then lifted the back of the frame by the door hinge to kind of see where the latch would go. The latch utilizes the vertical door rod on my Supertop to hold the door shut. This gave me an approximate idea of where the lower hole needed to be drilled. So I marked the lower shaft's position on the outside of the rocker with a Sharpie, and then I placed the small 1" square steel plate center mass on the mark and moved it into position, about 1/8" from the outside of the rocker. I marked the center of the large hole with a Sharpie, this gave me a rough idea where to drill the necessary 9/16" hole for the lower shaft. Now here is the interesting part that I learned. A slight movement of this lower shaft (front to back) can greatly impact the fit of the upper corners of the door, so you want to give yourself some play here. Drill the 9/16" hole first, there will be some play in the door frame when you put it in and try to fit. It will swing from front to back, this is good. Now figure out where it is best fitting the rear corner and then mark it center mast with a Sharpie on the rocker. You can then use the steel plate that is provided to "lock" it into that prime spot. Since the plate has a smaller hole it will do keep it in the right spot. You should be able to swing the door freely at this point.

4. Bending the frame...Now the fun really begins, the frames that I got were used, and fit to another Bronco at one time so I had to refit them to my Bronco. The driver's door was not too bad, so it wrapped around the insert pretty well. The passenger door needed (and still needs) some finesse to get it to seal properly. The steel is soft and bendable by hand, so this process is not hard in the sense of actually bending the frame, but it takes a lot of bends here and there to get one section properly aligned, and that process may impact another part of the frame so there is a lot of back and forth when fitting the frame to the door.

5. Once the frame is fit properly, then you can put the fabric on. I did this in the late afternoon in November so I did not have a lot of flex in my material, but it did work out okay. However the front parts of the door were inches away from where the should have been. I kept double checking my measurements to make sure that I had them installed correctly, and I did. I had about three inches of open space between the lower half of the door and the front of the insert where the channel goes! Here is how I solved it...

Step 1. Prop the door open as far as you can to relieve stress on the material.
Step 2. Install the aluminum channel onto the fabric.
Step 3. Place the square rod into the fabric and then into the rain gutter on the windshield frame.
Step 4. Tap the rod and fabric into the gutter with something plastic as to not rip the material.
Step 5. Once it is in the gutter, use some self tapping screws to install two small 90 degree brackets to hold this into the gutter. This is critical. I picked these up at Lowes in the "Hobbies and Projects" bin in the fasteners aisle.
Step 6. Mark and drill the hole for the center snap on the front three snaps.
Step 7. Snap the center snap down. Drill and snap the other two.
Step 8. Pull the aluminum channel forward. It fits a certain way, but you need to make sure that the channel part (not the flange) is facing the back of the truck. You should be able to see how this fits, and with the door open and no pressure on the fabric install the top screw (or rivet, however you decide to fasten these) and work down from there. I installed 4 screws for this.
Step 9. Carefully close the door. You will hear the material stretch as you do this, but these are supposed to tight on the frames.

6. Now you should be able to install the latch and close the door for good. The latch is kind of lame as even if shimmed it still flops around when you open the door, but the pressure created by the stretched material keeps them closed tightly.

7. Go back and install the snap on the bottom front of the door. This snap will pull any wrinkles out of the door near the bottom so measure it carefully.

Overall it was a pretty painless install. I am still working on the kinks, but the doors work and seal perfectly. I was fortunate enough to get a set with the windows in the lower half, I always liked these on Jeeps when I was a kid, so I am happy to have these on.

I would be happy to answer any questions, I did a lot of research on these and other doors for the past year, so I think that I may have some useful info.

Key take aways...Measure everything, hinge must be 4" from top of windshield frame, and gap between back of insert needs to be close to 33.75" if not exact...Then use your eye to see the fit from there.

Good luck...

Rich :cool:

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Some shots of the doors before and after. The nice part is that they do not interfere with the half doors in any way, so I can run them in the warmer months.

after these pix, I polished out the clear windows with a Mother's kit from WalMart. It really did a nice job of bringing back the windows.

Attachments

• 2011-11-05_13-18-52_270.jpg
    2011-11-05_13-18-52_270.jpg
    121.9 KB · Views: 291
  • 2011-11-05_14-47-07_693.jpg
    2011-11-05_14-47-07_693.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 301
  • 2011-11-05_14-47-12_870.jpg
    2011-11-05_14-47-12_870.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 288
  • 2011-11-05_16-14-14_599.jpg
    2011-11-05_16-14-14_599.jpg
    137.7 KB · Views: 285
  • 2011-11-05_16-16-13_341.jpg
    2011-11-05_16-16-13_341.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 293
  • 2011-11-06_14-34-24_398.jpg
    2011-11-06_14-34-24_398.jpg
    138.7 KB · Views: 311

Scoop

Contributor
Have Bronco, Will Travel
Loc.
Cuchara, CO
Looks good. I really like the windows in the lower door. If I ever have to get my doors reupholstered I'd like to do some lower windows.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Looks good. I really like the windows in the lower door. If I ever have to get my doors reupholstered I'd like to do some lower windows.

Agreed, they really add to the look of the door.

OP
OP
Sporto

Sporto

Do you have any pics of how the mounting bracket installed on top of the bed rail?

The only thing on the bed rail that integrates with the doors is the latch. It uses the vertical door bar from the top as a solid point to secure the door. I have read that over time the latch can wear a hole in the top material, so I wrapped that part of it up in pipe foam to reduce friction against the material, plus it holds it better. The PO of the Bestop had similar doors on their Bronco as well, and they welded some kind of flat bar to the bed rail hardware of the Bestop. I think that they were intent upon using the flat bar as the leverage point for the door to protect the top material, but the latching bar does not come close enough to it for use. I will post pix later, so you can better see what I am talking about.

R

Attachments

• 2011-11-20_22-55-33_72.jpg
    2011-11-20_22-55-33_72.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 133
  • 2011-11-20_22-55-41_77.jpg
    2011-11-20_22-55-41_77.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 132
  • 2011-11-20_22-57-36_861.jpg
    2011-11-20_22-57-36_861.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 139
Last edited: