• Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

Another cheap rear disc conversion idea

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
First off- I recommend this for something other than your pristine mall crawler.
A fair amount of fab work is needed.

I used a set of 4 door 91' Sidekick rotors. They are vented (unlike the 2 door ones) and are 5x5.5. They fit right over the 9" axle shafts and there is no need for grinding or fooling with lug studs. I did plasma a semi-circle in each to allow for access to the retainer plate nuts.

I used a set of $10 Speedway Motors weld on caliper mounts and the big (non-metric) GM calipers. I did have to weld a 1/4" thick 'shim' on the piston side of the one pad in order to make the big caliper work with the thinner rotor. I didn't want the piston extending too far. In all, I did it for under $100 with a cheat code on the Advance Auto site and some already had stainless flex hoses. Works great! I am using a cutting brake on the rig as well and it really likes these discs over the stock drums!

Attachments

• Rear Discs 001.JPG
    Rear Discs 001.JPG
    68 KB · Views: 139
  • Rear Discs 008.JPG
    Rear Discs 008.JPG
    68.6 KB · Views: 133
  • Rear Discs 009.JPG
    Rear Discs 009.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 134
  • Rear Discs 010.JPG
    Rear Discs 010.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 137
  • Rear Discs 011.JPG
    Rear Discs 011.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 140
  • Rear Discs 012.JPG
    Rear Discs 012.JPG
    66.2 KB · Views: 138
  • Valve covers 014.JPG
    Valve covers 014.JPG
    72.1 KB · Views: 157
  • Rear Discs 014.JPG
    Rear Discs 014.JPG
    68.7 KB · Views: 150
  • Rear Discs 015.JPG
    Rear Discs 015.JPG
    67.7 KB · Views: 172
  • Rear Discs 016.JPG
    Rear Discs 016.JPG
    73.9 KB · Views: 164
  • Rear Discs 017.JPG
    Rear Discs 017.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 160

Broncobowsher

Total hack
Did that to several years ago as surge trailer brakes in the 9" in my pickup bed trailer. They fit under stock 15" wheels

I used the original Tracker calipers and fabbed up my own brackets. No need to weld shims to the pads. Speedway offeres caliper shims if you want to use the GM calipers on thin rotors without welding shims on as well, it is a machined puck that fits on the piston.

The rotors are now lugcentric, but they fit so increadibly well that it isn't an issue. If the rotor doesn't fit, you probably have a bent stud. The rotor fits that tight.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
Good info. Didn't know about the piston shims. Makes sense and is a good idea! Yeah, the rotors fit very nicely on the studs.

br0nc0xrapt0r

Loves pickles
Looks fantastic, I think I will use this route as the rear on my 69. Are the side kick rotors from the front or the rear? Also do you think this would work with the caddy calipers that have the Mech E-brake?

Thanks

Broncobowsher

Total hack
I used front rotors and calipers. I don't think they have rear rotors, I think they are drums in back. The little front brakes are will sized for the rear.

I suspect that mechanical park brake calipers can work. I don't wee why not.
Found the GM spacers I mentioned before http://www.speedwaymotors.com/Speedway-Brake-Pad-Spacer,2147.html
I forget how thing the Tracker rotors are, they may not be thick enough.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
what he said. rotors are from the front. caddy calipers would work fine as well. i think they are actually a little narrower, so no shims should be required. caddy pistons don't have a hollow section in them, so the spacer idea wouldn't work on those. i liked the idea of being able to swap axles w/out having to screw around with an affixed brake rotor, in case of axle breakage on the race rig.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
I used a set of $10 Speedway Motors weld on caliper mounts and the big (non-metric) GM calipers. !

Would you happen to have the PN for those mounts? I found some in the Speedway catalog for 10 bucks but they say the caliper pin spacing is 7 1/6" ..the ones I have only measure 5 1/2" pin to pin, but were advertised as being "Caddy calipers with e-brake". I'm cornfused...

Last edited:

Apogee

Contributor
Bronco Guru
What year would you be looking for on the caddy calipers?

The 1976-1977 Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers used the larger D52 caliper body and 7+ inch pin spacing. To the best of my knowledge, 1978 was a transition year to the 5.47" [139mm] pin spacing metric calipers.

Aside from the parking brake, these calipers also have smaller piston diameters than the front calipers, 2.5" versus 2-15/16", making them much better suited for a short wheelbase rig with either Ford truck (2-7/8"), T-bird/LTD (3-1/8") or GM front D52 calipers (2-15/16"), albeit still somewhat oversized IMHO. The smaller metric calipers used on the 1978-1985 Eldorado's have even smaller pistons, 2-1/32", making them an even better choice strictly from a brake balance perspective.

bmc69

Contributor
Bronco Guru
The 1976-1977 Cadillac Eldorado rear calipers used the larger D52 caliper body and 7+ inch pin spacing. To the best of my knowledge, 1978 was a transition year to the 5.47" [139mm] pin spacing metric calipers.

Aside from the parking brake, these calipers also have smaller piston diameters than the front calipers, 2.5" versus 2-15/16", making them much better suited for a short wheelbase rig with either Ford truck (2-7/8"), T-bird/LTD (3-1/8") or GM front D52 calipers (2-15/16"), albeit still somewhat oversized IMHO. The smaller metric calipers used on the 1978-1985 Eldorado's have even smaller pistons, 2-1/32", making them an even better choice strictly from a brake balance perspective.

Awesome!...thanks! Went back to the Speedway catalog and sure enough..the metric brackets are correct for my calipers and still only 10 bucks each. One disk-braked BB 9" going together....;)

Sorry for hijack.

OP
OP
broncosbybart

broncosbybart

Bronco Guru
thanks for posting. was gone for the weekend. i will say that the weld on brackets require a fair bit of 'fitting' to get them set up. my application is on a race rig, no e-brake.

SpareParts

Bronco Guru
The easiest way I have found to "fit" them was to install the calipers and lines. Then mount the rotor on the axle and mock everything up. Have someone hold the brakes on while you weld them in place. This makes sure they centered and in the correct position. Of coarse the rotors have to be secured with lug the lug nuts first.

The Lincoln continental studs from a 79' work well with the 70's and 80's truck rotors too, it doesn't use any thing extra to hold the axle in either. In a race application I would think a thinner rotor would warp?