• Just a reminder that you won't be able to start new posts or reply to existings posts in the Archive forum.

This is where all the old posts go so they can still be used for reference and searched.
  • Welcome to ClassicBroncos! - You are currently viewing the forums as a GUEST. To take advantage of all the site features, please take a moment to register. It's fast, simple and absolutely free. So please join our community today!
    If you have problems registering or can't log into your account, please contact Admin.

time for help... VIN stuff

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
so 8 years ago i bought my bronco in colorado bone stock. registered and titled it. (previous colorado title)
~2 years later i put in mustang motor, and 4r70w
among lots of others... also a tuffy glovebox!

it took every bit of 5-6 years to get it running and driving.
in that time, multiple moves between states happened, and blaa blaa
well now here in vegas and the truck has been up and running, albeit not perfect still, since OCT 2011.

so i decided lets get this thing registered. :) and titled in nevada now. well i had a friends... friend (COP) to come to the house and do a VIN inspection in house. (you know spare me the hassle of trailering it down and all that) well, the moment he sees the vin tag in the glove box... which I TOOK OFF THE STOCK DOOR :-[ and reattached... he freaks out! ?:? he informs me that i just committed a crime, and he should seize my bronco right now!!! whoo whoo whoo! what? :cry:

so apparently, i screwed up! he makes some calls, and informs me that i need to take it to the DMV and let "his" guy, another friend, take a look. since the engine block is different, since the glove box is different, they will go off the frame.. (well no big deal right...) well i did a search and i think i found the locations of secret VINs on the frame... WELL I CANT FIND ANYTHING!!! ?:?

which leads me to.... either the frame was tampered with prior to my purchase, or IM BLIND!

NOW, my issue is... what if i take it to the DMV and they dont find a VIN? or worse yet, find one and its different than that of the title?

gentleman!!! your thoughts?? (as for VIN's i checked, the three on the top of the passenger rail! front, middle, mid-rear) nothing

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
The VIN on your frame is the actual VIN. The tag on the kick panels or glove boxes are data tags. It is not against the law to stamp or etch the correct vin on parts of the vehicle. In fact, companies actually sell that as a service, and some insurance companies offer discounts if done. You just can't use the new etchings as the "actual vin" That said, it is a crime to alter the numbers. If this cop knew any better, he would have looked on the frame to begin with.

The vin on the frame can be found. I found a brass brush and a little water helps find it. The lighting has to be just right too.

OP
OP
EBCRAWLR

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
i guess the big problem was i removed the vin tag/ data plate that was attached to the original glove box with the "special" rivets. and then used my own rivets and attached it to the new glove box door. so i guess i can understand that it does kinda look like i was trying to switch the tag and pull a fast one. (although not the case at all)

i spent a good deal of time trying to find the vin on the frame, i will try even harder! :) haha

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Unless someone took a grinder to you should be able to find it and if they did I would think you would be able to see grinder marks? like brianstrange
said,do the brush and water or when dry, try rubbing some chalk around in that area.

OP
OP
EBCRAWLR

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
Kevin Marti sells the proper rivets
;D i hear what your saying loud and clear! haha

yeah im gonnna really get in there and see if i cant get a number to appear!! there doesnt appear to be any grind marks. i thought the same and looked for that.... nothing like that... it does kinda look like i could see a number, but i think thats my mind trying to connect dots of rust to form a number. LOL

Khorne11

Loc.
Porterville, CA
Not trying to hijack thread but I just installed a tuffy glove box. I still have my door with vin on it. What do you guys recommend?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Not trying to hijack thread but I just installed a tuffy glove box. I still have my door with vin on it. What do you guys recommend?

Make sure the vin on your frame exists, and save the door so nobody tries to hijack your vin!

OP
OP
EBCRAWLR

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
as for right now, and what im gonna do, i would recommend... absolutely, make sure your vin on the frame matches your title... as long as that is true, i believe the "legal" thing to do would be to go down to DMV and let them re-attach the vin, or maybe they will give you a new VIN... (idk yet). from as i understand it, the cop friend says the moment i took the door off the dash... 4 bolts by the way! LOL... i broke the law because i removed the vin tag from its stock location.

shamu

Lucky as the day is long.
Loc.
Sachse,Tx
Hi Jack? Well I have to laugh a little bit here because the vin plate on a 1966 and 1967 bronco are impossible to read/see since they are located on the inside kick panel. You really need to be very good with a piece of paper and a lead pencil to sipher the vin. Or trying to get a good pic of the plate is a challenge also.
I will try to find the vin# on my frame to help you with a good reference point.

OP
OP
EBCRAWLR

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
Hi Jack? Well I have to laugh a little bit here because the vin plate on a 1966 and 1967 bronco are impossible to read/see since they are located on the inside kick panel. You really need to be very good with a piece of paper and a lead pencil to sipher the vin. Or trying to get a good pic of the plate is a challenge also.
I will try to find the vin# on my frame to help you with a good reference point.

i looked off this reference... theres a hole, oval hole, then another hole! thats where i have looked to no avail...

http://www.supermotors.net/registry/media/876772

half cab

Contributor
Guru Bronco
Yep your in the right spot.Just across from the starter on pass side top of the frame.Just wondering what year is your Bronco?

brianstrange

Bronco Guru
Looking at the top of the frame from passengers side.

Attachments

• vin.jpg
    vin.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 90
OP
OP
EBCRAWLR

EBCRAWLR

Loc.
las vegas,NV
Yep your in the right spot.Just across from the starter on pass side top of the frame.Just wondering what year is your Bronco?

the one in question is a 70, but i also have a half cab 72, and cant find it there either.

my 70 has the james duff shock hoops, and they might be in the way. (although, they are about 4 inches away from the bottom hole, so i should at least see a few #'s and nothing! ?:?